Center Parcs Sherwood.

CP can be expensive if you do loads of activities other than walking, cycling, jogging, swimming.

Everything else costs but you don't have to - I generally limited myself to a couple of sessions - maybe once in the sauna and archery, say, i.e. things that I enjoy but wouldn't normally do.

Otherwise, enjoy chilling and messing about in water - the pool, chutes, water rapids have always been fun for our groups of adults and kids.

(And, if you had asked before booking, I would have said go in a big group - I have been in groups filling 2 chalets with three families (6 adults, 4 kids) with each pair of adults preparing one evening meal each.)

Worst thing about CP is a tendency to overdo it in the water and if you are susceptible to ENT infections that's the place to get 'em!

Best bit about CP is the chance to be outdoors in a pool at night with a clear sky and snow! but maybe not in May ...

We went to CP at Whinfell Forest in Cumbria last year with our little lad who was 20 months. It was excellent but seeing as we had the little one we did'nt do any activities apart from the swimming which was brilliant.

A great place to chill with the accomadation decent. Would'nt recommend the bikes though - very costly unless you are using them alot - if we go again we will walk.

Take your own bikes if you have them - remember to take your bike lock as well.

Activites can really add up. There are some cheap things but not a lot of them. Obviously you can just go and laze around the pool area and it won't cost you more than the villa + food, but then you're not really experiencing everything.

The spa is amazing if you don't have kids or can offload them for a few hours.

The pool area got really really busy on the Sunday (I think) when I was there. During the week it was much better.

The villa (standard) was reasonably equipped but I'd take things like toilet roll, decent knives, and any items you consider to be essential. As they either wont have them or the quality might be not as good as what you are used to.

Shopping onsite was reasonable, but you are a (somewhat) captive audience so obviously the eateries are not the cheapest around.

I've heard they dont charge for you to walk in the woods at the moment but there are plans to, everything other than that cycling (own bikes) and swimming are chargeable.

seem to remember heated floors, and def remember HUGE spiders

We have been going to centre parcs for years. It is excellent, we are going in a couple of weeks and it will be our grandson's first visit, can't wait to take him in the pool. The supermarket is no difference in price to anywhere else. Last year we managed to get quite a bit of bbq stuff on offer. Yes, it can be expensive if you are doing loads of activities. If you hire or take cycles, cycle out of the village to Sherwood Pines. We have been to all four centre parcs and Sherwood is the best, the worst is Whinfell (mind you we did go just after they bought it from Butlins). The chalets are usually clean and well equipped and you shouldn't need to take anything with you apart from towels if you are in a comfort villa and haven't ordered any. I agree with what somebody else said and suggest taking a small amount of washing up liquid. Eating out is not too expensive. We normally go out for breakfast (pity they stopped the pre booked breakfast - worked out cheaper). Enjoy yourselves, when you go through the entrance you will suddenly feel relaxed, it is so peaceful. Hope you like wild life, you get swans knocking on the door and squirrels in the rooms if you leave the door open.

I've heard they dont charge for you to walk in the woods at the moment but there are plans to, everything other than that cycling (own bikes) and swimming are chargeable.

Swimming is (or at least was last year) inclusive.

Pretty much every other activity is charged for, but they don't make any secret of it.

seem to remember heated floors, and def remember HUGE spiders

Can`t believe they`d charge to walk in the woods. We went in Jan with our young grandson and it looks like they`re doing some major work on the central area where the shops are. We always enjoy our stay. We`ve been a few times and always take as much food and drink as we can get in the boot. We did go to the pancake house once and ate out at the Jardin de sport. Like others have said you make it as expensive or cheap as you like. Have a great time.

Me and my girlfriend went for a weekend break last June to Sherwood with another couple

It was the weekend before the big floods so the weather was awful but it didnt spoil it. In fact, as it had been raining constantly for about 10 days, our original chalet was flooded and we were upgraded to a 2 storey Villa which was fantastic. Ideally located, private car space etc. Really well equipped and loads of wildlife around when we got the chance to sit outside having a BBQ.

In the main public areas and car parks, the place seems really busy but once you go off the main roads into the accommodation areas, the place is quite peaceful.

We generally ate in the villa for breakfast / lunch and then booked meals out in the evening. There are a couple of really nice restaurants, if a little on the pricey side.

If you have your own bikes, take them. We hired and it cost £40 + per couple for 3 days. Other than the swimming (which is good if you dont mind queuing for the slides) we did archery and had an afternoon in the Aqua Sana. Overall, for the amount we spent we could have had a long weekend in Europe but we had a great time.

The last time I went it was quite busy and the activities got booked up really quickly.

Yep, not to mention it's standing room only in the pool, and you couldn't get a table for dinner at any of the restaurants. The facilities are way too small for the number of people that are there in peak times. Middle of Winter is the best time to go, when the kids are meant to be at school (though you'll be suprised how many arn't).

It is a nice place to relax and walk. Pretty much all the activities are charged for and are quite expensive. Meals are also very dear, you will get no change from £100 for a family of 4, even dining in the pizza house.

A couple of suggestions for your evening meals. Come out of Centre Parcs and turn left, 500m down the road on the traffic lights is a pub called The Robin Hood, it does a carvery most nights for £5.95 (2 for £10). If you go straight over the traffic lights another 500m on the right you've got a Ma Hubbards with their £1.99 meals.

In Edwinstowe centre you have the Maid Marion restarant, not bad prices but a bit more exclusive than the other two.

Hope you like wild life, you get swans knocking on the door and squirrels in the rooms if you leave the door open.

They also like hobnobs and feed from your hand!

We've just had a break there. You can now pre-book a lot of the activities on-line as long as you have your booking reference number. You should get a booklet through the post giving you all the details.

Sherwood's changed a bit since we were last there. The Italian place (Lucciano's?) has closed down and they're making some changes to the entrance of the pool area. There's a Starbucks there now too.

We didn't do any additional activities as babybonny is a bit young for most of them anyway and we just wanted quality time together as a family and it's great for that. Most of the places on site have an indoor and outdoor play area for children and a lot of the play areas are age specific, so there's something for everyone.

If you go up to the country club there's a nature centre next door. This leads you to the bird hide where you can sit and watch a good variety of birds - finches, woodpeckers etc. It's nice just to walk around and you'll spot squirrels, rabbits, hares and pheasants as well as loads of ducks, swans, geese etc.

The pool wasn't too busy while we were there this week. There's a good area for little one's as well as the main pool. I love the outdoor area and they've got a large bubble pool and some lane swimming now too (off to the right hand side at the back). We didn't eat out at all, as on a tight budget. Made a big pan of chilli and took it with us. Had a bbq one evening.

The Aqua Sana is fantastic, didn't get to spend any time there more's the pity.