2010 council house refurb

I know your new on here

What a strange remark. :huh:

He/she joined the Forum in July 2005..... as did you. :)

I agree!

I live in a lovely private house near Hathersage and don't wish to buy, or contribute towards a new kitchen for somebody who lives on a council estate.

To me, they're parasites, sucking the money out of hard working people who have their own mortgages to pay for without worrying about some strangers old, scruffy kitchen that they can't be bothered to clean!

Hard, but to the point.

mmmm, sorry but i have to reply to the above person , two years ago me and hubby owned our own house, him working and me self-employed and had two cars, but due to ill health he had time off work and we were living on £60 week stat sick pay nothing else, no help with anything, but still had the mortgage to pay , got behind on the mortgate etc etc , long story cut short , within 5 months , got repossesison order on house which Reed Rains sold for £9,000 less than they valued it, just to sell before it was repossessed so lost the equity, sold one of the cars and now living in a council house on benefits due to both of us having health problems, just wondering but do you class us as parasites?

......no-one knows what is round the corner, one day you too might be a "parasite" living on a council estate through no fault of your own just a change in circumstances.

in a council house on benefits due to both of us having health problems, just wondering but do you class us as parasites?

What kind of health problems?

mmmm, sorry but i have to reply to the above person , two years ago me and hubby owned our own house, him working and me self-employed and had two cars, but due to ill health he had time off work and we were living on £60 week stat sick pay nothing else, no help with anything, but still had the mortgage to pay , got behind on the mortgate etc etc , long story cut short , within 5 months , got repossesison order on house which Reed Rains sold for £9,000 less than they valued it, just to sell before it was repossessed so lost the equity, sold one of the cars and now living in a council house on benefits due to both of us having health problems, just wondering but do you class us as parasites?

......no-one knows what is round the corner, one day you too might be a "parasite" living on a council estate through no fault of your own just a change in circumstances.

No you're not parasites although the moral of that tale is to get insurance against illness.

No you're not parasites although the moral of that tale is to get insurance against illness.

Agreed!

To Josie1996:

If the health problems are serious enough for you to not be able to work, fair enough.

I'm talking about the huge majority of people without the health problems.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

luck has a lot to do with it, i don't know what you do for a living but can you honestly say you got where you are through sheer hard work? most people get promotions because a manger or whoever takes a shine to them and a lot of people toil away for years and not get recognised for it

The people who deliver the groceries to the supermarket are on a lot more money than you realise.

ok bad example, my point is people on the lower end of the payscale provide services that we all need and at the end of the day someone has to fill those positions

I pay for that service.

you pay a private company to empty your bins? or i'm assuming you mean council tax. As i said someone has to physically fill these positions and if no one did you wouldn't get the bins emptied whether you'd paid for it or not. Would you be happy for an increase in council tax to pay public sector workers more money so they can afford to buy their own house?

not everyone can be on high wages so not everyone can afford to buy their own house, i take it you don't mix with "council house types" so have no idea of their situations and are just throwing ridiculous comments from your ivory tower

ok bad example

As they all were.

I can't be bothered to reply to all that garbage you've just spent the last goodness knows how long writing, I've had my say and you've had yours.

As they all were.

I can't be bothered to reply to all that garbage you've just spent the last goodness knows how long writing, I've had my say and you've had yours.

cheers for that, so, no one is on low incomes, everyone can afford to buy their own house happy clappy time for everyone..yay! and anyone who does live in those horrible scruffy council houses are parasites, your the best

you could've just said "i was wrong" or "good point sir well put" either of those short sentences would've done the trick

Is anyone in rotherham council housing going through the 2010 refurbishment?

I know quite a few people who are, there houses has been in a mess for up to 2 months, dust and the usual that goes with this type of undertaking, most in my opinion are doing nothing but complain, must be costing upwards of £10,000 spent on each house. Being a private homeowner who works full time and pay my council tax and also has to provide everything myself in my own home, how can some people have the cheek to moan about what the council are doing for them.

Anyone any comments????

Tbh it's harldy free. If I had bought my own house, the money I put into it would still be my capital, so any improvements I decided to make would mean I had to foot the bill for them. Whereas in council property, I don't see my rent, as it just goes into a big black hole.

The reason they are refurbishing the properties is because by law they have to bring all the properties up to an acceptable level as set by the government.

I have been in my flat 2 months, and I accepted it 3 weeks before I moved into it, as I had to give notice on my private rented. While this was done I decorated the other rooms, and spoke to the council several times. I explianed I knew they were re-fitting my kitchen and said it would be great if they could start asap as they would be undisturbed.

Anyway, they started last Monday. I shall tell you why people moan.....

1. They spread a large sellotape roll over your carpet to "protect" it, but it's no good, as muck gets everywhere else.(not great when you have white sofa- who's gonna pay for that to be cleaned?).

2. They don't do 1 property at a time. Eg they could do 1 kitchen within a week, but instead each team does about 4 properties at any given time, so some days they don't even turn up. This means the work drags on and on rather then being done quickly. They say up to 4 weeks. I know people who have been having them done for months longer than that

3. They don't stick to what they say. Eg I wanted my pantries knocking out same as my neighbours have. I was told this should be fine. But, no the kitchen planner decided to draw up the plan and go ahead without me signing it. So now the plasterers have been in and I have asked why I haven't seen a plan. Problem with this is my dining table won't fit in there with the pantries, so I will have to sell it due to their inconsistency.

4. They make a complete mess. When the liaison officer comes to do induction, he tells you that they will bring their own bin and move their own rubbish. Do they hell! They leave empty water bottles, pop cans etc on your windowsill, use your pot dishcloth to wipe off spilled plaster, and generally leave crap allover when they leave.

5. I explained to the liaiason office that I work full time, so I gave the team a key. He assured me that the team will check every morning whether they need a key for the property or if the tenant will be home! They arrive every morning by 8am. So what I do is get out of bed early when I have been on lates, get a shower at 7am, and get back in bed. But they still ring the buzzer and bang the sh*t outta my door to wake me up. I have growled at them so many times and told them they have a key. To which they look puzzled and ring their gaffer asking for the key.

6. Today I turned on my kitchen tap and the U bend shot off and filled the under sink cupboard with water, as well as my floor! I had to ring and tell them to sort it.

I have only complained to them about waking me up, I am trying to grin and bear the rest. But working full times. trying to keep 2 pets in and work around these people wrecking my home is a joke. However, I know they are doing a job so I will keep schtum until they clear off!

This is why people get so angry at it. Tbh I think the people who are saying it isn't fair that we council tenants get this stuff done don't have a clue. If I could afford my own house, I would probably whinge at paying tax to these people. However, I work full time, earn well. But I still cannot afford a mortgage out of my salary so I have no option but to stick to council housing or private rented, Being single private rented was too much for me. I have paid loads in tax over the years, I curently pay around £300 PCM into the system, not to mention council tax. So I think I am entitled to some back. I do agree that the ones who scrounge from the state shouldn't get the benefits etc, but it's not fair on us lot who work bloody hard. Maybe those that own their own houses and work hard paying taxes should think about what they would do if they were really ill and had to give up work, who would pay their mortgae then? Taxpayers thats who and any JSA contribution based would be paid to them. They wouldn't complain then. Sounds to me like just an excuse to complain

relost, i think we needed someone who is actually experiencing the improvements insights. I can understand your annoyance as because kier aren't working for you they couldn't really care less what you have to say. Do you think you'll be pleased with the results and the upset will have been worth it?

I agree!

I live in a lovely private house near Hathersage and don't wish to buy, or contribute towards a new kitchen for somebody who lives on a council estate.

To me, they're parasites, sucking the money out of hard working people who have their own mortgages to pay for without worrying about some strangers old, scruffy kitchen that they can't be bothered to clean!

Hard, but to the point.

Strangers kitchen that they can't be bothered to clean? I find it offensive in the extreme that you say people who live in council houses are dirty. This isn't about cleaning. I took my flat with granny carpets, and 2 kitchen units ripped of the wall, laying on the floor, with half ripped off paper, and half done windows. I took it as I had to get somewhere to live. If that house belonged to a private landlord, he would have had to make the improvements straightaway. I doubt it would be blamed on cleaning