So if the team you support is away from home, you don't listen to the coverage because you don't like Paul or Seth?...... Well you've got to admire a man of principles.

I don't want to say this, as Ive listened to Radio Sheffield for many years, but in my view there is just too much talking ,and not enough music.

I once heard Toby Foster say, that it was either the station or BBC's rule that there was no music between 7.00 a.m -9.00a.m, but now it carries on with a phone -in till 10 a.m. and continues with very little music on Rony's show till 1.30p.m

I liked Rony's show , but now it s getting more like radio 4 with discussions with so called panellists, who somehow seem to be the same select few, that are re-cycled frequently,and keep re-appearing on the station.

Its getting so boring to hear the same chatter between 2 or 3 guests talking about nothing, or someone who has had some bad health probs on there, that Ive turned over to Radio 2.

Please someone at Radio Sheffield take note, and get the format back to like it used to be with less over the garden wall chat.

Edited by happyhippy
fixed tags

I agree, Radio Sheffield's in need of a good clear out and I'd start with Roney Robinson.

If ever a bloke wanted 'pensioning off' it's him, he's well past his sell by date. What a lush, well he keeps saying he's luscious anyway.

I listened to Radio Sheffield for many years but got a bit bored of it last year and started flicking through the channels a bit more and discovered there is a whole new world of radio out there!

The final straw was when Chris Evans started on Radio 2's breakfast show. That was when I stopped listening to radio sheffield altogether. Mainly because I then discovered Jeremy Vine on radio 2 too. So that was it for radio sheffield - Mr Foster and Mr Robinson are not a patch on their corresponding national presenters.

Not sure what wold make me go back. I do agree with previous posts that Mr Robinson does seem to espouse his own views that can be boring. And toby Foster is a bit like that too.

But good luck to them. We need a local radio station so I hope it survives the upcoming BBC cuts.

But they need to get a bit more relevant to modern Sheffield. It is not a red flag waving commie city anymore.

I sometimes listen to radio sheff,but its a painfull listen.All they have to do is speak,but far too often for a so called BBC station,they let us sheffielders badly down. Dont believe me?.Well listen for a day to say bbc york or lincoln or any bbc station,log there errors then if you can have a day listening to our citys station.Radio sheff,buck your ideas up please.I want to be proud of my city,but your letting us down.

only thing worth listening too is the sport...used to love gareth in the mornings and howie at tea time..dam shame that one has been sacked and the other put in the stupid o'clock slot...rony could send a glass eye too sleep and toby is just annoying....radio 2 for me all day then football heavan at 6pm ;)

ignore all that other guff, Raw Talent on Thursday nights is without doubt the best programme on air!!!

Give it a listen with an open mind and you will realise that there are some pioneering, talented artists out there. It's a great show to combat the disillusion of lady gaga, justin bieber and the like

Radio Sheffield, like The Star, is local media. Trouble is, there is simply not enough happening locally to fill the time so they get filled with pap.

It happens at a more national level with Look North and Calendar. Any story in the national news with a possible link - however tenuous - is repeated on these 'local' shows.

"Raoul Moat was known to have a great-aunt who once visited the area" etc.

Radio Sheffield will, unfortunately, continue 'owing to the unique way it is funded'. Yeah, a bottomless pit of taxpayers money being squandered on this rubbish. Hopefully The Star cannot continue for much longer. There can only be a limited number of old folks homes where the inmates ask ''as t'Staar coom yet?'

A couple of months ago, I was decorating a place where I could only get Radio Hallam. Now that is unbelievably crap. It was like being transported back 20 years with the same half dozen songs being repeated all day (and they actually have the nerve to keep calling it 'the no repeat station'), Smashy and Nicey presenters a la Halifax ad :gag: and general bull.

Close down all local media, it's had its day.

Radio Sheffield, like The Star, is local media. Trouble is, there is simply not enough happening locally to fill the time so they get filled with pap.

Close down all local media, it's had its day.

A bit of an extreme view, but I agree with most of that.

Except I still think local media can be good, interesting and important. There are lots of creative people in the R Sheff area, I want to hear about what they're up to. Shef Live is quite intereresting sometimes when I tune in in the car and shows what can be done. Though I've no idea what programme is on when, I don't mind giving it a listen any time. I can't say the same for R Sheff - it's all "ee by eck" and here's Billy Joel with Uptown Girl. I can't be doing with it.

i hate it when i want to listen to Swfc and they put united on both frequency's and United are playing at home :rant:

i hate it when i want to listen to Swfc and they put united on both frequency's and United are playing at home :rant:

Just to let you know , Ive sent an e-mail to Radio Sheffield saying what I have said on this thread, and I suggest and hope others that feel the same also contact them.

In support of Rony Robinson, who has been with the station since the mid- eighties, at least - I really don't find him a turn-off at all! I remember his days at the station working alongside the legendary Tony Capstick and there's nowt wrong with him, in my opinion. I miss his "Where's Rony," though, which was a chance to guess where he was in South Yorkshire, from clues given. He might not be everyones cup of tea, but I like him for his loyalty to the station over the years. Radio Sheffield would be a sadder place without him. :)

Edited by Joe9T

In support of Rony Robinson, who has been with the station since the mid- eighties, at least - I really don't find him a turn-off at all! I remember his days at the station working alongside the legendary Tony Capstick and there's nowt wrong with him, in my opinion. I miss his "Where's Rony," though, which was a chance to guess where he was in South Yorkshire, from clues given. He might not be everyones cup of tea, but I like him for his loyalty to the station over the years. Radio Sheffield would be a sadder place without him. :)

The latest update on this ,is that I have received a reply from Mike Woodcock at Radio Sheffield, saying that they welcome comments,good or bad the station, and that he will pass on my message to the production team.

I have thanked him for the reply, and also said that I like Rony ,and that my views are hopefully to help the station, and that in my mind, it needs less of the panellists, and bring in more music , more speciallist sectons, and the roving reporter in the radio car.

I've asked if the production team will also get back to me.

I do hope others who want changes to be made contact the station too.

The e-mail address is on the Radio Sheffield web-site.

Hey! I'm going on Radio Sheffield next Friday (3rd September) to discuss my part in being in a group who recorded a song and shot a video at Meadowhall back in 1989!

I'd better take back what I've just said about Radio Sheffield and Rony Robinson, then....,