Where do you get the best substantial burger in Sheffield?

Where do you get the best Burger and chips from in Sheffield?? I have three kids who like the occasional treat of a good burger.

I dont want to have to pay silly money pub prices,as two of my kids like them plain but for tomato sauce,but the other three of us would like exciting garnishes, bacon, cheese, chilli, salad, gerkins for example.

We live out in Hope Valley and last Saturday we decided to pop into Sheffield.Kids weren't really up for it,so we persuaded them by saying

"we'll go out for a burger at Grindleford cafe on the way"

which they liked the sound of.So off we trundled.

Got there queued for ages whilst trying to sort out orders of food and drinks,and changes of minds for the kids.Got to the front reeled off the well memorised list,and they said

"sorry no Burgers left!!"

I know this is not a big deal on a world wide scale-but argghh,it's so rare we have lunch out,thought a burger and chips would be easy!How could they run out of burgers on a saturday lunch time bank holiday weekend(the old owner may have had amusing quirky not particularly friendly signs up,but he always had burgers to sell! mmmm!)

So flustered and not wanting to hold up the queue going through the rigmoral of getting kids to chose an alternative we decided to get one somewhere else.

So headed to the cafe in Dore-it was shut.

At this point we should of given up and just picked up anything somewhere,but no,we were now on a burger mission!

(there used to be a yummy place when I was a teeneger near the Robin Hood on Abbeydale road south,but alas no longer mmmmmm they did amazing ones with bacon and cheesey sauce, drove past there and reminissed!)

Tried Sainsburys cafe,no burgers.

I can hear you all shouting"THERES A MCDONALDS DRIVE IN JUST NEXT TO SAINSBURYS !!"

and yes there is,but although the rest of us were willing to drop our principles and end the burger mission there ,and stuff our faces on piddly burgers,and super salty fries(yum!) from the evil Mc Donalds, one Son said "no I won't eat Mc Donalds,Mc Donalds are really bad bla bla bla..."( all the stuff I've ever said to them on suggesting going to Mc Donalds!!)

So I had to respect and encourage him sticking to his principles and continue the mission.

So we drove along (Sc)abbydale Road,saw a few un appetizing looking places open ,and if we had been able to pull up and park we may of given one a go,but instead we kept driving and headed into town.

Tried Waitrose cafe,no joy.

Parked in NCP above Atkinsons,tried their cafe,no burgers.

Went onto the Moor,nearly got one from the greasy looking stall in the middle of Moor,but after hunting so long that just didn't seem good enough!Couldn't see any alternaive places,so headed to Chubbys,shut.

I thought by the time we got to town we'd be spoilt for choice.

Ended up going to The Weatherspoons(I think thats what it was) pub just above Coles Clearance,where they had a burger meal deal with chips and choice from 14 drinks for £4.59 or something.

So finally fed 5 of us for under £23.( thats including two cokes,one pint Marsdens,one J20 and a bottle of beer.)

The burger hunt was finaly over,and the conclusion was pretty good,but I think by that time they were starving!!Overall though,good price quick service pleasant enough food,with little waste.

What a long ridiculous night mare!! - in hindsight we should of just had a bacon butty at Grindleford which would probably been far superior to the burgers but...

After eating popped into Coles clearance,arrrgghhh again!! Thats another story,but to cut it short make sure you check you get charged correct amount ,I had to go through the paying and un paying palava three times before they got it right,and had I of got home and realised it would of been harder to sort it.Took them so long to sort it had to pay another hour at carpark!!

So any suggestions where we could try next time for the best reasonably priced burger ,chips,and drink ?

Make your own burgers with minced beef, onion and spices. Then make a range of dips/sauces/pickles, do a big salad and make some proper wedge sized chips. It will cost you less and you'll know what you are eating.

What a long ridiculous night mare!!

Hilarious :D

Make your own burgers with minced beef, onion and spices. Then make a range of dips/sauces/pickles, do a big salad and make some proper wedge sized chips. It will cost you less and you'll know what you are eating.

Yeah I do that at home sometimes,but just wanted to pop out and scoff one somewhere! Quickly easily and next time hopefully hassle free!

Interesting link Rook ,I shall have to check that out,as my little Sister is getting married in December and wants a barn dance ceilidh type band.I'm chief bridesmaid and trying to help out(shes on a very tight budget!).

Interesting link Rook ,I shall have to check that out,as my little Sister is getting married in December and wants a barn dance ceilidh type band.I'm chief bridesmaid and trying to help out(shes on a very tight budget!).

Ooh, really? Definitely give them a call and mention that you found them through my link. My mum would be more than happy to have a chat with you about it. She's a lovely lady!

sounds like you had a nightmare, but that was a superbly written post, a lovely slice of modern life, nice one!

My fave is Burger King, their Angus Burgers are absolutely delicious, plus, BK will create the burger however you want it, so, you can "have it your way" as they say.

They have a new 'gourmet' burger in 'Spoons, with bacon and blue cheese. Don't know if its any good but looks OK.

The Museum on Orchard Square do good burgers, but they aren't that cheap (about 7 quid I think).

"They have a new 'gourmet' burger in 'Spoons, with bacon and blue cheese. Don't know if its any good but looks OK."

If its in 'spoons' then I highly doubt if there's anything gourmet or ok about it

yankees on ecclesall road, its sposed to be an amercian diner type place

they do nice burgers and the cheese they put on is amazing, its not like ordinary cheese!! they have lots of options too, like bacon, chilli, pineapple, ham, ett etc

its nice and informal and i imagine kids would like it in there too

The question would be a lot easier to answer if you said whether or not you were prepared to eat mechanically recovered meat.:gag::gag::gag:

Just remember a cow is 100% beef just like those 100% beef beefburgers.