Auctions at Ingoldmells Market

We once gained from one of these auctions. We were passing and watched it for a bit but decided not to get involved. A bit later on some grumbling customers of it came past us and threw the bag onto a waste pile. Being nosey I had a look see....mainly real tat except there was a mp3 player in the bottom sealed up. Anyhow to cut to a short story it was a 1GB one and it worked perfectly when tested and still does to this day. So it was a bit of bargain....

Why cant people see its a scam? because all scams work on peoples greed, "you dont get owt for nowt" is never a bad phrase to live by, if the stuff they were selling was really that genuine surely ebay would be used.

Reason they get away with it Eastgate market is a private site which the public are invited onto, however the police need a warrant to enter the boundarys. Or this was the case a few years ago when i was talking to one of the people sellin knock off tapes.

Roger Cook did an investigation into the auction people and got threatened, cant remember how it ended though

By the way be careful of people offering to do a "top notch job of tarmacking your drive sur" they wont :loopy:

summer 2006. at skegg with my family, my mum and dad were roped into the auction, started off just being curious...

they ask for a fiver at first, to 'secure' one of these items for you.

then a tenner...

then 50...

we were 'bidding' on an expensive portable dvd player. ended up with a crappy kids game. my dad was having none of it... collared the bloke who was doing the auction, took him round the back of the van and we ended up with a nice set of cordless phones :)

not what we bidded on but money not wasted!

I've posted about these on here before. A young son of a "not very well off" family I know told me how they were conned, expecting a bargain in a black sack for £10 that they were strictly not allowed to open until they got off the market site. It contained empty cardboard boxes and a glass bowl in pieces!

They are a disgrace and the council, or whoever lets them continue trading, are an absolute disgrace. They bring the whole market into disrepute.

I am sorry but if anyone ripped me off like that there would be a riot: i would not go until i got my money having said that i would not touch any Electrical gear from them kind of places with a bardgepole.

They bring the whole market into disrepute.

:hihi::hihi:

I take it that was intended as a joke.

Swan Vesta -If folk are dumb enough to think they're going to come out on top then they deserve to get taken to the cleaners.

What do they say about fools and their money?

Guest Mod_Man

I'm a fan of the TV programme the real hustle, it once highlighted this scam and I have also watched these guys in Ingoldmells a few times. I fell for it when I was 18. They get away with it for 2 reasons.

1, The script is very carefully worded. They never actually say they will sell you what you think you are buying. They will always sell you a bag or something. They never say what is in the bag.

2. People let them get away with it. While people allow themselves to fall for the tricks they use they will keep using them. You don't really think you're going to get a PSP for £40 do you?

As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Here's how it works.

Wow, i'm really amazed this happens. People who go to Ingoldmells on holiday are some of the most well-heeled, respected and intelligent people in the country - these villains must be really clever to sell dodgy stuff to people like this........

the joke is , the market is over run with snide tracksuits ,jeans , trainers , shirts ,etc ,etc ,etc , and the trading standards are supposed to have their own office there . all they do is swoop on a young kid who might be doing a few copy dvd's , while the stalls are stuffed with snide henry loyd , stone island ,nike etc . they swoop about twice a year just to make it look like they are doing their job , but the truth is they dare not upset the biggest employer in skegness .as for the mock auctions people who stand for them deserve all they get because as already stated they let their own greed cloud common sense .

Wow, i'm really amazed this happens. People who go to Ingoldmells on holiday are some of the most well-heeled, respected and intelligent people in the country - these villains must be really clever to sell dodgy stuff to people like this........

pigeon holing people is not a good quality .

Mock auctions are illegal.There was a law brought out a couple of decades ago banning them.You inform the police and they have to close them down.

They were rife in Blackpool in the seventies and I have witnessed many people had their holidays ruined by their own stupidity and greed.

There was a massive thread about the auction shop which sprung up on Pinstone Street a year or two ago. Sounds like the same sort of thing.

I remember going in out of curiousity and when it reached the stage where you were expected to part with your fiver and I didn't, the heavies asked me to leave with a firm hand on my shoulder. There were loads of complaints at the time to all authorities.

Yes, I was thinking that if one day I win the lottery I might go to Ingoldmells but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's all that it's cracked up to be with these unscrupulous traders about, I may have to continue holidaying abroad.