C.B. Radio in Sheffield

The lady off junc 35 at chapeltown was sweettalker she gave traffic reports to all the truckers.

The older lady was probably LADY L.

Any one remember the BLUE ICE BREAKERS CLUB at High Green

HAPPY DAYS

BLUE SPARK

What a brill thread!Really takes me back.I also remember Darren Dark Angel and his mate Paul,think Paul had a sister called Helen.

We all used to meet up at the old Asda site at Handsworth,and what laughs we had.

I think the cb kept me out of a lot of trouble in my teens,and wish it was more popular nowadays for our kids.

I remember having 'eyeballs' and really made some good friends through the 'airwaves' both old and young.

My mum used to come home from work and find 3 or 4 'breakers' parked on our front drinking tea and coffee,then off we would go to other 'breakers'houses.

We had weekends in Skeggy,trips to theme parks etc..

Would love to catch up with all the old gang,still see a few local people who were on the cb,but think a reunion would be great!What do you think?

You're all talking like it was ages ago, I only took mine out of the van the other year! I used do a lot of travelling between Shrewsbury and Nottingham and the rig came in handy for traffic reports. Not really been used since the sat nav though. :(

I never had a biscuit tin aerial, I was allowed o have one bolted on the side of the garage, with the cable in a sort of washing line fashion across to the house! Other than that, I can't really remember much.

"I was a member of the "Pack Horse Breakers" based in High green"

i went to a cb barbie up there once with a couple of mates,only seem to remember "chris" with sweet martini sat on his knee (the dirty bugger!)

he's been in the papers a lot complaining of wheelchair access to his house,

i also remeber the half cooked sausage's.....bblluuuuuggghhh..

JJ..

Eddie, Fisherman. Now there's a blast from the past. Eddie used to have a two element beam in his back garden which could be clearly seen from the road. This fella used to get complaints from CBers all over Sheffield, Rotherham and the north midlands about him bleeding over all forty channels. He used a Melos along with a linear (burner in CB lingo). A regular comment to him was “knock it down a bit Eddy”.

Eddy’s knowledge of the South Yorkshire and the North Midlands was excellent, with many truckers entering the area shouting in particular for Eddie (Fisherman). He had no problems in giving directions to three truckers all at once.

I gave up CB radio in 1987 when I became a radio ham. By 1987 CB radio was taking a dive with all the abuse and a lot of the good CBers had had enough and were selling up.

Originally posted by jenhoppy

What a brill thread!Really takes me back.I also remember Darren Dark Angel and his mate Paul,think Paul had a sister called Helen.

We all used to meet up at the old Asda site at Handsworth,and what laughs we had.

I think the cb kept me out of a lot of trouble in my teens,and wish it was more popular nowadays for our kids.

I remember having 'eyeballs' and really made some good friends through the 'airwaves' both old and young.

My mum used to come home from work and find 3 or 4 'breakers' parked on our front drinking tea and coffee,then off we would go to other 'breakers'houses.

We had weekends in Skeggy,trips to theme parks etc..

Would love to catch up with all the old gang,still see a few local people who were on the cb,but think a reunion would be great!What do you think?

A mass eyeball seems a good idea. I would certainly attend. I’d love to meet up with some of old CBers.

The clubs I remember in Sheffield were:

Mike Delta, who used to meet in the Three Feathers on Prince of Wales Road.

Steel City Breakers, who used to meet in the Woodburn pub before moving onto the Staniforth Arms.

Kilo Bravo ( killa watt burners) Miners Arms, Killamash.

There were other cubs in the area but the old grey matter fails me again.

Did any of you guys actually buy a CB Licence ? As I only had a buscuit tin set up I never actually bought one :nono:

Seem to remember CB had its own TV licence equivlant type of detector vans floating around, but never encountered them, got told off for broadcasting on Channel 9 the so called emergency channel.

Originally posted by mega_monty

Did any of you guys actually buy a CB Licence ? As I only had a buscuit tin set up I never actually bought one :nono:

Seem to remember CB had its own TV licence equivlant type of detector vans floating around, but never encountered them, got told off for broadcasting on Channel 9 the so called emergency channel.

Lol... I was thinking that too... erm ahem! No would be my answer as of the same reason as yourself... I didnt have a proper set up so didnt think it was worth it... Luckily i got away with it :hihi:

Yes i do believe that they did have a strict policy on CB as of the TV... looking back tho i think it was only about a fiver :roll: how cheap is that :wink:

I used to do a fair old bit of c.b ing does anybody remember Chris Concord at wisewood, shane pintpot and allen inspector gadget then there was ronnie at shirecliffe take two. I used to spend a lot of time at chris's house when I was a teenager they were like a surragate family for me, And I must have been one of the few to have a licence (my dad made me)

I was a member of the "Pack Horse Breakers" based in High green"i went to a cb barbie up there once with a couple of mates,only seem to remember "chris" with sweet martini sat on his knee (the dirty bugger!)

he's been in the papers a lot complaining of wheelchair access to his house,

i also remeber the half cooked sausage's.....bblluuuuuggghhh..

That was when "Butch" from the Salutation roasted a full pig on a spit. around 1982. Chris handle was "Condor" and what a nob sac he is

Does anyone remember IXL on Langsett Road,

I think they were one of the 1st places you could buy imported CB gear from.

Steel city customs, was the shop in between the SWFC ground (penistone road end) and the Gate pub