Saturday Matinees

What were your favorite films as a kid?

Does any oldtimer out there remember "Old Mother Riley"

"Three Stooges" etc. Didn't we have a good time? collecting empty bottles to take back to the store for the deposit on them. and. if we didn't have enough we could usually count on mom to add the rest. Look out pictures here we come!!

Margaret

We went to the Essoldo at Sheffield Lane Top on Saturday morinings early 1960's. One of us would pay to get in then let the rest of us in through the exit door. We didn't always get away with it and sometimes had to leg it sharpish! Can't remember the films just lots of screaming kids.. especially when the film broke or the projectionist didn't change the reel on time!

I do remember Old Mother Riley though!

Usually those made by the childrens film foundation. As a series it has to be Zorro.

old Mother riley you got rammed down your throut on tv in later years

Asaw

After "Old Mother Riley" died and they stopped making the films I never say one again. I remember being amazed to discover that Kitty was, in real life his wife and not his daughter as in the films. You must be a spring chicken compared to me. Zorro came long after my Matinee days!!...1940's

regards Margaret

Asaw

After "Old Mother Riley" died and they stopped making the films I never say one again. I remember being amazed to discover that Kitty was, in real life his wife and not his daughter as in the films. You must be a spring chicken compared to me. Zorro came long after my Matinee days!!...1940's

regards Margaret

You can buy the Old Mother Riley films on DVD. I did.

Yes I can remember in the late 50's early 60's going to the Saturday morning matinees with my younger brothers. We went to the Adelphi and the Pavillion on Atercliffe.The Little Rascals was the series I used to like the most along with flash gordon, rocket man and the three stooges. There was always a short film too. We too used to try and sneak in through the side door and not always successfully. I remember the ice cream woman with the tray around her neck and those lovely ice cream tubs and choc ices, the strawberry mivvis were lovely too - we didn't have much money during those times so sometimes we would just look on longingly Those were the days!!!

I remember the saturday morning films at the Lyric Darnall when the staff walked down the aisles spraying all the kids with "perfume" I think

We would go to the Forum in Southey Green, all western matinees, we use to gallop home :hihi:

Robiet, That made me laugh out loud. Do not recall that happening to our gang but, if it did we would have taken it in our stride.

Just yelled a little louder maybe.

Margaret

Poppins, We did too- got home quicker that way.

I remember the names of the picture houses but, cannot recall which one was where.

Just that it was a fun time.

Margaret

Nigel Did not know they were available, maybe not over here across "the pond". Chances are they would not seem funny anymore. A few years ago I saw a Three Stooges film and could not believe that I ever thought it funny.- Thank Goodness!! Maybe some memories are left unvisited.

Margaret

Rosehadi. We never had money for an icecream that I can remember but, somebody would usually have a bag of spice to share- wrapped or unwrapped just pass it along.

Margaret