Visits to Auschwitz

the missus went about 3 years ago ,got a bit p***ed off with the japenese tourist as they had no respect . if its thursday it must be auschwitz, box ticked sort of thing

the missus went about 3 years ago ,got a bit p***ed off with the japenese tourist as they had no respect .
if its thursday it must be auschwitz, box ticked sort of thing

eh? what do you mean? :huh:

eh? what do you mean? :huh:

it was a thing to see and do as part of a european package trip ,thursday auschwitz , wednesday eiffel tower , thursday tower of london . take the photo , buy the t shirt , send the postcard . tick the box done it

it was a thing to see and do as part of a european package trip ,thursday auschwitz , wednesday eiffel tower , thursday tower of london . take the photo , buy the t shirt , send the postcard . tick the box done it

i c thanks!

I'm not sure that I'd want to go and visit and open myself to it all, even though I do think on some level that we all ought to go and to understand, in order that the world never allows such a level of inhumanity to ever be tolerated again.

no matter how much I had read

How much I had heard

How many movies I'd seen

Or what I thought I knew

Nothing prepared me for Buildings of Auschwitz

Or the sheer size and the horrors of Birkenau

no matter how much I had read

How much I had heard

How many movies I'd seen

Or what I thought I knew

Nothing prepared me for Buildings of Auschwitz

Or the sheer size and the horrors of Birkenau

Yet some people will deny it ever happened

I have a friend who could tell them otherwise.

hen i asked her where she was from, she said

'I have only lived in Austalia. My life started when I arrived in Australia. Before that, there was only death'

I had no idea what she meant by it until months later when she was gardening and she rolled up her sleeves thus revealing a number on her arm.

I haven't been to Auschwitz but I've been to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp on the outskirts of Berlin and it was one of the most confronting experiences of my life.

Sachsenhausen wasn't an extermination camp, but for a long time it was the headquarters for all concentration camp operations through Europe and where they tested extermination methods, conducted horrible medical experiments, etc so needless to say it's a pretty grim place.

As my friend and I walked out the gates, we ran into this old German professor who asked us what we thought of it and he got talking to us about how for a long time no one knew what went on in these camps and what will we discover in future years about what's been happening in Iraq, etc? He certainly gave us a lot to think about that day.

As I said, very confronting experience (and from what I've heard Auschwitz is much worse) but I think you still need to go if only to realise the sheer horror of those years.

I would visit if I had the opportunity. I will probably have to settle for the museum in Washington DC, though.

This was posted on a website I use from time to time the other day.

It has become so simple for everyone to argue, to debate and to discuss the anti semitic stance of so many senior BNP members.

How easily we condemn them for their irrational racism, their vile politics, their hidden agendas. It has become to some extent a battleground between holocaust deniers and others who are horrified that anyone could hold such beliefs.

But we are all guilty of using statistics to take the moral high ground, figures of 6 million, 5 million. Statistics in this case are unfortunately much like a drunk uses a lamp post used for support rather than illumination.

It is the people behind these figures that we need to acknowledge, the people who were brutally murdered, gassed, tortured and destroyed. Lest we forget these people were not statistics, they were mothers, first time fathers, babies who spoke for the first time,young girls who just fell in love, young men who just got their first job or passed their first exam. Grandfathers who loved their family, mothers who reared a whole family, doctors, nurses ,bankers , people like you and me.

Too easily we become desensitised and too easily we dehumanise these unfortunate people.

To add further insult to mans inhumanity to his fellow man, we are all staring at the face of the disgusting Nick Griffin who has ridiculed the holocaust, denied it happened and has tried to backtrack his words.