C.B. Radio in Sheffield

Course I do Jay, hows life?

Not seen Shanie in years (he was living with Toni last time), see Al and Ronnie pops over now and then from Ireland.

Nice to see you mate.

I havent seen Shane for years Mark,ive seen Alan ,most are on facebook now,theres hardly anyone uses cb any more ,ive switched it on now and then and theres been about 5 people on at the most ,send me a pm mate :thumbsup:

Afternoon all. If you want a bit of history about CB in Sheffield ... the first ever guy on air, I dont remember his name but his handle was DUSTER 1

He had a used Volvo centre on Sharrowvale Road just below Hatfields Jaguar.

Of course only when I imported my rig from the good ole US of A ( this was the business) did Duster have someone to talk to.

Ah! those were the innocent days chatting away on the rig to some choice bird only to look in the rear mirror and see a patrol car up yer jacksie.

I had so much boost on that if I was within 50 feet of the scuffers I would bleed out their radio.

Deep Joy as we used to say.............

I mention this thread too a mate of mine,who always talks fondly of the time he was on CB,all the time...... He said he used to go too loads of different clubs in Sheffield. One was on East Bank Rd a pud The Earl Marshall?? Not my end of Town. Firstly anyone got any history of this club,plus how many clubs was there in Sheffield at the height of CB & their names.

OMG ... just come across this thread and what a blast from the past! I can remember loads if the names on here. I was Flowerpot and my ex husband was Big Ben. Other names I can remember are Midnight Man, Gunsmith, The Driver, Bright Eyes, Fisherman, Joe Pirate, Red Alert, crikes small world.

OMG ... just come across this thread and what a blast from the past! I can remember loads if the names on here. I was Flowerpot and my ex husband was Big Ben. Other names I can remember are Midnight Man, Gunsmith, The Driver, Bright Eyes, Fisherman, Joe Pirate, Red Alert, crikes small world.

dont suppose you mean shaun big ben do you?

I was "rainbow lady" hubby was "mad hatter" friends were Quantro queen, "midnight star" my a long time ago-- memories !!

Does anyone remember Boney m .. no not the group,the handle of someone on the cb ????

Hi there i new a Boney m, She was from new addington, croydon. My grandad joined the group NAS. I think boney m run it. also new globtrotter he is a relation of mine

hi i live in wybourn, the guy who had the massive cb aerial has either passed away or moved, the aerial no longer there and house empty

Hi this was Eddie Fishermans my uncle but has passed away thats why its gone and house was empty :(

What an interesting blast from the past thread. So many names I remember.

Does anyone remember Monte Carlo (Roy), He lived on Buchanan Road area opposite the newsagent. Last time I saw him was about 1985, and last spoke to him around 1991-93 by chance on a friends CB by chance encounter.

I know he will be getting on quite a bit by now and wonder if he is gracing this planet with his presence. He was a "non-uncle" to me and very special in our family.

I didn't have a handle - just a listener... and loved my old Harrier CBX.

Thanks, thats a 10-7 good buddies. Roger n Out! :-)

Edited by vibes

What a great thread. I've just spent over an hour reading the previous 30 something pages. Just a few of my memories.

Bought a Ham International Viking from a mate at work in either '78 ot '79. Had it on a snatch bracket until I eventually got a concorde with SSB. At one stage I also had a Ham International Jumbo which we put the mystery ('a') channels on.

Local clubs I was in were OCB (Outer City Breakers) and YEB (Yorkshire Elite Breakers). After the meets we often used to cruse around and then end up at GG's - a burger caravan in Thos Ward's car park.

Best eyeball was one to Lincoln, it was crap so everyone went on to Skeggy. With so many vehicles just following each other we made a continuous convoy loop from the round-a-bout (sorry, polo mint) near to clock tower to the next round-a-bout along. I think we jammed up Skeggy for a while!

At one time I had a 7" firestik on the back of my Triumph 1500. It was on the front cover of CB Magazine following their trade show. Lots of other cars in view so not exactly featured. But did also get to meet 'Jill' from the famous 'Can't lik a sitk' advert of the time for firestik ariels. Still got the mag somewhere.

Back then. CB's were a great little community. They'd do anything for each other. I think it was OCB were we pulled a customized beetle all around south side of Sheffield to town. I think this was for the Children's Hospital. Then all of a sudden it was 1981 and the start of legal FM with those silly little round badges on the rig. In 6 months the airways were full of idiots and it all came to an end. May be it got better But I'd lost interest by then and perhaps grew up a bit too. 10-10, on the side. Ben Nevis

c.b is pretty much dead in the sheff area now .dont know why it may be that people have all got ps2s and x boxes to pass the time now lol!!:thumbsup:

or they may have been on E-Bay & got themselves a life ! :hihi: