Anyone born in Pearl Street 1920 to 1950?

My mum was born in Pearl Street Sharrow in 1924, I was born in the same house in 1946. I was just interested if anyone remembers the street and the people who lived there then.

Jacqui

My dad's elder half sister Kate Addy and her future husband Ernest Broomhead lived in Pearl Street in the 1920s. They had two daughters Barbara and Kathleen

A mate of mine lived on Pearl st. but I just can't remember his name but I think there was a passage, (Gennal ) from Fentonville St. to Pearl St. and he lived around there. He was a regular at Arnies Washington Arms. If he's still living he'll be about 81. Mind you I could be completely wrong about the whereabouts of Pearl St. since it's about 50 years since I was around that area. I'll have a Google.

Hi, if he was a regular at the Washington Arms he probably knows my mum's family The Wilsons who lived up a genel at number 35, what's his name, I'll tell my mum and see if she knows him, she's 84.

Thanks, Jacqui

My Grandfather was called Garratt, he lived there and his trade was pearl button maker when they were made from mother of pearl.

I was the Marples Family, I used to go into Arnies to play snooker.

A lot of Pearl St kids in the 30's,went to Sharrow Lane school,as I did. I remember one or two. Colin Wood,Ernest House (met him in Ceylon in'42) and another called Williamson,can't remember his christian name. Does anyone remember the Winklley family too? I lived not far away on Ashley Rd.

The Marples had a shop a few doors up from our gennel where we used to buy our sweets.

My great grandmother lived at 7 Pearl Street - She was called Lucy Blanche Whomersley and Walton - she married twice. My grandmother Beatrice Ida Whomersley married in 1920 and it shows her address as 7 Pearl Street. Anyone remember the Whomersley family - there was Olive, Laura, Frances, Florence, Eva, George, Herbert and I think a John Frederick

In the 1901 census my great grandad and family lived , according to the census at 43 ct 3 h Pearl St. I suppose this means the 3rd house in court 43, or can anyone give me a better interpretation?

In the 1901 census my great grandad and family lived , according to the census at 43 ct 3 h Pearl St. I suppose this means the 3rd house in court 43, or can anyone give me a better interpretation?

Hi Janner

Yes you are correct. If you are interested, Sheffield Local Studies Library, Surrey Street, have maps of ths area dated around 1950 time which will show the numbering for the Courts, but not the houses. However if you can work out from the available trade directories which direction the numbering went for houses which were actually on the street itself, then you will be able to work out the location of 3 house in Court 43, as the numbering in the Courts usually ran in the same direction.

My mum was born in Pearl Street Sharrow in 1924, I was born in the same house in 1946. I was just interested if anyone remembers the street and the people who lived there then.

Jacqui

I grew up in Pearl Street and went to St Matthias School. I can remember the

Blitz when parts of the street were badly damaged. The Victory Party celebrations when the Street was Decorated with flags across the street. Had some happy times there. My mums family all lived there. We lived at 123 and opposite our house was a big tree that grew in the back garden of a house in Cemetery Rd. Yes I have many happy memories of Pearl St.