Where's the Gay Scene?

Yes I agree with DaBouncer and Damo on all the points (and no I am not associated to VIP)....

Without this thread we wouldnt know about VIP night and posting it regularly points out that it is alive and kicking, and keeping us informed of anything new happin on a Thursday.

The gay scene is small in Sheffield so VIP does take the spotlight as no one mentions the other pubs who work their. Although I have mentioned them several tiems to basically remind people of the small choices they have.

I would try VIP if I were u as it is a brilliant night, shame I cannot get down more often and I have NEVER had problems with bar staff, actually they are extremely friendly as they tell you what drinks promotions they have.

I was intially shocked by Sicubitts words.

ps - there is also Av-It Bar that is open every night except for a Tuesday, this is opposite Club Xes, this is not a club though just a pub.

Originally posted by sicubitt

Gay is mainstream now, and mainstream is gay.

And gay is not what it was.

What are you on about you deranged queen ?

I guess its time I said my piece about the Sheffield gay scene. When I started going out in the late eighties, the gay scene was something different. As a young gay man I felt that I had to go to gay venues to meet other people and to be accepted.

It was such a glitzy time back then, bottle of champagne in rockies, glen stevens glitter palace in manchester, roy and alan in the cossack, sunday strippers in the albert, proper party nights up to blackpool, bananas and rockshots in leeds - the point is we used to travel all over for a good night out and people from other towns also came to sheffield.

For me the there are several reasons for the dire scene that we currently have in Sheffield. Nationally, the gay scene has changed enormously. Partly as society has changed we can feel more comfortable on the straight scene - this is a fact but only in certain places. Whilst I feel comfortable to go out for a drink with my boyfriend in some of the more cosmopolitan places I certainly wouldnt go into the rougher, straighter places in town as Ive no doubt there would be trouble.

There has also been a real increase in straight people going to gay places - not particularly in sheffield but manchester, leeds etc have become more accessible - suppose that has good and bad points - personally I cant stand the troups of hen nights that have come to laugh at the queens!

Sheffields scene currently is appalling - Everything seemed to go down hill from when Alan & Angel took over Planet - For whatever reason, they were perceived as money grabbers, they expanded to take in the cossack, then freedom and from what I hear were very competetive with other venues such as poptastic. Now thats all gone we seem to have been left with next to nothing.

As far as Im concerened Dempseys is predominately scrubber based - the venue is appalling, the drinks cater to the poor end of the market and I would be ashamed to be seen in there - Xes, though a little better is ruined by the drug taking which is that blatant Im surprised the police havnt taken any action.

Ive not been to VIP yet but will be sure to give it a go. I do think that most of the 'nice' gay people ie those with jobs and taste have got used to travelling out of town for a good night so it will be an uphill stuggle for a new venue to attract them back.

Just a few rambling thoughts!

All this fuss over a cover charge - just a little pathetic isn't it?

No-one is forcing people through VIP's doors.

Personally, I only joined the forum yesterday and until then I'd never heard of VIP, as I tend to get dragged out on the str8 scene by my mates. Though after popping onto VIP's site, I'll certainly be checking it out at some point over the next couple of weeks.

Since some people thought the last 'Where's the Gay Scene Thread' (found here) turned into a promotions and advertising thread I thought a fresh one would be in order, with up to date information.

Sheffield's Gay Scene currently comprises of the following Venues:

Climax - This is a monthly night hosted at Sheffield University Fusion and Foundry building. It occurs either the 2nd pr 3rd Friday of every month (depending on what dates Climax issues).

It's one of Sheffield's oldest and best loved LGB nights.

Two rooms of chart hits to groove to.

Club XES is located on carlisle street in Sheffield out towards attercliffe.

It's open til 6am most nights of the week.

VIP - Sheffield's Premier LGB Event is hosted each Thursday from 8 til late @ Takapuna on West Street in the city centre. VIP offers 2 rooms of music comprising mainly of Blusful RnB with some old skool Hip-Hop tracks and a dance room of Funky House with some select commercial classics. Full directions and listing on the website.

Dempsey's (sorry no website) is a full time gay bar down towards the bottom of the Moor shopping precinct, Sheffield.

If you get to staples you should find it.

Dempsey's is open each day til 2am IIRC and usually has a different theme each night of the week.

Moist - Is a new gay night starting @ the Hub (formerly National Centre for Popular Music). It will be held on the last Thursday of every month (starts 24th Feb). It's being billed as Hallam Universities answer to Climax. It is a celebration of everything gay. Playing a wide range of chart/pop music so I hear.

Barabara&Soos - This again will be a monthly clubbing night held on the last Sat of each month at the Star Bar (I think that's what it's called) above the old Ice Rink on Queens Road.

Offering a mix of musical tastes from Techno - Dance - Pop - House n all that Jazz. It's looking to be a good night, lets hope it takes off.

Feel free to add your own information of any other nights if I've missed any.

This thread is for a civilised debate, feel free to add your own comments.

All the best :thumbsup:

Originally posted by richynomates

As much as I hate to use a thread to reply to individuals (PM is usually best),

Got it one. Closing. Pruning.

--

edit

Pruned out the redundant argument (was long winded and repetitive and did not add to the thread).

The original is still in Hidden & Deleted, if your post is missing and you would like to see it back, then please pm me, and we will see what we can do.

Normal service is now resumed

Thanks

Phan.

Just to let you know

Club Xes - is open till either 3/4am, not 6am, this was done on New Years Eve as a one off, I believe Saturday is 4am. It is closed on a Monday night.

Av-It Bar - this is on Carlisle Street opposite Xes, this is open every night except for a Tuesday when it is closed. This pub used to be called Ma Baker.

Poptastic is also in talks with a venue to return weekly to Sheffield in March.

Hopefully the gayscene is picking up abit, it cant really be much worse!:thumbsup:

Kirk, Nick et al!

This used to be a fab thread. Come on guys, PLEASE!

K x

I'm deffo going to Moist. Really looking forward to it. Do you have to be a hallam student, or a student in general, though? I am, but I'm just thinking of other people.

JohnnyBoi, am also a student at hallam, so may see you down there if you go sometime

Did anyone see that tumbleweed roll past just then? :D Wow, it is quiet in here!

Anyone going to Climax on Friday? :banana::headbang::banana:

K x