Hillards Supermarket, Sheffield Lane Top

my brother got sacked from Hillards for telling a fussy old woman to F.... off!!!

I've just found this site and have to hold my hands up and say yes, I was given the bullet for using some choice language. I remember it well, I was only 15 years old, a lady customer had a real go at me because something wasn't clearly priced, I think it was lard, it wasn't my fault, I turned away and said under my breath ' F off you silly old cow'. Unfortunately for me, the ladies' daughter was at the other side of me and heard everything. 10 minutes later I was bagged and on my way home wondering how I was going to explain to my father. Not one of my higher points but I was only a kid and got what I deserved, not to mention a good slap from my dad!

I worked in the Warehouse around 1980 - 81. My boss was a guy called Harold Lemons the warehouse manager, also worked with a guy called Steve. Harold as long gone now i understand, wondered what happened to Steve, also remember other shop staff, Eileen who worked in provisions, a guy called Brian I think who worked in wines and spirits, remember a semi retired bloke called Len who used to work around the back in the boiler room. This was my first job and brings back good memories every time i drive pass the old place. My name is Garry Codd.

Think the Steve mentioned was Steve Ellis. He used to work for Macmarket Pinstone St, also Broomhill. Sadly he's no longer with us.

I worked in the Warehouse around 1980 - 81. My boss was a guy called Harold Lemons the warehouse manager, also worked with a guy called Steve. Harold as long gone now i understand, wondered what happened to Steve, also remember other shop staff, Eileen who worked in provisions, a guy called Brian I think who worked in wines and spirits, remember a semi retired bloke called Len who used to work around the back in the boiler room. This was my first job and brings back good memories every time i drive pass the old place. My name is Garry Codd.

Think it was Brian Frith who worked in wines and spirits.

Sad to hear about Steve Ellis I do remember him well. Was a very fit guy doing all that lifting etc.