Thinking of moving to Oughtibridge?? question

I moved away from Oughtibridge about 6 months ago. I loved living there (early 20's professional couple). I used to leave for work at 8.10 and arrive at 8.45ish (my office was located just off Park Square roundabout), however I believe that this time has been cut by 5mins or so with the opening of the new bit of ring road.

It is pretty but accessible in snow, and the park/cricket pitch etc are lovely in summer. I'd say go for it!

I live there, there's nowt wrong with Crookes

Yes but that is not the point is it?It was an opinion of oughtibridge being a nicer place to live which i well and truly agree with after living there for a few years.I have lived in both crookes and oughtibridge and found oughtibridge a lot more comfortable although a lot more hassle in regards to shops and distance to city centre.I do however like crookes too.:)

Yes but that is not the point is it?It was an opinion of oughtibridge being a nicer place to live which i well and truly agree with after living there for a few years.I have lived in both crookes and oughtibridge and found oughtibridge a lot more comfortable although a lot more hassle in regards to shops and distance to city centre.I do however like crookes too.:)

Crookes is ok but has to be developed more.See my thread re tonights meeting re the Crookes Forum

A nicer place to live is Crookes I think

You are vastly mistaken. Crookes is ok if you are a student. But is not on the edge of lots of countryside like Oughtibridge is.

The only thing I would reccommend with Oughtibridge is don't be tempted by those houses in the valley next to the river. The field they are built on flooded every year, and no matter what the developers say don't touch them with a bargepole. Even the houses a bit further up on the main road used to get completlely flooded cellars from time to time and they are much less vulnerable than these new houses.

I moved to Oughtibridge from Walkley and have found nothing but tranquility here. The walks are fantastic, people friendly and views are great. Its a very underrated area and should be as expensive as some of the posher suburbs in Sheffield.

Thought about moving to Crookes but have found its overpriced and full of local chavs :gag::D.

Driving to city centre should take you about 15 mins- worroall road, hallimoor road, malin bridge, watersmeet road, walkey bank road, palm st, south road, winter st etc etc

The only thing I would reccommend with Oughtibridge is don't be tempted by those houses in the valley next to the river. The field they are built on flooded every year, and no matter what the developers say don't touch them with a bargepole. Even the houses a bit further up on the main road used to get completlely flooded cellars from time to time and they are much less vulnerable than these new houses.

Agreed re. the houses! We lived down by the river, but on the opposite bank to the houses and in a first floor flat so didn't get wet! The lady who moved in below us was a "refugee" from across the river as her house was ruined.

Agreed re. the houses! We lived down by the river, but on the opposite bank to the houses and in a first floor flat so didn't get wet! The lady who moved in below us was a "refugee" from across the river as her house was ruined.

Basically. I was an observer to the machinations of the developers when they tricked the local council into letting them build there. They were promising a community centre and several other things for the village and even provided architects plans, but when they got the permission to start building houses, all that went out of the window and they greedily threw up as many houses as they could fit in and ran away after doing a cheap inadequate flood defence.

We stood there looking at it amazed that anyone would be stupid enough to buy one.

liked oughtibridge, however found deepcar / stocksbridge housing prices cheaper, and the commute easier as you are straight onto the A616 and then the M1

I have lived in Oughtibridge for 3 years now. Positives

* Near the countryside - its so nice to walk in the evening after work

* Near the city (20 mins steady drive)

* Good bus links

* Good selection of public houses (however none of which do decent food)

* Good Italian restaurant (However, there is only one restaurant and it closes for part of the year)

Negatives

* Poor shopping facilities

* Very frustrating commute due to road works (I work in the center and its a pain going up and down the hills and small roads to get into the city now the diversion is in place - and no sign of much progress to road repair)

* Flood problems in bottom of Valley

* Smelly chimney from paper mill but this is much better than it used to be

Possible threats

* It is getting developed gradually so I hope its charm stays

* The railway through to Stocksbridge & City is currently only used very infreqently for freight but this may change due to UK's transport plan

* Possible future closure of paper mill (a main employer) will possibly mean more housing development in the valley

The Papermill closed in January, only the conversion is open now.

Oughtibridge...well only a true 'villager' can answer the question.. ;)

Once you get to know all the shorts cut to town then the time to get there changes! from 15 mins to 25 mins depending on route!

yes the Middlewood road is a pain but will be done by the time you move!

The train line has been gonna open for the last ten years!!! and still nothing as its going to cost absolute millions as its actually a cycle path once through Stockbridge (trans pennine trail) :roll:

surrounded by woods that is used for national downhilling comps.

shop even open xmas day! Tesco, morrisons,Asda are 5mins by car in any direction.

Bradfield with its dams and Ewden are 2 mins away.

The fact is you either want to be in the country side or somewhere busier.

oh someone mentioned St.Christophers garage, sorry but is closing with proposals for some houses on the land. (village info!)

Tesco, morrisons,Asda are 5mins by car in any direction.

Crikey, what are you driving!:huh:

Nearest Tesco I would have thought would be Infirmary Road, 20 minutes away.

Morrisons at Hillsborough 15 minutes at least

Asda at Chapeltown, 15 minutes at a push.

Jim