Sign in to follow this  

What do you reckon of southerners?

Hi All,

I'm about to move up to Sheffield to start a masters at the Uni. I've chatted to a couple of people I know who said that they didn't get much hassle for being a southerner, but what do you reckon?

Are any of you lot actually southerners? Any useful advice, other than the obvious things like don't go into rough pubs and shoot your mouth off.:)

You have nothing to worry about, there are loads of people from all over studying at the university.

Most Sheffielders, myself included, don't have much to do with the students. The students have their pubs, we have ours and but we also have pubs where sheffielders and students drink together in perfect harmony :D

Seriously most sheffielders are perfectly welcoming and friendly to the students. Every single student I've met has always said how friendly we are and how much they love it here.

You might get a bit of ribbing for being a shandy drinking southerner but it's all good natured fun that's all.

Hope you enjoy sheffield, I've no doubts you'll love it.

Steelblade is right, you'll have no problems in Sheffield being a Southerner. You'll probably get a bit of ribbing, but thats natural. I got it when i lived in Brighton!

There are lots of student from all over the place so fear not.

Although, i have a lot to do with students, usually throwing the rowdy ones outta bars. Or lettin em bribe me to jump the Q (we'll keep that quiet tho).8)

Cheers guys,

I know that divide between the city and the students well enough, having grown up in oxford. We used to chuck the students out of our pubs just by the power of the cold stare.

But anyway, I've heard good things about the north. Bring on that Peak District...

I've lived in Sheffield for 5 years, after moving up from North Kent.

I've never had any hassle about being a southerner. On the whole I find people in Sheffield are very friendly.

I get the impression a northerner would get more stick for being down south than they do for being up here.

I know someone from Chesterfield and we get on perfectly well. So long as you haven't got a grating Eliza Doolittle "gertcha" or Grange Hill "fing" you'll be fine.

as long as you talk slower than usual you should be ok ;)

only problem i find with southerners is they talk too fast! :lol:

people from yorkshire talk way to slow. they drag every vowel.

Guest costessey
Originally posted by kittykat

I get the impression a northerner would get more stick for being down south than they do for being up here.

in my experience, probably true, although i've been up here 10 years and still get accused of drinking shandy, but it beats wearing a flat cap ( probably done more in lancs) and racing whippets

Not that i've ever been a w*nker about it and utterly irrationally since my best mate is from Crawley and I have tons of southern mates, but if someone asks me what i think of southerners, i *do* have a bit of negativity in me. This is mostly true of groups of them, especially football fans.

The accent really grates. The attitude is flashy and superior. Their perception of the North is that we are throwbacks unable to be categorised as equals. This conversation actually occured in a pub in Camden:

Me: Want a fag?

Him: Erm...what sort?

Me: Marly Lights.

Him: What? You get Marlboro up north?

Me: Erm...yes.

Him: Yeah, but you can't, like, buy a whole lot at once, can you?

Me: Erm...well, if i go into a shop i can buy as many as they have, limited only by how much money i have.

Him: Ohhhh...'cos i was going to say, i could buy some here and get them sent up to you...

:o

I haven't heard of much grief in Sheffield about southerners - though I would personally advise going to Barnsley if you wish to avoid grief - it is almost guaranteed as soon as you open your mouth

A friend of mine started dating a young land from Wiltshire who for his sins studied at Barnsley College. He was up here for about 3 years and the southerner comments did not wain.

My mum is a southerner, I lived down there for a bit but I was brought up, up 'ere. Wasn't even born in this country and could be classed as extremely southern

Moon