2010 council house refurb

Unfortunately though you miss spell, misspell, I think :)

I probably did my spelling and grammar is not great...but did it really matter that much that you needed to point it out? :rolleyes:

My wife did a short spell as a Coordinator, her job was to liaise between the tenants and the builders, she couldn’t wait to leave, most tenants moaned about anything and everything, obviously overlooking the fact they had just got a new kitchen, bathroom and heating system.

However, within reason its one of the choices you make between renting and buying. We're renting (privately) and although the house has just been refurbed to our specifications (new kitchen, new laminate flooring throughout, painted, inset fires etc) we've had a few reasons to moan to the landlord about stuff not being done when he said it was, not having a fridge for a few days etc.

Just because it's been done for us doesn't mean we don't have a right to complain when its not going according to plan. I don't see why people would berate us for moaning that stuff isn't getting done just because we haven't paid for it.

With renting you will always get certain things that people who own their own homes don't (the law gives a lot of rights in relation to the landlord being responsible for fixing things) - but on the downside, you don't actually own that home.

My wife did a short spell as a Coordinator, her job was to liaise between the tenants and the builders, she couldn’t wait to leave, most tenants moaned about anything and everything, obviously overlooking the fact they had just got a new kitchen, bathroom and heating system.

what are they to stand cap in hand head down saying thank you marm :roll:

I think the main issue here is that the work is compulsory whether the tenant wants it done or not and one important point your missing is that the council are doing the houses up,increasing the value so I think the rents will go up AND the house remains the property of the council

I think the main issue here is that the work is compulsory whether the tenant wants it done or not and one important point your missing is that the council are doing the houses up,increasing the value so I think the rents will go up AND the house remains the property of the council
The rent should be more if it's a better property. These propertes may belong to the council but who owns the council? The council tax payers and unless the property is sold and turned into cash it's value is irrelevant but even so it still only keeps up with market value of all properties.

I don't understand why people who live in rented property are prepared to live without something because they feel the landlord should foot the bill for every little thing. If buying something for your home makes life better, why not do it?

I don't understand why people who live in rented property are prepared to live without something because they feel the landlord should foot the bill for every little thing. If buying something for your home makes life better, why not do it?

I agree!

I live in a lovely private house near Hathersage and don't wish to buy, or contribute towards a new kitchen for somebody who lives on a council estate.

To me, they're parasites, sucking the money out of hard working people who have their own mortgages to pay for without worrying about some strangers old, scruffy kitchen that they can't be bothered to clean!

Hard, but to the point.

Hi

I live in a Sheffield Homes property. Both myself and my husband work full-time. As somebody has said previously the Decent Homes work is kind of compulsory (although people can refuse). It is a goverement funded thing that means that people whi are unable to buy for one reason or another are able to live in a 'decent home'.

We would love to buy but simply can not afford it. We pay a fair amount in rent and at the moment, prior to the work being done, out kitchen and bathroom are dire.

My mum also lives in a Sheffield Homes property and has done so since 1973. I personally think people like her, who paid full rent till retirement, are more than deserving of this.

I am the first to say that some people who have never worked and never intend to work for no good reason don't deserve things like this but please don't tar us all with the same brush.

Both myself and my husband work full-time.

Why is it you can't afford a new bathroom or kitchen?

I don't really want to go into it as its personal.

I would love to buy our home and we are saving for a deposit but that takes time!

I have edited this post to take out some information as I don't see why i should be questioned on my financial situation.

Why is it you can't afford a new bathroom or kitchen?

my you have a lovley attitude and outlook on life, everyone who lives in a council house is a dosser. Some people just don't earn that much money and without people like these you wouldn't get your groceries delivered to waitrose and you wouldn't get your bins emptied and no taxis home after a night in crystal drinking champers and before you start, i own my own house and have a very good job thanks but not everyone is so lucky

but not everyone is so lucky

Luck has nothing to do with it.

without people like these you wouldn't get your groceries delivered to waitrose

The people who deliver the groceries to the supermarket are on a lot more money than you realise.

you wouldn't get your bins emptied

I pay for that service.