Sign in to follow this  

'Relaxed' drinking up times City Centre?

Yeah you have to tell 'em to sling their 'ook.

I wonder if things will improve under the new licensing laws.... roll on November!

The Bar I used to work at up north didn't generally have a problem with people staying over the 20 minute drinking time... unless there was a special night on at a local club and we just wanted to escape off out! Our problem was the bouncers, we had doorstaff on the door who were contracted out from an external company, as soon as the town hall clock hit 11.20 they were dragging people out and dumping them on the streets. They also worked for a nearby club so were desperate to get to the club after the bar shut, and therefore kicked them out as soon as possible.

There was little the management team could do about it, as the owner was the one who employed the bouncers, even though the it's the general managers name on the license, not the owners.

But it's the trendy town centre places that spew out the most trouble makers onto the streets, so the police are on hand and watching. Kicking out time stringing out to 23.30 or 40 is a good way to loose your licence or not get it renewed if the police don't support your application.

If word gets round that you're more lax with drinking up time than anywhere else, you'll attract the sort of people who take a particular interest in that info.

Originally posted by Andy C

I wonder if things will improve under the new licensing laws.... roll on November!

It depends how bars use the new licencing laws. Remember just because extended licences are available doesn't mean everyone will want them. For example if a place currently closes at 11pm, they may apply for an extension til 1am, but they still have to get people out when they close. I don't see many managers/licencees happily sitting around until 5am while a couple of people finish off their last shandys. I'm sure the bigger clubs, especially if they already host all nighters, will be happy to keep the bar open later but other than that i predict just a small shift towards later opening bars rather than a 24-hour free for all everywhere.

Anyone know how supermarkets and the like are affected? I'm waiting for a reply from Spar, imagine the chaos if the Ecce Road Spar is selling alcohol when the pubs and clubs close?!?! Not great for my business either... :(

-PK-