Hillards Supermarket, Sheffield Lane Top

Hi Clive

I've lived down the road from Lane top since 1955 and as far as I can remember the tram terminated at Firth Park, the bus terminated just down the hill between the cinema and Hillards which was built in the 1960s and opened by the then Miss World Ann Sidney:D When I was a child the place where Hillards was built was a field and we used to climb the embankment and walk along the top in our way to the Capitol which, apparently, was the former name of the Essoldo but that was before my time

The tram did terminate outside what became Hillards , when the trams stopped running it became the bus terminus .I also remember the field Hillards was built on ,at some point there was a Library on that site . I used to go to Capitol , later Essoldo , on Saurday afternoon , in fact I went to my first "real" film there one Tuesday evening , my older sister took me to see , Fun in Acapulco , with Elvis Presley , she was besotted with him.

My younger brother worked at Hillards around `71/`72 . He left for a career in the pop business , he delivered soft drinks for the Co-op.

The tram did terminate outside what became Hillards , when the trams stopped running it became the bus terminus .I also remember the field Hillards was built on ,at some point there was a Library on that site .

The tram didn't come down that far, the terminus was where I described earlier. The library was above the supermarket. The land that the store was built on, I think previously belonged to Christ the King church. Father Blythe ( of the said church) would refer to it as "The Paddock"

I was a Saturday lad at Hillards (and Wed, Thurs and Fri evenings) from about 77 to 79. Pushing those trolleys up the car park was a bleeder in winter.Used to go for a chicken chop suey from the Chinese on Hatfield House Lane before a couple of pints of Magnet in The Pheasant, Saturday dinner time. Great days!

I was a Saturday lad at Hillards (and Wed, Thurs and Fri evenings) from about 77 to 79. Pushing those trolleys up the car park was a bleeder in winter.Used to go for a chicken chop suey from the Chinese on Hatfield House Lane before a couple of pints of Magnet in The Pheasant, Saturday dinner time. Great days!

You would be lucky if you could find a pub open nowadays.

As I remember at Lane Top, from where the trams terminated, down to the Capitol, there used to be a RC Church & a Jewish cemetery. Are my 70 yrs old memories correct?

As I remember at Lane Top, from where the trams terminated, down to the Capitol, there used to be a RC Church & a Jewish cemetery. Are my 70 yrs old memories correct?

Yes they certainly are.

I can remember it being built and opened. The then Miss India opened it.

Just come across this Nigel and Ann Sidney opened it, she was Miss World

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 18:29 ----------

The church(St Patricks) is nearer Lane Top than Capitol, the buiding lower down was St Pats social club and the Jewish cemeetery is part way up Colley Road. We used to play in there as kids

My Mum was the cook at Hillards early 70s her name was Mavis flood, someone remembers her in a previous post on here! My brother Andrew Flood used to work there too his first job after leaving school.

My Mum was the cook at Hillards early 70s her name was Mavis flood, someone remembers her in a previous post on here! My brother Andrew Flood used to work there too his first job after leaving school.

I worked at Hillards in the early 70s my name is Jane Whiteley I seem to.have got a dim distant memory of Andrew Flood The best it about working there was always someone to.go.out with on a Saturday night..

I worked in the Warehouse around 1980 - 81. My boss was a guy called Harold Lemons the warehouse manager, also worked with a guy called Steve. Harold as long gone now i understand, wondered what happened to Steve, also remember other shop staff, Eileen who worked in provisions, a guy called Brian I think who worked in wines and spirits, remember a semi retired bloke called Len who used to work around the back in the boiler room. This was my first job and brings back good memories every time i drive pass the old place. My name is Garry Codd.

Hi Maureen did you live at number 26 and a brother called leslie ??

I worked at Lane Top Mail delivery office. One of the postladies was called Mavis Flood. I remember her well.