Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

the one we used to go to was on Chesterfield road,,at Woodseats, we used to go to Woodseats cinema on Saturday morning and then to get a drink there. They served a drink called a Green Godess, but my cousin always referred to it as a Green Gozzer weren't we all so innocent then? .still, we were luckier than kids today

I was in Rotherham last month and there's a temperance bar which sells Sarsparilla not that far from the main church.

Hi Dave Br - you are absolutely right, Jack Lee was the nicest person you could hope to meet. We all felt big when, aged 13 or 14, we propped up the bar drinking pints of sarsparilla! You could also buy his "spesh" - or special sarsparilla, which had some "blood tonic" in it. I don't know what was in the tonic but it added a slightly burnt flavour, and as far as I know my blood is still in good condition..:P

I'd love to know what became of Jack. I like to think he and his wife are still around somewhere, I guess well into their 80s by now, and enjoying life as they well deserve.

Is this the same bar i used in the late 50s early 60s known as Harveys sasparilla bar . I think it was not far from Patnicks ex army surplus store on the other side of Langsett rd.At that time he ran a football team called Harveys wanderers.we played in the Sports and Athletic league, great man great team .

Hi tinytingle - the location you give is right for Jack's at 356 Langsett Road (near the corner of Bamforth Street, almost opposite Patnicks which was on the corner of Channing Street). The sign was always in the name 'Jack's' - click here - and it was run by Jack Lee, who took over from George Brooks in the late 1940s, but the business might have been known locally as Harvey's.

There used to be one on Ecclesall Rd opposite the old Star Picture Palace,and we used to go in after dropping of the tram after footballing in Endcliffe Park and sit like men of the world drinking Sarsaparilla from the same type of pint pots our Fathers drank from in the Pub,and we felt real men of the world!!,as you say PopT Happy Days.

Hi

Like you, and many others on this thread, I too remember the one on Ecclesall Road. We used to live just off the bottom of Clarence Street and so The Star picture house was a regular haunt. Then across to Hartley's and on to the Ward's chip shop. We always found it amazing that we would all start eating the chips at the same time and all finish at exactly the same time. We swore that he must have been able to count how many chips he was putting into each portion. Lol. Happy days.

Grannypat

Edited by grannypat
Wrong spelling.

Hi tinytingle - the location you give is right for Jack's at 356 Langsett Road (near the corner of Bamforth Street, almost opposite Patnicks which was on the corner of Channing Street). The sign was always in the name 'Jack's' - click here - and it was run by Jack Lee, who took over from George Brooks in the late 1940s, but the business might have been known locally as Harvey's.

Thanks Hillsbro you are probably right , but i am sure the owner at that time was called Harvey hence the name of the team, he used to run us to the matches in his old dormobile and supply orange slices and bubble gum at half time.he would do anything for the kids great man.(thats the way to do it):cool:

Sarsaparilla shop/bar on Leeds Road near brown baileys and on Attercliffe common near Baltic Lane some even had juke boxes in so you could put your favourite song on and have a sarsaparilla a lot of these bars were herberlist

spent many a night in jacks in the early 70s suppin pints o sas and playing on the pinball, remember once turning the score right back to zero

:cool::cool:

Sarsaparilla shop/bar on Leeds Road near brown baileys and on Attercliffe common near Baltic Lane some even had juke boxes in so you could put your favourite song on and have a sarsaparilla a lot of these bars were herberlist

I remember a couple on Ecclesall Road, we thought we were so cool sat in there drinking sarsaparilla in the special glasses, to be honest never liked it much, still don't' but I was cool:help:

spent many a night in jacks in the early 70s suppin pints o sas and playing on the pinball, remember once turning the score right back to zero

What with a heated pin:hihi::hihi:

It was more or less opposite Highton Street, a bit further on from Lentons fruit & veg, I remember buying sasparilla.

Sarsaparilla bar next to Abbeydale picture palace. Used to visit late 60,s lived on Broadfield Rd. 6 doors up from club many happy memories.