Where's the Gay Scene?

anybody going to the climax all day bender on July31st?

how exciting :D

pm me or something :) xx vampy xx

I've heard the Climax all day'er extends into Western park in the daytime. Is this true ? Can't believe it myself, in Sheffield too ?!!

Yes, I agree Princess M, Fairy Likuid is awful and so obvious (ie. cheese on cheesy rubbish music). The trouble is, all these 'gay' nights are made for 'Marco's' (as in BB). It's full of screamers ! Annoying campers camping it up. More mincers than a sausage factory.

Hate Dempsey's too due to that 'Poundland' feel. Low life gaydom ! No style, no character, no attitude which are all the elements missing in Sheffields gay scene and clubs.

The best one (but not exactly great either) is Climax. At least they have a slightly differing music polcy in the 2nd room but even then it's getting a bit obvious, playing the same choons each month.

Have I missed any out ?

CLIMAX - the best by far!

Been going for 6 years and I'm still not teird of it.

Think Sheffield is in desperate need of a decent full time gay club in Sheffield though.

Something on the same scale as NG1 in Nottingham and Queens Court in Leeds would do Gr8t business!

Some people will say there isn't the demand for it in Sheffield but when you consider how many people go to Climax (which is incidently the University of Sheffield Union's most successful monthly club night) and when you also consider that there are over 500 registered profiles for gaymen in Sheffield on Gaydar.co.uk, who knows how many gay people live in Sheffield are unregistered, I'd estimate about 75% aren't.

The only reasons the last few full time gay clubs have bombed, i.e. Freedom and Planet is because the venues was so cheap and nasty with over priced drinks and the club manager's was only thinking about bleedin the pink pound dry!

Think it's only a matter of time before someone with the money and nouse comes along and opens a 1st rate gay venue in Sheffield which will set the standards for other gay pubs/clubs in the city.

God I wish they would hurry up! I cant afford to keep travelling to Leeds and I dont want have to live in Leeds before anyone tells me to **** off over there!

Money itself and prospectors cannot bring Sheffield the gay choice it deserves to have. What Sheffield council, planners, magistrates, police and every other organisation that "governs" the city needs is a "kick up the ass" - they seem to be backward thinking instead of moving with the times

Its fine making Sheffield a "mecca" for students but what about the minorities such as us gay people that get left behind not only other cities in the UK but some small towns which have a better gay choice than we have here!!!

Even if money is poured into providing a decent gay scene in Sheffield happens, the question is WILL the magistrates grant a licence plus will the POLICE do something underhand to block it??

Me cynical? - no, Im a realist, Ive seen it all before.

Why is the Sheffield governing authorities so backward thinking when it comes to catering for it's gay community?

What have they got to fear?

Straight and gay people mix in the pubs and bars without any problems on West St and Division St/Devonshire St.

Sheffield hetrosexuals are alot more tolerant than many other cities when it comes to its gay community.

Its not the people of Sheffield that stop there being a good gay nightlife, its the authorities, ie, such as licensing and police etc.

Over the years generally the gay establishments have been run by one owner(s), its common knowledge, the whole scene has been monopolised basically, and when strangers have tried to get in as it were, they have been "blocked"

Political - dodgy dealings, call it what you will but this has taken place over the years and appears still to do so - this is the main reason why us gay people have to "put up" with such a deplorable gay scene in whats supposed to be one of the biggest and cosmopolitan cities in the UK.

Quote from Sanderson:

"Its not the people of Sheffield that stop there being a good gay nightlife, its the authorities, ie, such as licensing and police etc."

My point exactly, I never said it was the people of Sheffield who stop there being a gay scene in Sheffield.

I don't think the dire scene in Sheffield can be completely blamed on the political dodgy dealings within the Sheffield authorities though because surely they would have closed down Club X's years ago its has dodgy has an hedgehog on the Parkway!

I agree with you - XES isnt exactly a posh wine bar!!! BUT its the only place to go most nights, other than dumpseys ;o)

How do the councils and authorities stop there being a scene and clubs in Sheffield ? Do gay clubs and venues have to have a separate licence to straight places ? Why can't prospective investers open gay place under the same rules as Xes, Dempsey's and Climax ?

What is it exactly they do to stop such places opening, and if so, why can't it be taken to the court of human rights ? Is it to do with the number of votes in the council that say 'don't open any more gay places' ? If so, on what basis ?

I'm same as you. Would like to see more 'class' places in Sheffield like in Manc and Leeds but don't understand how descions are made in the council to stop this ?

By the way. interesting stats on how many gay's there are in Sheffield.

no one really understands why these decisions are made, unless u r in these authorities - but im still sure its all dodgy - how come places like nottingham and leeds, smaller than sheffield - get such a variety??

i wanna go out tonight but other than driving to leeds in which case i cannot drink im resigned to going to the same places yet again in sheffield - oh well, such is life - unless of course anyone knows where i can kip down overnight lol

my best mate is away on holiday so i wont have anywhere to stay - awwww

What about the pub behind the Howard! Its hardly a scene thou. My Dad rekons that they have 50ps nailed to the floor. I don't know what he means :loopy:

If anyone on this thread can help I am trying to trace a friend of mine from Sheffield. James Butler. I know he is still in Sheffield but we have lost touch.

If you do know of him you don't even have to give me any details if you feel uncomfortable just mention my user name to him.