Why does no one vote Conservative?

Actually Gordon Brown is to blame for this recession, I don't know how you can blame a woman who stopped being PM almost 20 years ago. Scargill and the miners themselves destroyed the mining industry not Thatcher.

20 years is not a long time.

Scargill and the miners did not destroy the mining industry.

I don't know how you can blame a woman who stopped being PM almost 20 years ago.

thatcher wanted people to be more selfish. to think just of themselves.

and they did.

they started spending money that they didn't have, to buy things and houses that they could ill afford.

people became greedier as a result of her.

thatcher absolutely sewed the seeds of this recession, by creating people who were hungry for money, regardless of the conequences.

and they did.

they started spending money that they didn't have, to buy things and houses that they could ill afford.

thatcher absolutely sewed the seeds of this recession, by creating people who were hungry for money, regardless of the conequences.

Interesting that you believe she made people do these things...I believe we have free will and make our own choices?

Re people buying houses - I think the housing market initially got skewed because of the Right to Buy. In the really desirable areas, being able to buy at a reduced price and with a large discount was like a small lottery win for those lucky enough to be already living in the properties. Lots of the people who bought these bargains hadn't a good word for the tories, but they happily forgot their political beliefs to take advantage of an offer that most people didn't get. Interesting that Labour, who were absolutely against the RTB still haven't stopped it even though the shortage of social rented homes is going to get much worse in the near future.

Why doesn't anyone vote Conservative? Hmm, possibly because David Cameron is an uncharismatic numpty with all the "charm" of a Rhinoceros's left bollock, and more importantly, their "policies" are a bit lacking?

People still do vote Conservative, they're just called Liberal Democrats now. Or yellow tories for short.

I thought Conservatives have been called Nu-Labour for the last decade or so...

StarSparkle

and they did.

thatcher absolutely sewed the seeds of this recession, by creating people who were hungry for money, regardless of the consequences.

Spot-on post, Solomon

StarSparkle

David Cameron smarmy I think not Gordon Brown makes a better job of that he is in his element now pulling the country back from the brink. Ok it is more or less a worldwide recession but GB has borrowed and borrowed he has helped to almost bring this country to its knees and in a while when all these tax cuts etc have to be paid back we are going to suffer again. I would never vote Labour there are so many reasons why but here are a few Hospital closures, higher crime, fear of walking the streets at night, antisocial behavior without punishment to fit the crime,powers taken away from teachers to punish bad behavior, lack of respect for authority, political correctness gone mad, uncontrolled immigration, need I go on. I would hope that at the next election we have a conservative government to put the Great back into Britain.

Interesting that you believe she made people do these things...I believe we have free will and make our own choices?

to a certain extent yes ms macbeth

to another extent....we are easily led by the power of suggestion

hence the many millions spent on advertising every year and the influence of a certain mr murdoch :)

Spot-on post, Solomon

StarSparkle

thanks bob :D

If dusty, mucky coal mines were open today, I can't even imagine what todays workers would expect, given that people seem to sue companies now if someone so much as farts in the office, doing so in contradiction to any warning sign.

Well there's the irony though. The coal mines ARE opening back up again.

Maltby colliery - been run profitably for years now by Hargreaves Minerals

Hatfield Colliery - bought by a workers consortium and now in production

Harworth Colliery - about to be taken out of mothballs..

The head of UK coal recently stated that the price of coal is now so high, that they can make money by sinking new mines from scratch, never mind re-opening old ones.!

When we think back to what happened to coal, steel, shipbuilding, and all the other heavy industries killed off by the tories, you have to factor in the effect of how foreign governments subsidised they're own industries, whereas the tories simply pulled the plug on ours. Politics was always the driving force behind these decisions, not economics

Never have never will. I guess this is potentially very small minded but i simply cannot bring myself to trust them. David cameron comes across highly untrustworthy to me (and yes i know most polititians come across like untrustworthy rats but hey ho!!).

Someone posted on here that we know the tories hate the poor while labour pretend not to but actually do - its for that very reason i can't do it!!! I am a working class girl who saw her dad lose his job as a result of thatcher and saw the effect the tories had on my community. Don't get me wrong, Labour are struggling but do you honestly think putting a party who don't value anyone who lives above watford or earns below 50 grand a year in power is going to cause a miracle turnaround in our economy, our job security, childrens education, improvement of health services - nope!

Re people buying houses - I think the housing market initially got skewed because of the Right to Buy. In the really desirable areas, being able to buy at a reduced price and with a large discount was like a small lottery win for those lucky enough to be already living in the properties. Lots of the people who bought these bargains hadn't a good word for the tories, but they happily forgot their political beliefs to take advantage of an offer that most people didn't get. Interesting that Labour, who were absolutely against the RTB still haven't stopped it even though the shortage of social rented homes is going to get much worse in the near future.

I agree with this 100% Ms Mac beth.People do have choices and will always look at someone to blame.Why cant people accept responsibility.We live in a blame culture( thanks to copying from America).If you have debt then it is because you signed the loan agreement.If you have a mortgage, it is because you chose to have one.Yes, there are things that happen which are beyond our control, like the managing of the economy, but we all have a part toplay and blaming Margaret Thatcher is pointless.

Many of those industries that she shut down were not effective and many were employed just to keep people in employment.State owned industries are not charities.Whether you like it or not, they do have to keep their heads above water and as the demand for coal/steel was in decline then there wasnt sufficient demand.Times have changed I agree.The unions do not appear to have any power now.

I could give you an example but I am bound by confidentiality.