Hands Up If You Attended Frecheville School Mid 50s

No,you are not mistaken,Studioman. I remember Mr Bishop (Percy ) reading " The Count of Monte Cristo " with us. He's also the guy who,when the Soviets invaded Hungary,ran an appeal to collect clothing for Hungarian refugees. Nice guy which was unusual in that school at that time.

By the way,David, not Miss Bridget,but Miss Bridger,another teacher with a pleasant and likeable side.

Mr Bishop, who you kids apparently, then, called 'Percy'!!!! was my dad, Paul Bishop. I was amused by his nickname which I hadn't heard of before! Anyway, thank you for sharing your fond memory of him! Any idea what years he was at Frecheville?

Well Studiomann, I'm sure Percy would have been as good a dad as he was a teacher. We,of course ,didn't know his real name,hence the Percy.

He once said of me that I should curb my flippant attitude and concentrate on scholastic achievement - I have the very term report to hand - so I did and I too became an English teacher.

The year he taught me was when I was in 3A,which would have been '58. The Hungarian crisis was '56,so '56,'57,'58 and maybe '59, were the years I think he was at Frecheville. I think he joined the staff when I first went in 1956 but I think he had left when I did in 1960.

Did you attend Frecheville Secondary Modern School in the mid 1950s, if so, what are your memories?

Mr Bell, boys PE teacher, always let us play pirates in the gym/hall.

Science was great with Mr Slater,I even managed to blow the lid off a treacle tin filled with gas and then putting a match under a hole in the tins base. IT WORKED. Poor old dizzy Dyson, the teacher who taught woodwork

but I couldn't work wood! Mr Lancaster and Sharp for maths. Now Bastick the ear tugger was a bit of a mystery he obviously knew his music but I

heard he was an alcoholic. Pulled in the punters at the Hollin Bush pub

playing at night. And then Miss green, ah! I escaped never having crossed her as many did. She was extraordinarily friendly when I returned on a visit

after leaving. Perhaps it was the RAF uniform. All in all I enjoyed my time

at Frecheville. Having travelled and lived in Hong Kong for a while I was sad

to see the old place had been knocked down on a later visit.[1999]

Yes I was at frecheville 1952/55 

remember most teachers 

miss green , English  mr. Dyson woodwork mr. Bastick music (he was a terror) mr. Gibson, pe mr. Slater science me& mrs bennet head & art can’t quite remember maths teacher he used a walking stick really liked him

some class mates Cecil Beaumont, John Pitt, Richard ware, Alan brothwell, Mark pearson (went to play football for Manchester United) John greaves (sang in a band Johnny tempest & the Cadillacs)

had a great time there 

I don’t know if many of us are left I’m now 80 

Hi Basil,Here's one left !  Mr Sharpe was the maths teacher with the stick. His legs caused him problems. His morning coffee was brought to him by various girls,thereby saving him a slow trip to the staff room. A nice guy.

On 05/02/2011 at 12:53, Dick Breeze said:

Sorry don't remember Ken but Dick Crooks (Crookes) went to Chesterfield tech with me after 1960. He was in a production of Merchant of Venice there, I think he played Salerno I played Shylock. We had a mutual mate called Jack Mason who lived on Lister Ave. He died in Germany in a car crash in 1966. RIP.

Hi Dick,

Since it's 9 years since you were on this topic I just wondered whether you were still registered and around?

I am trying to research when our mutual friend Jack Mason was killed in Germany and can find no record on the net.

I know that I visited him in Darmstadt in mid '65. Can you remember when you saw him and do you have any idea when the fatal car crash occurred or where I might find out?

Cheers,

echo

I went to frecheville school from September 55 till December 58 I had a good time their did not learn to much but met some good lads and girls their  I was a teddy boy and don,t think the teachers thought much of that , we had a school garden and I loved digging it over I had tattoos mr Lancaster told me to wash them of   Bought some red jeans told not to wear them. For school by mr Bennet   Mates at school. Rex Lloyd. Roy hempsall  David platts  Paul reeves Healy ward Paul smith  Stefan Croft and lots more girl mates Ann Johnson  jean Taylor Susan Clayton Margret Mariss Jean Howard Glenda Shelton   Girl friend Linda Clarke  teachers mr dyson mr slater mr Pryor mr Lancaster mr malindore  mr bastick mr west mr stenton miss green mrs Hawkins mrs bennet  miss willorby head master mr bennet caretaker mr reeves think they all caned me but most of the time I deserved it only caretaker did not cane me ,

On 17/12/2008 at 20:31, ivandarrell said:

are you jaquelines son then bye

No moetchampers is Jacqueline's daughter

hi only just fond this thread its a few years old but anitajm i was one of your brother michaels best friends we were at thornbridge grammer together it was in our last years there when we used to wag school we always went to your house to spend the day as your mum was at work, iremember youas his sister. roy was a bit of a tearaway and john was in the air force or army if i remember right but i dont remember your older sister, the knight brothers lived across the road before emigrating to australia  are you in contact with michael we both went our own ways when we left school

Hi as I wrote before I went to frecheville school from 55 to Christmas 58 just wondered if anyone can remember Linda Clarke who was their at that time married name Harris I have never seen her since 1961 good old days 

On 07/05/2008 at 18:52, Janet Alexa said:

I ATTENDED FRECHEVILL FROM 1962-1965 AND I VIVIDLY REMEMBER MISS GREEN....WHAT A TYRANT! SHE USED TO SCARE ME TO DEATH. LEFT SUNNY SHEFFIELD IN 1965 WITH MY PARENTS AND CAME TO TORONTO CANADA; TRY TO GET TO SHEFFIED AS OFTEN AS I CAN..........ALWAYS A YORKSHIRE LASS AT HEART!

I was always in trouble at frechville school got ca