The Fat Cat Pub

Hi,

I want to visit the Fat Cat Pub as I have heard so much about it. Great Real Ale!

I will be arriving into Sheffield by train at the main station. I am new to the area so please forgive any questions that may seem pretty obvious.

I understand there is a tram service in Sheffield. Can I get to the Fat Cat from the station by using the tram or will I have to walk?

regards, Pete

I personally would walk to the fat cat from the train station as it is only half a mile. You could get on the Middlewood or Malin bridge tram, but after it has gone all the way up west street and back, it has gone on a big detour. If you want to have a ride on the tram As it is quite nice, you need to get off at the Shalesmoor Stop you will still have a quarter of a mile to walk.

I would recommend a visit to the nearby Kelham Island Tavern if you are going to the Fat Cat. They are on adjacent streets and both great real ale gems.

Hi Pete,

Muddycoffee offers some sound advice, but I'd go further and suggest that if you're here all day why not visit some of our other excellent real ale boozers in Valley of Beer....

The Kelham Island Tavern is an excellent pub - many (myself included ) would rate it more highly than the Fat Cat these days and further along you'll

find the Wellington, The GeorgeIV ( whose major selling point seems to be cheapness of the ales rather than quality) the Hillsborough Hotel, The New Barrack Tavern and of course Hillsboro's very own Wetherspoons the mighty Rawson Spring......

Have fun!

It's a little further than half a mile. I'd go with the tram, or better, get a taxi from the station - shouldn't be more than about £4.

Is the Kelham Island Brewery located in the Fat Cat Pub?

Any idea of costs of a pint in the two pubs mentioned.

Cheers.

There are plenty of good quality cask ale pubs in Sheffield these days.........

There are plenty of good quality cask ale pubs in Sheffield these days.........

you open this afternoon? :)

Yes, you can do the tram crawl.....

Sheffield Station - Howard

Fitzalan Square - Old Queens Head

Castle Square - Dove & Rainbow, Bankers Draft, Circle

Cathedral - Wig & Pen, Three Tuns, Museum

City Hall - Grapes, Dog & Partridge, Lloyds No1

West Street - Bath Hotel, Red Deer, Swim Inn, Devonshire Cat

University - University Arms

Shalesmoor - Wellington, Kelham Island Tavern, Fat Cat, Riverside, Harlequin

Langsett - Hillsborough Hotel

Bamforth St - New Barrack Tavern

Hillsborough - Rawson Spring

Is the Kelham Island Brewery located in the Fat Cat Pub?

Any idea of costs of a pint in the two pubs mentioned.

Cheers.

No it is around the back, an adjacent building.

From my website of pubs in that area

http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/neepsend.htm

Fat cat http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/neepsend/fatcat1796.jpg

Brewery http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/neepsend/kelhambrew1798.jpg

My problem with the fat cat is I often find lots pig ignorant people who insist on standing at the bar which is tiny and very crowded, making it really difficult to get served. If you were a small person you would have a great deal of difficulty. Especially when you need to get to the actual bar to understand what the beers are and their relative strengths etc.

That's why I prefer the Kelham Island Tavern, which has a very impressive selection of cask ales and a better layout but mainly the people and staff in there are much more fun, whereas I always find a lot of scowling in the Fat Cat.

I enjoyed those web sites muddycoffee. I'll spend some time browsing through them. Sheffield looks a real haven for Real Ale drinkers! I am hoping to move into the area one day. Probably outside of Sheffield. Looks as though the transport links are excellent as well. That is a 'key' need for me.

Last time I was in Sheffield was for a semi-final at Hillsborough whem my team lost 2-1 to Sunderland. You can see how long that was ago!

I was thinking of Grindleford area as a place to rent a place in.

Grindleford is nice and you can travel between sheffield and Grindleford by train, I am sure.