Anybody recommend an IT course?

Fellow IT workers and students

My younger brother wants to do a computing course either at college or university. He's recently turned 20, and has a couple of years IT experience behind him.

He's keen to do a course that's recognised by employers and would lead to employment, not just further years of study.

He has good hardware knowledge, some Windows and Linux networking experience, but no programming experience. However, he does have lots of enthusiasm along with near- limitless energy and is willing to try new things.

Anybody recommend anything? Not only will you receive my undying gratitude, but I might even throw in whatever gift or paperweight I find on my desk - if I can find my desk under all this paperwork, that is.

Sensible replies only, please.

Many thanks

Contact Tritec on Thomas Street (near the Mad Greek and the Washington pub/Devonshire Green area). They run loads of IT courses, some are short and some are year long courses. They run CISCO - industry qualification for network engineers and it teaches you how to build computers. Quite a desirable qualification I believe. Their number is 0114 275 0581. They also have a website http://www.tritec.org

It depends how long he wants to study. Im starting a HND in computing studies in September. It's part time, one day a week, which means I can carry on working.

It is 3 years for the HND or 2 years for the HNC. It is recognised as a very good qualification. Also if you pass with a distinction you can go on to join the last year of a degree course.

It cost £400 per year.

Tell him to try Square Mile College in the City centre, just off Matilda St, opposite Osbourne House.

My ex did HND computing at Hallam - he now works as a DBA so itt seems to have been some use!

Thanks everyone.

I'd like to find out more about the IT courses that Sheffield College run. Could any of their former students let me know what they think of the courses?

RPG? Are you out there :)

Fellow IT workers and students

My younger brother wants to do a computing course either at college or university. He's recently turned 20, and has a couple of years IT experience behind him.

He's keen to do a course that's recognised by employers and would lead to employment, not just further years of study.

He has good hardware knowledge, some Windows and Linux networking experience, but no programming experience. However, he does have lots of enthusiasm along with near- limitless energy and is willing to try new things.

Anybody recommend anything? Not only will you receive my undying gratitude, but I might even throw in whatever gift or paperweight I find on my desk - if I can find my desk under all this paperwork, that is.

Sensible replies only, please.

Many thanks

Abdul he could try the BTEC Software Engineering course at Sheffield Hallam University. It is a good course and I did not have half the experience your brother has. However it lasts 2 years and you do get a recognised qualification at the end of it. Well if I can pass it then anyone can.

You best keep the paperweight, looks like you need it. (Paperless Office indeed)

Abdul he could try the BTEC Software Engineering course at Sheffield Hallam University. It is a good course and I did not have half the experience your brother has. However it lasts 2 years and you do get a recognised qualification at the end of it. Well if I can pass it then anyone can.

You best keep the paperweight, looks like you need it. (Paperless Office indeed)

Do you really think Abdul is still looking for advise after ten years.

I think Abduls brother may have done a course by now. It was 10 years ago.

I think Abduls brother may have done a course by now. It was 10 years ago.

Abduls brother has had time to become a lecturer and teach IT, so could have even been Stripey1 tutor. :D