Hillards Supermarket, Sheffield Lane Top

Anybody used to work there? :)

I was an all night shelf-filler for about a year (Wed, Thurs, Fri nights) about 1973/4. There were about 12 of us on the shift. Dave the supervisor, Geoff, Bill (I think), Magic Tony, Jerry the jazz pianist, Mick and a few others. We used to have a lovely "lunch" in the middle of the night with Hillards finest produce for about 12p each! Also, I remember a few cage races around the aisles. Also there was a conveyor belt with metal rollers to bring stuff up from the basement warehouse that we used to abuse dreadfully.. I remember one time when Magic Tony brought in his full kids magic show and gave us a show (maybe at Christmas I'm not sure) he was so funny.. A great time of my life that. I was 19 then!!!

I can remember Hillards very well and still say Hillards and not joblot.

I can remember it being built and opened. The then Miss India opened it.

I remember Hillards, i also seem to recall a supermarket before that at Manor Top, here go's with a guess of what it was called, New World ? anyone agree?

I loved Hillards, I used to go with my mum every week, there was a free bus that took you and we used to look round the adjoining shop while we waited for it, it was like a day out!!

I remember Hillards, i also seem to recall a supermarket before that at Manor Top, here go's with a guess of what it was called, New World ? anyone agree?

New World was on Wortley Road near Kimberworth. There was a night club next door where "comedian" Norman ( swingin/ dodgy) Vaughn went down like a lead balloon and vowed never to work in the area again. He was sorely missed (not).

I worked there mid 80's. Left just before the Tesco take over. Got offered more dosh at Asda Chap.

My mum reckon's she nearly gave birth to my youngest brother in there, that'd be 1976. And same here that building is still reffered to as Hillards by the family. In fact Sheffield Lane Top Library was/is in that building?

So where was Hillards then, I moved to Sheffield Lane Top in 1951/52 and I remember the Rendezvous, any takes on that then and whee is my old mucker Malcolm Cook from Elm Lane???

So where was Hillards then, I moved to Sheffield Lane Top in 1951/52 and I remember the Rendezvous, any takes on that then and whee is my old mucker Malcolm Cook from Elm Lane???

Down Barnsley Road, towards Eccelsfield, just past the old Vogue Cinema.

Shopped at Hillards for years, my parents lived on Deerlands Avenue and I married and moved to Nether Edge but still shopped at Hillards on the way tov visit my parents,things were or seemed a lot cheaper than the CO OP who were the the sort of supermarket at the time.

Didn`t New World used to be in rotherham on upper wortley road where the skating rink is?