Where's the Gay Scene?

viva climax? is that the all day barbeque one they did last year?? i hope the airbrush tattoo man is there if it is..

Do "gay clubs" play different music to "straight clubs"??

I don't really understand why there needs to be gay and straight.

Can't everyone just go to the same places and mix together and just have a good time regardless of sexual persuasion? :confused:

There are plenty of so called mixed bars in Sheffield, but I wouldn't feel comfortable snogging or holding hands with another fella in any of them!

Can you imagine being in a pub on West Street say Varsity or BRB and two guys decided to hold hands, a perfectly acceptable thing to do with your partner in public if your straight.

But heaven forbid if 2 guys did that in a mixed public place and I should know!

The majority of the straight people in there would just ignorantly stare till their eyeballs fell on the fall. Some would take it a step further and threw verbal abuse, some even further would threw punches!

Stopped going to Polysexual at the Forum on a Saturday night when it was running (Promoted has being a mixed night), although the door staff did used to warn groups off straight guys that homophobic behaviour would not be tolerated. Numerous time's I was made to feel very uncomfortable and even got spit at whilst dancing and called all the usual gay-names, which actually make me laugh!

Not exactly what you want, when you've been working all week and you just want to go out and have a good time.

So YEAH I do think there is a genuine need for gay venues in Sheffield.

God I never realised there were so many gays in sheffield.

Woul'd I be correct when I say there are at laest 6 gay bars in the city,if so you are spoilt for choice.

Have you tried that one on carslile street,ive been told it is very good,not that im gay or anything.

I once went in the cosack out of curousity with some friends and it was ok ,but the price of the drinks was excessive,you seem to pay a lot for having gay bars.

Skyfitsboy I didn't realise there was still so much homophobia about. I'm shocked! I can't believe someone would spit on you.

I mean I can understand that some people just don't like the idea of homosexuality and it might bother then, but to actually shout at someone or spit on them is quite disgusting.

If I saw two men snogging in a bar, yeah I admit I probably would have a look because It's nothing something you see everyday, but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. After the initial novelty of the sight had worn off I'd probably think "oh pack it in you soppy sods" old romantic that I am! :D

message by Royjames

Woul'd I be correct when I say there are at laest 6 gay bars in the city,if so you are spoilt for choice.

Have you tried that one on carslile street,ive been told it is very good,not that im gay or anything.

I once went in the cosack out of curousity with some friends and it was ok ,but the price of the drinks was excessive,you seem to pay a lot for having gay bars.

6 gaybars?! This is Sheffield not Leeds!

There are only 2 gay bars in Sheffield I am aware of these are Dempseys and Club Xs.

Could you tell me where the other 4 are please because I would love to be spoilt for choice.

As for The Cossack that shut down ages ago and for goods reason, it was little more than a garage!

Both Dempseys and Xs very cheap and nasty places with overpriced drinks, and to get to Xs which is in one of the most disgusting places in Sheffield - Burngreave cost's a fortune.

Alot of small towns in the UK have better gay place's than Sheffield, it's so embarassing when gay friends from other cities come over to see me and they want to sample Sheffield's gayscene.

I'm just thankful we have Climax, shame it only once a month.

Report this Post | Link | IP

there's that twin one by Xes - ma bakers? they also say there;s one near gatecrasher, but not sure, the the odds are on them being dives. Anyone know if it's all day climax this saturday??

Sorry if I have shown my ignorance about the number of bars for gay people,I have to say that you do get a raw deal what with over priced drinks and lack of venues.

I did nor know the cosack had closed down,I woul'd have thought that with the population of the U K being 10% gay it woul'd make good comercial sense for someone to cater for that market.

As they say the pink pound has a lot of buying power,anyway hope you find something to your liking soon.

Guest Pauly

Went to Climax for the first time ever on Saturday and had a great night out. Would recommend to anyone, gay, bi or straight. It felt really free and relaxed in there as nobody cares what anyone else thinks. I'll definately be going again next time. Anyone know when the next one is?

I'm aware that Fairy Likuid is this Saturday but from what I've heard it's not up to much.

BTW....did anyone see Marco in Climax this weekend? He was being kept busy all night by people wanting to chat and get pictures. Hehe

Does anyone know why Sheffield doesn't want to be part of the 21st Century. You know, it was a great city once. When did it decide not to move on like Leeds or Manchester (or Nottingham)? Who wants to be in the biggest village in the country or the People's Rebublic of South Yorkshire? Forgive the following comment from a straight but maybe the reason there's no Gay Pride in Sheffield is because there's no Sheffield Pride?

Guest Pauly

Can you give any examples or is it just that there's not much of a gay scene? Not having a go at you, just curious.