Is There A Tinsley Anymore ?

My great-great-great....... grandfather Thomas Tinsley left Tinsley in 1638 to come to america . Are any Tinsleys left in tinsley ?

Tinsley is still there but much changed during my life time.I spent most of the first three years of my life there -up to 1945. Then went back to London. My father grew up in Tinsley and moved to London in 1920's. I have many memories of times spent in Tinsley - there can't be many years when I didn't visit. (In fact will be there in May to visit my aunt the last of fathers generation - she will be 99 in December!) In particular I remember the wall on the old Sheffield Road from where friends and I would watch the men working in Tinsley Rolling Mills.

I lived at 28 ferrars rd up to 1961

Tinsley has a very fluid occupancy because of the recession and immigration. Foreign agency workers dominate the town with little money being fed back into the local infrastructure so all the shops and services are dwindling and closing.

The pakistanis run the town owning all the shops and more than half the houses, housing the overcrowded european workers and getting them to dig up all the gardens and harden them with block paving and concrete.

I think within another generation it will become one big industrial distribution area.

err and I do know the Harphams lol.

i new christine harpham

I lived in Tinsley untill 1982,but went to Park house for the last year or so of school. Remember it been a good place to grow up,used to live oposite the infants school. Not so long ago,I drove through Tinsley and decided to have a drive round the old place,it aint the same.Bosworths shop,Mollys beer off,both gone.The shops at the Pike and Heron didnt seem the same.It didnt feel the same.Very sad realy.

Does anyone know if there used to be a fruit and veg shop on Raby Street?

Does anyone know if there used to be a fruit and veg shop on Raby Street?

Yes there did,about half way down towards Dundas rd,on the left,on the corner.At the other end of that road- the name escapes me, there was a paper shop. Does anyone remember the little chip shop on Dundas rd? or Avrils wool shop at the end of Norborough rd,next to the Co-op? :)

I used to live on ferrars road opposite the talbots and the registers, further up were the freemans, all us kids used to hang around in the street, rollerboots an all!

I lived at 178 from 1970 but left around 1982.. i too go through tinsley every so often and the memories come flooding back..

I went to all 3 schools there... I remember the chippy too, bags of scraps for free!..

The disco at the little methodist(?) church hall... Looks so much smaller now.. good times, good times!

ares seems to be getting pretty rough now which is a shame

I lived in Tinsley fo over 40 years I used to work @ Tinsley Palace the cinema next door to Tinsley Working MENS CLUB, we used to call it the bug hut