Sign in to follow this  

What do you reckon of southerners?

I've never had much bother, and not only do I have 'southerner' stamped on my forehad, but I also speak like a posh git.:)

For the record, the worst bother I had was when I lived in Retford, where people clearly took offence at my accent sometimes. Whether it was because it identified my as a southerner, i don't know.

Coming from latitudes even further north than scotland, the differences between northerners, midlanders and southerners is not as pronounced as it is in Sweden, for example. There is a much greater degree of intermixing of people in the UK, and the whole country is more 'internally cosmopolitan'.

We used to chuck the students out of our pubs just by the power of the cold stare.

Ah I wondered where that came from... After spending a week in Great Yarmouth (Never again, believe me), my family have experienced alot of hostility from Southerners. Bring back Skegness, the people there are so much nicer!

Hi, im from Essex I will be attending Sheffield Hallam in September.. I can't wait to meet the northerners!

Most northerners I have met have been very funny...I hope there aint any hostility...cos i am a southern fairy as u would say.

No worries Nathanukuk.... you'll find it mostly friendly up here!

We didn't chuck them out of the pubs for being northern, Caprice. Always found northern students to be pretty sound. We used to be unfriendly to them because they were posh w**kers. Bloody hooray henrys who acted like they owned the place.

...am a little surprised that we 'oop North have such a bad reputation that someone from darn Sarth would be worrying about what response they would get when they got here.

I am quite sure that you will be welcomed just fine.

(unless you are black or gay or seeking asylum or a criminal or a beggar or a user or live in a poor house or in a poor area, or answer in some way to any other of some of our members' phobias. But then I am sure the same phobias would apply down there, so if you fit in down there, relax, you will fit in up here...bitter? moi?)

I'd mostly heard good things about the place, from a Brightonian mate of mine who lived up there six years. I just wanted it from the horses mouth. And I think possibly the southerners give more stick than the other way around. It ws mostly just the worry of striking out in a new city again without knowing anyone.

We quite like southerns but, maybe with the exception of DaBouncer, none of us could eat a whole one.