Hillards Supermarket, Sheffield Lane Top

I worked at Hillards in 1975 as a student (from a 6th form) then as a permanent on nights from 1976 to October 1977. Night manager was Dave Cook and assistant manager Steve something, top manager was Selwyn something, maybe Dyson but not sure. Upstairs (top of ramp) was food hall and downstairs (bottom of ramp) was non foods.

Hi Wasthatwise. sounds like you were at Hillards after I was. I think I was there 1970 to 1972 ish! The manager at that time was a guy called Les Harding who went on to work at the newley oppened Lincolin branch. I remember us goint to Lincolin to help prep the shop before oppening. If I remember right Selwyn took over from Les Harding and I left shortly after when I got another job at Wigfalls. The guy you mention Steve if I'm right he was an albino? He was an ok guy as far as I remember. We used to love working over on Sundays " no Sunday opening in those days" We used to start at 6am and work through till lunch time, then Les would take us all for Sunday lunch at a hotel in Ecclesfield. One of the best perks of working there were the checkout opperators :~) one of whom was my girlfriend at the time called josie, can't remember her second name. I thought I rememberd the canteen lady in another post but was wrong. The one I remember was someone called Flood. I can't remember her first name, what I do remember is she used to always have a fag in her mouth while making the food! Try getting away with that now! I must admit working there was a great laugh and every one seemed to get on well, most of the time. There was one guy in the non foods who worked with me I could not stand at the time his nick name was Carrot "due to hair colour" and he hated it. I remember we had a scrap on the shop floor one busy Saturday! that did not go down to well! But after that we were the best of friends LOL. Good times were had there and we got up to many stunts we would have been sacked on the spot for today!

Hi Wasthatwise. sounds like you were at Hillards after I was. I think I was there 1970 to 1972 ish! The manager at that time was a guy called Les Harding who went on to work at the newley oppened Lincolin branch. I remember us goint to Lincolin to help prep the shop before oppening. If I remember right Selwyn took over from Les Harding and I left shortly after when I got another job at Wigfalls. The guy you mention Steve if I'm right he was an albino? He was an ok guy as far as I remember. We used to love working over on Sundays " no Sunday opening in those days" We used to start at 6am and work through till lunch time, then Les would take us all for Sunday lunch at a hotel in Ecclesfield. One of the best perks of working there were the checkout opperators :~) one of whom was my girlfriend at the time called josie, can't remember her second name. I thought I rememberd the canteen lady in another post but was wrong. The one I remember was someone called Flood. I can't remember her first name, what I do remember is she used to always have a fag in her mouth while making the food! Try getting away with that now! I must admit working there was a great laugh and every one seemed to get on well, most of the time. There was one guy in the non foods who worked with me I could not stand at the time his nick name was Carrot "due to hair colour" and he hated it. I remember we had a scrap on the shop floor one busy Saturday! that did not go down to well! But after that we were the best of friends LOL. Good times were had there and we got up to many stunts we would have been sacked on the spot for today!

Dave Cook's assistant Steve was a young guy (then!) with dark brown hair I recall. Softly spoken and fairly slight build-wise. Nice guy..

I think he twigged that some of us were taking Dave Cook for a bit of a ride BUT we did get the work done on those night shifts! Tardis take me back! ;-)

Does anyone remember the caravan place next door to essoldo

YEAH! WE AQUIRED TWO AWNINGS FROM THERE AND JOINED EM TOGETHER AND HAD A MASSIVE TENT ON BANKING BETWEEN ROLLESTON RD AND WILLINGTON RD... GOOD OWD DAYS CAMPING OUT WITH MATES:hihi:

Dave Cook's assistant Steve was a young guy (then!) with dark brown hair I recall. Softly spoken and fairly slight build-wise. Nice guy..

I think he twigged that some of us were taking Dave Cook for a bit of a ride BUT we did get the work done on those night shifts! Tardis take me back! ;-)

Just remembered it was Steve Bentley.

I stumbled upon this forum by accident. I was asking my friend if she remembered the supermarket 'New World', which I thought was in Rotherham, but I am going back about 40 years, and I finished up here! My mam used to shop at Hillards at Sheffield Lane Top when I was a kid (early 70's). The home & leisure department was downstairs and then you had to go up the ramp to the supermarket itself. The library was round the back. I used to go to the library every Saturday morning after my music lesson! We also used to go to the caravan place next door, Capital Caravans, if I remember rightly, (there are a block of flats there now) and next door to that was the Capital cinema, which is now United Carpets and Beds.

My mum still has one of the Hillards Centenary mugs from the 80's.

my brother got sacked from Hillards for telling a fussy old woman to F.... off!!!

Serves him right, see it all time that staff think they are more important than the customer who pays their wages after all

I stumbled upon this forum by accident. I was asking my friend if she remembered the supermarket 'New World', which I thought was in Rotherham, but I am going back about 40 years, and I finished up here! My mam used to shop at Hillards at Sheffield Lane Top when I was a kid (early 70's). The home & leisure department was downstairs and then you had to go up the ramp to the supermarket itself. The library was round the back. I used to go to the library every Saturday morning after my music lesson! We also used to go to the caravan place next door, Capital Caravans, if I remember rightly, (there are a block of flats there now) and next door to that was the Capital cinema, which is now United Carpets and Beds.

And a garage which was next to the caravan place. I was once on the bus coming back from town with my niece who was about 9 and she looked out of the bus window and asked me if they had caravans in my day. I was 33 when she was 9:roll::roll:

The picture palace at Lane top was always Essoldo until it turned into a bingo hall run by Nobles and the carpet shop is still there. In answer to a previous question Rendezvous was a newsagent right at lane top next to where Netto is and Hillards was further down just below bus terminus. :)

Hi, I have just discovered this forum. My dad, Barrie Littlewood, used to manage the Rendezvous for many years! I lived there till we moved to Nottingham in the mid 60's I can remember he used to hold model making competitions with Airfix type models and lots of lads and dads would make and paint model planes etc and bring them to be judged. There was a coffee bar in the back too, I was always fasinated by the glass jugs bubbling away as a kid.

I remember a tram terminus across the road and the Essoldo Cinema too. happy days!

Hi Clive

I've lived down the road from Lane top since 1955 and as far as I can remember the tram terminated at Firth Park, the bus terminated just down the hill between the cinema and Hillards which was built in the 1960s and opened by the then Miss World Ann Sidney:D When I was a child the place where Hillards was built was a field and we used to climb the embankment and walk along the top in our way to the Capitol which, apparently, was the former name of the Essoldo but that was before my time

Edited by denlin

Hi, I seem to remember the trams turning round (or was it the driver swinging the contacts from one end to the other to go in reverse?) across the road from the shop . . . it was a long time ago tho!

I went to Lindsey Road School, and my best m8 (and the only name I can remember) was Paul Liversage . . . wonder if anyone knows anything of him!?

Thanks for the reply.