Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

Yes - Jack Lee was one of the best. He also brewed his own sarsparilla, instead of using cordial. This photo will take us all back!

I'm getting a "malicious website" warning when I click on your link hillsbro. It might've been hacked or worse.

I'm getting a "malicious website" warning when I click on your link hillsbro. It might've been hacked or worse.
Hi Steptoad - well I dunno (this is a bit too technical for me.;)) but the photo is on www.photobucket.com. I just looked at it without any warning appearing, and Mrs hillsbro had the same experience with her computer.

I also just looked at hillsbro's photo without a warning being flagged up. :)

I've just had a look at the "threat" and it's this:- Trojan.Maliframe!html

It's too technical for me too, but apparently it's low danger.

I just followed the link to the photo without any warning appearing (by the way, hillsboro - the photo really did take me back!) I'd be surprised if the www.photobucket.com site was unsafe, but you never know. Maybe a computer-minded Forummer can tell us about "Trojan.Maliframe!html". :confused:

I remember the one which I think was on Abbeydale Rd. We used to go there after swimming at Heeley Baths on a Sat morning, buy a bar of 'Fourboys' chocolate and a sarsaparilla and sit in one of the litte booths. Thought we were in the pub. Lol

Great photo just how I remember it. We all used to meet there most nights in the late 70s . Jack was a nice fellow did a fantastic hot chocolate. All gave us free songs on the juke box. Great days.

Hi Dave Br - you are absolutely right, Jack Lee was the nicest person you could hope to meet. We all felt big when, aged 13 or 14, we propped up the bar drinking pints of sarsparilla! You could also buy his "spesh" - or special sarsparilla, which had some "blood tonic" in it. I don't know what was in the tonic but it added a slightly burnt flavour, and as far as I know my blood is still in good condition..:P

I'd love to know what became of Jack. I like to think he and his wife are still around somewhere, I guess well into their 80s by now, and enjoying life as they well deserve.

Jack had white hair when I was a kid and that was over 30 years ago so he must be knocking on. Glad he is still about.

Actually I think there were two on Abbeydale Road, one by the cinema which we used to call "Pops" as I think it was owned by two brothers called Poppleton in the late 40s/early 50s. There was another smaller one that sold a few other things beside drinks opposite Abbeydale school near Walker's chip shop. That one was a bit drab and we called it "Dirty Doris's".

i remember the one on abbydale rd which we would go to after swiming at healey batha and there was one on gleadledd rd near to where the old cinema was you can still buy sasapilla in some shops like farm shops or chatsworth shop but havingg tried them they dont taste anything like the ones that were poured from a barrel or maybe its just me yearning for the old days i think it was 3 old pennys a glass

I remember the saspirella bar on Abbeydale Road. I remember as a youngster a day out in the school holidays would be to go to Heeley Swimming Baths and then climb up the hill to Abbeydale to road to go to a chemists shop that had what we called a Children's Bar. We used to buy half a pint of saspirella and thought we were oh so grown up! What innocent days. I had no idea until I read these posts that they existed in other parts of Sheffield.

Yeh Me too.... :hihi: