Hyde park, castle court

hi.

does anyone know what the floors were called before the modernisation.

On the smaller of the two blocks that are still standing, (now called Harold Lambert Court), there were rows named High Pavement Row, Rubens row, and Link Row. There might have been a fourth row, but i can't remember)

I can't remember the name of the very top row, (Cricket Inn Gardens was the top row of the long, low block that is still standing, now dubbed "Castle Court") on the very smallest block, (which was also demolished,) it was Stepney Row, and Snow Hill Row. the top row on that block was the first couple of dozen properties on Link row.

From Broad Street, you got the lift up to Link Row, walked over the little bridge, between the blocks, and then took another lift up to High Pavement Row

you then walked along High Pavement Row onto the largest block, to access the seven "rows" of that block (see below) and, if you went along the section that ran behind the shops, you had an access bridge onto the long low block and Chequers Row.

like on Kelvin, and the Park Hill flats, the rows were named after the old streets that the "streets in the sky" replaced.

On the largest block (demolished) there was (from the bottom floor, up to the highest, Seven rows, and the rows were named :-

High Pavement Row (where the shops were)

Bevis Row,

Chancel Row,

Dacre Row,

Lord Row,

Rowland Row

and Saint John's Row which was the very top.

the long, low block -castle Court- had floors named (from the bottom, up, again)

Bungay Row

Chequers Row

Derwent row

Ropery Row

Cricket Inn Gardens

There were the terraces of flats, known as "the penthouses" on the hillside by HPF, which were Hyde Park Walk, and Hyde Park Terrace. they are still there, having been refurbished about fifteen years ago.

There were four pubs, "way back when" on HPF.

On the largest block there were two:- "The Crow's Nest", and "the Target".

On the block that housed Bungay Row, there was "The Samuel Plimsoll", and at the Duke Street end of Hyde Park Walk/ Terrace, there was the Earl Grey (IIRC).

PT

hi.

thanx Plain Talker for taking the time.

i live in castle court and i am interested in finding out about the old hyde park.

do you know any other interesting facts about the flats or any book or website etc that i could get info from.

cheers

I can tell you loads about HPF

there were roof gardens on the top floors of two of the blocks (the biggest and the littlest blocks).

there was a good sense of community on there, but there was a fair base of characters/ crackpots on there

there is a thread from last summer on here where we discussed the flats, and the links to le corbusier etc

What do you want to know? pm me and ask away!

PT

what are the floors in the red and white building called now? x

the pub at then end of Hyde Park Walk was Earl Francis not Earl Grey

the pub at then end of Hyde Park Walk was Earl Francis not Earl Grey

I always got the names of the pub on the shops at park hill and the name of the Earl Francis on HPW confused, diamond. my apologies for that error.

Was it the one on the Park Hill;Shops that was called the Earl Grey?

big block....bottom up (1/2 still standing) bevis ,chancel, dacre,lord,roland,st johns gardens

medium block...bungay.checker.derwent,ropery,cricket inn gardens

small block(1/2 still standing) stepney,snow hill,link.high pavement,bernard gardens

pub at the side of hyde park walk was earl francis,the pub on park hill shops was earl george

sorry forgot rubens.....so it was stepney,snow hill.high pavement,rubens bernard gardens

there were also a roof garden on the middle block....all 3 had them but was always locked no one ever went in

lived on flats for around 25 years so do no a bit lol

big block....bottom up (1/2 still standing) bevis ,chancel, dacre,lord,roland,st johns gardens

medium block...bungay.checker.derwent,ropery,cricket inn gardens

small block(1/2 still standing) stepney,snow hill,link.high pavement,bernard gardens

pub at the side of hyde park walk was earl francis,the pub on park hill shops was earl george

Big block, Bottom up was High Pavement, Bevis, Chancel, Dacre, Lord, Rowland (sp? Roland?) St John's Gardens, All now Demolished

Middle block (Still standing, clad in red) was Bungay, Chequers, Derwent, Ropery, Cricket Inn Gardens,

Smaller Block (Still Standing as Harold Lambert Court, clad in green) was Link Row, Rubens Row, High Pavement Row, Bernard Gardens.

Smallest block, (Was nearest Town, now demolished) had Stepney Row, Snow Hill Row, and Link Row.

there were also a roof garden on the middle block....all 3 had them but was always locked no one ever went in

lived on flats for around 25 years so do no a bit lol

There weren't any roof-gardens on all smaller blocks, to my knowledge, only on the biggest block, and, I think the very smallest, but, yes, the garden was locked up, and unusable by the tenants, from at least the late seventies. (A mate of mine lived adjacent, on St John's. It used to scare the dickens out of me being that high!!!)

The top floors of the biggest three blocks had large balconies which went all along the fronts of the flats, The top rows were all on the one level, unlike the lower rows, which had three levels, with their accommodation going up, down, or on the level, depending on the size of the flat.