How Long Do You Need Priority Before Being Offered A 3 Bed Property?

How can someone living with their parents be classed as homeless, can I class my two sons as homeless and put them on a priority list for a flat each.

:huh:

If the OP didn't have children, then they wouldn't be given a priority status; however, as they have children and are living in a place that isn't classed as suitable by the powers that be, they gain priority status. In this case, the Council's duty of care is for the kids, not the parents.

If the OP didn't have children, then they wouldn't be given a priority status; however, as they have children and are living in a place that isn't classed as suitable by the powers that be, they gain priority status. In this case, the Council's duty of care is for the kids, not the parents.

The powers that be can make decisions based on what criteria they like but I fail to see how someone living with their parents are homeless.

As per my earlier posts my nephew and is girlfriend lost their private rented house and where not even considered for a council property because they were now living at home, now if she got pregnant…………:roll:

How can someone living with their parents be classed as homeless, can I class my two sons as homeless and put them on a priority list for a flat each.

:huh:

i came on here for advise my dad is in his 60s and has brought his kids up & as much as he loves his grandchildren he wants some time of his own with my mum!! it's not my fault my home was sold. A pub isn't the right place to bring up kids we all need our own space. IF U HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL:rant::rant:

i came on here for advise my dad is in his 60s and has brought his kids up & as much as he loves his grandchildren he wants some time of his own with my mum!! it's not my fault my home was sold. A pub isn't the right place to bring up kids we all need our own space. IF U HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL:rant::rant:

Why is there a need for shouting, I have made comments from personal experience and as I have stated someone living at home is not homeless, overcrowded maybe but homeless no.

My nephew was made homeless when there lease ended put unfortunately no priority list for them even though no doubt his parents would enjoy some time on there own and some space.

Why is there a need for shouting, I have made comments from personal experience and as I have stated someone living at home is not homeless, overcrowded maybe but homeless no.

My nephew was made homeless when there lease ended put unfortunately no priority list for them even though no doubt his parents would enjoy some time on there own and some space.

my parents have sent a letter to council explaining i cannot stay there on a permanent basis so that why i'm on a homeless priority

my parents have sent a letter to council explaining i cannot stay there on a permanent basis so that why i'm on a homeless priority

Don’t get me wrong I am no against your predicament but as you have suggested parents have got to virtually throw their kids out on the streets to get anything done, perhaps my sister-in-law should threaten to throw hers out and see what the council do.

Don’t get me wrong I am no against your predicament but as you have suggested parents have got to virtually throw their kids out on the streets to get anything done, perhaps my sister-in-law should threaten to throw hers out and see what the council do.

my mum & dad wrote a letter bk in jan saying i had 28 days to find somewhere else to live & that got me priority in feb. Its worth a try :(

dont want to upset you but you will probably never ever get a three bedroom house with the priority you have and the age of you children.

you may get a two bedroom in a couple of years if you are lucky.

the only chance you have is to take a masonittee or flat that they will offer sometime in the next three months and you will only get one offer

start to live in the real world stop trying to live in a world that you want to live in.

I WILL LAY YOU 1000/1 I AM CORRECT IN MY ASSUMPTION.

Bidding is a waste of time you will only get offered what they want to give you believe me. your priority is way down the list for preference. not knocking you just telling you the facts as they are

Hi i've been priority for 12weeks now, i'm entitled to a 3bed property as i have 2 children (boy & girl). I've picked my preferred areas to be birley, arbourthorne & gleadless valley, hoping for birley as my eldest child starts primary school in sept & has been accepted into birley primary. Just asked for advice & expierience on this subject?? :confused::confused::):)

There are very few 3 bed properties in Arbourthorne. Most of the council homes in Arbourthorne were built in the early 1930s, and are mainly 2 beds.

my mum & dad wrote a letter bk in jan saying i had 28 days to find somewhere else to live & that got me priority in feb. Its worth a try :(

One thing that interests me - you said your privately rented home was sold. I understand your need to leave your parents home, but what was wrong with taking another property that was privately rented?

I'd also agree with some of what ricky36 says (quoted below)

dont want to upset you but you will probably never ever get a three bedroom house with the priority you have and the age of you children.

you may get a two bedroom in a couple of years if you are lucky.

the only chance you have is to take a masonittee or flat that they will offer sometime in the next three months and you will only get one offer

start to live in the real world stop trying to live in a world that you want to live in.

I WILL LAY YOU 1000/1 I AM CORRECT IN MY ASSUMPTION.

Bidding is a waste of time you will only get offered what they want to give you believe me. your priority is way down the list for preference. not knocking you just telling you the facts as they are

Although by your family size you are 'eligible' for a 3 bedroomed property, 2 bedrooms are sufficient given the age of your children. Bidding is only a waste of time if you're not realistic. If you bid for 2 bedroomed flats and maisonettes anywhere they come up, then you will be in with a chance. If you only bid on 3 bedroomed houses, in specific areas, then it will mean you will probably be offered something considered as suitable, and if you don't take it your priority could be cancelled.

Priority is given when there is an urgent need for housing. Its not supposed to be an opportunity for getting a house you like where you want it. Sorry - but I'm just being realistic.

One thing that interests me - you said your privately rented home was sold. I understand your need to leave your parents home, but what was wrong with taking another property that was privately rented?

I'd also agree with some of what ricky36 says (quoted below)

Although by your family size you are 'eligible' for a 3 bedroomed property, 2 bedrooms are sufficient given the age of your children. Bidding is only a waste of time if you're not realistic. If you bid for 2 bedroomed flats and maisonettes anywhere they come up, then you will be in with a chance. If you only bid on 3 bedroomed houses, in specific areas, then it will mean you will probably be offered something considered as suitable, and if you don't take it your priority could be cancelled.

Priority is given when there is an urgent need for housing. Its not supposed to be an opportunity for getting a house you like where you want it. Sorry - but I'm just being realistic.

i'm getting fed up of this!! i've been told by my homefinder (someone who actually works there) and her manager to only bid on 3 bed properties as i wouldn't be awarded a 2 bed property!! it also states on my priority that its for a 3 bed property :huh:

i'm getting fed up of this!! i've been told by my homefinder (someone who actually works there) and her manager to only bid on 3 bed properties as i wouldn't be awarded a 2 bed property!! it also states on my priority that its for a 3 bed property :huh:

Fine, but the rules about young children sharing must have changed since I last worked in a housing job. I only wanted to point out what the reality is regarding council housing. There basically isn't enough for all the people who get priority, and even less chance if you don't. And even if you do, the choice will be extremely limited as many of the best properties have been sold.

Why did you not want to have more choice of area and property type and move into another private rented property? It seems a reasonable option when thats what you were in previously.

I've asked this question of other people who presented as homeless after losing their private rented home, and basically was told its because they know that by getting priority its the best chance of getting a council house. The disappointment usually sets in when they realise that its unlikely to a) be a house, b) situated anywhere they really want to live, and c) the Right to Buy looks much less appealing than when they thought it would be a nice house in a nice area.

You may think that's quite cynical, but I've dealt with hundreds of applications in different housing organisations.