SD card problems

Hi

I have just deleted a large volume of files (mostly jpegs) from my cameras SD card as it was almost full. I did this using my card reader and Mac rather than straight from the camera itself.

I have just put the SD card back into my camera & it is still reading as being full - does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong, because the files I removed are definitely not there anymore.....!

It's quite urgent as the SD card/camera is needed first thing tomorrow!!

Many thanks

Claire

Check the little switch on the side that protects it ? Also try and format the card.

Hi

I have just deleted a large volume of files (mostly jpegs) from my cameras SD card as it was almost full. I did this using my card reader and Mac rather than straight from the camera itself.

I have just put the SD card back into my camera & it is still reading as being full - does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong, because the files I removed are definitely not there anymore.....!

It's quite urgent as the SD card/camera is needed first thing tomorrow!!

Many thanks

Claire

Use your camera to format the card

Hi there

Thanks for your replies - the lock isn't 'locked' and I used the card reader as I always do so the batteries (takes AA batteries not lithium type) don't drain away. I can't use my camera to format the card of items that aren't there though unfortunately can I? I have no idea why it still says it is full when the items have gone from the card already....

Thanks for the advice but sadly neither work for me..

Claire

Have you tried going into the camera menu and selecting format (card) ?

Shove it in your PC, right click on it, in the My Computer section, and click "Format", don't enable quick format though, it's not very thorough.

Or have you already done that?

Select format on the camera first i did one on pc and the camera didn't like it but if it doesn't work i don't see what option you have.If you are stuck i can lend you a 1gb or 2gb sd card for today i'm at Heeley.

For all the time it's taking, just buy another card if this one is somehow corrupted, for a few quid. Buying a 1gb SD card is not much more than buying a few blank CD's. Last 2gb I bought cost £7. Before you consider buying a BIG card though make sure your camera can handle it. (Just checked, 1gb SD's £3.99 :o ). At this price you can have a few spares so if it happens again ditch it for another. In future it's sometimes best to use your camera for deleting and formatting rather than a PC.

it could be that because u have taken the sd card out of the camera its using its internal memory

Hi guys!

Thanks for the replies. I gave up in the end & had to panic buy a new SD card, ended up getting it from Boots £13.99 for a 512mb card plus 30 free prints - I know it isn't that cheap but was the best I could find in such a rush.

I am a Mac user btw peeps, not that it really makes much of a difference!

Also, in reply to bigbadkev it wasn't using internal memory as the card was in & has been all along - there's not a bean on the cameras internal memory... thanks anyway!

I still wonder what has made an almost empty card read as full though...... very strange indeed!

xxx

I hope the staff in Boots had the decency to wear a mask.

dont sd cards have a maximum number of writes?, could it have reached this number?