People putting the Manor down?

good on yer Manorblade,I've lived on the Manor for 32 years,and it's not half as bad as people think.I started off on lower Manor.and then scaled the dizzy heights to Prince of Wales Rd.,at Manor top.The only bad thig that's happened to me is ,in January,someone's little darling cut down the telegraph pole that housed my phone line,and I was 8 days without outside communication.The reason I don't get any bother is that I'm polite to people,and don't slag anyone off.That's asking for trouble.

Cheers Spaulding, let them think they are better and they live the better life.

I am happy on the Manor and love Sheffield and i dont care what u nerdy lying numpty's think anymore.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeekkksss

people slag off areas that 9/10 they dont even know. i live on the cross, gets slagged off every day.... i work in many areas... non which are better!

cheers Manorblade.At least on the Manor,people do look after each other.

Lidl is on Woodthorpe not the Manor.

Lidle is on Castlebeck road which is lower manor im afraid! woodthorpe begins at the springwood pub.

A friend of mine is a driver for home delivery (I think its homebase .... i cant honestly remember), he tried to deliver some furniture on to vikinglea and was robbed by youths ........ in broad daylight, he said people saw what was happening but turned a blind eye. the company now refuse to deliver there and the recipitants of the undelivered furniture had to make alternative arrangements.

BTW, isnt vikinglea 'the manor?' ......... isnt Lidle on that corner?

Manorboy, your posts are getting very aggressive, you started the thread about the manor, you couldnt possibly expect to get all the posters to agree with you?

Yes vikinglea is on the manor and so is lidle. I dont think some people realise how huge the manor is, it covers manor park, fairleigh, upper manor, lower manor ...

To the girl with the penlope picture i find you rude, arrogant, and full of stories and you should think before u slag the Manor and funnily enough can u tell me anywhere in sheffield that does not have a bad road?

mio? :o

its no a penlope picture ... its a pink lady! :cool:

I know lots of places that dont have police presence, am i rude and arrogent because i have no asperations of setting up home on the manor? ... why should i think before saying things about the manor? .... that sounded like a vailed threat.

we are discussing the manor, this is not a personal reflection of you, i think your taking things far too personally.

take a deep breath and ............. relax

people slag off areas that 9/10 they dont even know. i live on the cross, gets slagged off every day.... i work in many areas... non which are better!
I know its off topic but I live on the cross and I think its fine, all my neighbours are cool, no apparent crime and the kids are all respectful and helpful. Its not perfect but i've lived in worst places.

Heres the problem with the manor.

It is dirty, run down, under invested in and it does have a lot of less desirable people than we'd like.

It has a foul reputation which it must have earned and is proving immesley difficult to shake off.

The problem is its a cycle, a cycle of low income, poor education and being constantly told you're the worst, you're the lowest. I'm not being racist (please god see the metaphor and don't take it literally)but the people who live on the manor are basically treated as the ******* of sheffield. Whatever they do or say people won't give them a chance because they're from the manor so they must be thick, dishonest, dirty, unemployable, untrustworthy, criminally minded, idle, good for nothing scum.

Its unfair to them, I know plenty of people from the manor and they all are loyal, friendly, community minded people just trying to do their best and get through the day.

The manor has problems, as do lots of areas of sheffield but your prejudices don't help the people who aren't thick, dishonest, dirty, unemployable, untrustworthy, criminally minded, idle, good for nothing scum. given the opportunity the manor will drag itself up by the bootstraps. It will take time. But it will happen. Try to reign in your prejudices. Take a look at the person, not where they are from.

When the BBC made "Traffic Cops" there's a reason most of the shows were focussed on The Manor. Can you imagine an episode made in Dore?

They are hardly likely to film themselves taking bribes :hihi:

Do you mean the ones stood outside drinking the lager? I see them hanging up there on a daily basis.

yea its there poor kids i feel sorry for there all day drinking with kids in tow begging for there tea its wrong

I lived on the Manor for a couple of years and I have worked on the manor for the past 6 years and this is my opinion on the area:

Where I lived (lower manor) most of the housing is owned by housing associations - danewood, vikinglea, angleton, castlebeck are all mainly housing assocoiation houses. These areas are the worst affected and I think it is because you cannot buy these houses and the people do not look after them because they dont really belong to them? The areas of manor such as manor park seem much nicer because a lot of people will have bought the council houses and therefore look after their area.

Secondly when you talk about unemployment levels manor does still have a high rate of unemployment which I think is due to the numbers of young families living in the area where mums dont work because it simply would not be worth it financially when they have paid for childcare. They are better off on the social who pay their rent and so on.

Childcare is a massive barrier and there is now only one childcare provider on the whole of the manor and manor park estates because the council closed the only council run nursery and they will not fund childcare in the area other than nursery grant for 3 and 4 year olds. The council talk about regeneration and getting people back into work yet there is no money to support the main thing stopping these families from working!

Your right it isnt the worst estate but it is still a very deprived area and within the top 1% of most deprived areas nationally and it wont get better until the council start listening to people and actually putting their money into changing things "long term"

this is not a comment in either way towards the people on the manor! it's about the above qoute on childcare and unemployment in general, there might only be 1 nursey but what about childminders i'm sure there is childminders somewhere in the massive area that is manor and tax credits pay up to 3 quarters of this so that could help alot of people to go to work also it is possible to get kids in to nurseies near to your place of work or a childminder near your place of work i'm not sure lack of childcare is a good reason not to work there is always an option i know how hard it is but if you look hard enough and want it bad enough you can find ways round it :)