C.B. Radio in Sheffield

Years ago when I first came to Sheffield I had a C.B. in my car.

There was always a bloke on in the mornings called Eddie (Fisherman), who gave waggon drivers directions arround the city.

I once asked for directions myself and was amazed at the detail he gave, even down to the heights of the bridge's I was passing under.

There was also a lady living somewhere near Chapeltown who used to be on at tea time to talk to the truckers on the M1.

Are they still on? and does anyone else remember them or did I just dream it all?

EDIT* My handle was "The Magic Ball", what was yours?

Back in my youth i was a CB'er... I loved it...

I got in with a crowd back in Gosport... we used to have a lot of fun... Playing tricks on people along with playing mouse trap/cat& mouse? (cant think lol :? ) was great fun anyway...

The best time we had was when we parked my friends car right at the edge (where people walked past) in quite a full car park... His car was fitted with PA system... We would all sit in another friends car whilst using the CB/PA system to talk to people walking past... we called it the 'Talking Mini' we would say "excuse me... yes you! can you tell me are my wheels clean!" "do you like my colour" should have seen some of the people's faces... we had a right laugh doing it... Very daft :hihi: but hey we were kids! :wink: well ahem! thats my excuse...

It's that long since I used CB that I can't even remember what my 'handle' was :huh:

I remember talking some truckers, t'was great fun :)

c.b is pretty much dead in the sheff area now .dont know why it may be that people have all got ps2s and x boxes to pass the time now lol!!:thumbsup:

As a radio amateur I had mixed feelings about CB - mainly because I got the blame for their interference! :)

I had a legal 27MHz FM rig for a while which I used mainly to speak with overseas CBers when the skip was in - sort of an additional amateur radio band for me!

I don't even know what the bands are in use today - is 27 still running? What was the other one that never took off....930? That was going to be closed, wasn't it?

Joe

I bought a CB about 7 years ago just to see what it was like but it was very quiet compared to the early 80s when CB was in its element.

Eddie thee Fisherman lived in Wybourn and was disabled and had both hips replaced when I last spoke to him OOoh must be 12 years ago.

If anyone on here is from the Wybourn then they may know of him and if he is still around today.

Im sure I saw Eddies aerial still in his yard the last time I was in Wybourn - will have a look next time im passing.

There was also a lady living somewhere near Chapeltown who used to be on at tea time to talk to the truckers on the M1.

I remember her, she sounded really young and in actual fact was 65+ cannot think of her handle yet.

I remember about 12 years ago there was a woman on the Wybourn who's handle was 'Midland Lady' (Yes she did have a Midland CB ;)). I was only a 'chabbie' at the time and thinking i was hard, i gave myself the handle 'Dark Angel' :suspect: .

Those were the days!. There were Ariel's everywhere you looked (most of never had a licence though). I had 2 CB's, a Wagner home base which someone at IXL.CB told me was illegal?. And a Harvard with another board in it. I can't remember what it was called (possibly a midnight board), i wonder if this is what you were talking about Joe?.

Originally posted by vidster

I remember about 12 years ago there was a woman on the Wybourn who's handle was 'Midland Lady' (Yes she did have a Midland CB ;)). I was only a 'chabbie' at the time and thinking i was hard, i gave myself the handle 'Dark Angel' :suspect: .

Those were the days!. There were Ariel's everywhere you looked (most of never had a licence though). I had 2 CB's, a Wagner home base which someone at IXL.CB told me was illegal?. And a Harvard with another board in it. I can't remember what it was called (possibly a midnight board), i wonder if this is what you were talking about Joe?.

Oh yeah, the midnight board was the secret AM board I think.

I used the side band a lot to QSL my handle was Multi Storie.

Originally posted by vidster

I guess you're not 'Dark Angel' Darren from Woodhouse then!

Originally posted by alchresearch

I guess you're not 'Dark Angel' Darren from Woodhouse then!

That'll be a negative break :hihi: