Anti Racism Wrist Bands

Originally posted by ladyovmanor

anyone got a bulling one in youth size ???

I have - its on Ebay at the moment - all yours for £15

Originally posted by kilauea

Actualy I'm beginning to think sheffield isn't one of the most friendly places given the fact that 1 in 3 threads has a rascist or sexist element present. In fact I suspect it's people like yourself that keep Sheffield back from being a "proper city", and for that I'm glad my days here are numbered.

Try poking your nose out of your own community and see that in succesfull cities, people are more interested in bettering themselves than running others down.

(I do note the majority disagree with rascist / sexist remarks made).

Kilauea, I'm not sure that this board is wholly representative of Sheffield folk, who I find in reality to live up to their reputation for friendliness and hospitality. You will notice that a lot of the (racially, at least) intolerent views come from a hard-core of posters: Mr James, Jonsastar, Don_Killick, and to a lesser extent Delboy3. There are a few others as well. On a site with tens of thousands of registered users, these are not representative numbers.

I am worried however, this site has a high google rating and companies who may be seeking to relocate to Sheff may find these postings on the net and may subsequently choose to move elsewhere. Not everywhere in the UK (and especially not London and the south) will stomach the intolerance (frequently touted as virtue) that is found amongst these postings.

Finally I'm always suprised that the mods ban words like "****" (**** "****" (****) "****" (****) for fear of causing offence but don't ban racially offensive ("****" "******" "coon" "yid"), or gender offensive material. Either they should allow all offensive words or none. I'm not overly sensitive to either set of words, but some are banned and others are not... Why I wonder?

I suspect companies would never look at an online forum to make judgements about where they place a company. Most online forums have extremes. At least no one has asked a/s/l on hear yet:suspect:

As for bands. The only people I know who wear them are posers and trendies. None of them give anything to charities or care about the issues. They are a fashion thing and imo a joke. I find people who wear them are a joke too. I'd personally rather donate or do something in order to combat a problem than wear a glorified swimming band.

As for facist words on here. I suppose if you are banning swear words then there is an argument to ban racist words. Then again you'd have an argument against banning blaspemy and where does it all end?

As for racism on here. You get some planctum on here but you get a lot more in real life.

Originally posted by robbie

I suspect companies would never look at an online forum to make judgements about where they place a company. Most online forums have extremes. At least no one has asked a/s/l on hear yet:suspect:

As for bands. The only people I know who wear them are posers and trendies. None of them give anything to charities or care about the issues. They are a fashion thing and imo a joke. I find people who wear them are a joke too. I'd personally rather donate or do something in order to combat a problem than wear a glorified swimming band.

As for facist words on here. I suppose if you are banning swear words then there is an argument to ban racist words. Then again you'd have an argument against banning blaspemy and where does it all end?

As for racism on here. You get some planctum on here but you get a lot more in real life.

Disagree. Smaller companies do a lot of research on the net and as I say a lot of searches on subjects to do with Sheffield bring up posts from this site. You'd be surprised how many individuals and companies do initial research on the internet. Maybe you're not so net-savvy, but a lot of people use it... I guess through laziness!

Yeah I can believe the wristbands are a trendy accessory, but it's a cause worth supporting surely? It's like even if it was considered trendy to give money to the Tsunami victims, you'd still wanna do it anyway, just coz it's right. Right?

I agree with you about banning some words and not others. If only some offensive words are banned then it could lead to accusations of favouritism and not others. If "poofta" and "batty-boy" are banned and not "spastic" or "flid" isn't there some kind of favouritism going on towards sexuality issues against disability issue? Either ban all or none is my view.

And racially offensive words are especially pertinent as they seem to come up with a worrying regularity on this site.

Does anyone know where I can get “political correctness has gone bonkers” bands from?

Originally posted by coopster1974

I have - its on Ebay at the moment - all yours for £15

Scrub that - its now up to £16.00 - woohoo!!!

should have got more then....even if you got 1000 sold them for £4.99 you would probably sell them all in a day!

i've got 2 "kick wristbands out of football" bands if anyone is interested - all procceeds go to nike.

Originally posted by robbie

Don't think you can generalise too much. I wear a Livestrong band, and without going into the circumstances it's not for poser value.

Originally posted by stevie1957

Does anyone know where I can get “political correctness has gone bonkers” bands from?

Not sure how political correctness fits into this - have you been talking to t020?