Are cycle lanes a waste of time?

I was driving along Abbey Lane (near Woodseats) yesterday and it has to be said there are numerous cycle lanes on there (yes I did say numerous)

For example - one of these numerous cycle lanes.....

Starts at numer 23 Abbey Lane ---> and finishes at numer 28 Abbey Lane. and there are half a dozen of these along this road.

Planner 1, who is responsible for this dogs dinner of an attempt to get people to use their cars less? I hope the incompetent boob responsible was hauled into the managers office, and given a kick up the backside as punishment.

The 10 meter stretch of cycle path on Bradfield Road, is another example

This isn't the bit with the shared use path is it?

No, the pavement here is too narrow for joint use, which is why I have a problem with it. Cyclists are ment to use the cyle routes on Victoria street (via the toucan crossing) or Brunswick street, both of which are clearly signed.

That's another gripe about cycle paths, now you mention it. There are a number of areas were paths a presumed shared, but there is no clear signage or direction...around Meadowhall and under the interchanges there for example.

I was driving along Abbey Lane (near Woodseats) yesterday and it has to be said there are numerous cycle lanes on there (yes I did say numerous)

For example - one of these numerous cycle lanes.....

Starts at numer 23 Abbey Lane ---> and finishes at numer 28 Abbey Lane. and there are half a dozen of these along this road.

Planner 1, who is responsible for this dogs dinner of an attempt to get people to use their cars less? I hope the incompetent boob responsible was hauled into the managers office, and given a kick up the backside as punishment.

The 10 meter stretch of cycle path on Bradfield Road, is another example

As I wrote earlier - these bits always make me chuckle but, with the paired-up islands in the middle of the road they stop car drivers even thinking about overtaking which is their main point.

Still makes me laugh though for each "lane" has "End" painted on the road - I think you overstate the length of the cycle lane - they barely stetch from just before each island to just past it.

They are not meant to be cycle lanes, they are effectively cheap traffic calming measures i.e. cheaper than building the pavement out into the road.

Us motorists only have ourselves to blame - we cannot be trusted to drive down a wide road sensibly.

As I wrote earlier - these bits always make me chuckle but, with the paired-up islands in the middle of the road they stop car drivers even thinking about overtaking which is their main point.

Still makes me laugh though for each "lane" has "End" painted on the road - I think you overstate the length of the cycle lane - they barely stetch from just before each island to just past it.

They are not meant to be cycle lanes, they are effectively cheap traffic calming measures i.e. cheaper than building the pavement out into the road.

Us motorists only have ourselves to blame - we cannot be trusted to drive down a wide road sensibly.

That explanation may actually be true.

In all honesty, the cycle lanes are not much use to anyone on a Cycle

[Abbey Lane cycle lanes]

In all honesty, the cycle lanes are not much use to anyone on a Cycle

I disagree.

I ride up and down Abbey Lane several times a week. I never use the cycle lanes on the way down - my speed is sufficient to integrate myself with the flow of cars and move into the middle of the lane to prevent cars from trying to overtake where there isn't much room while I'm riding at a speed to make it dengerous.

(Someone has made this point earlier in the thread - cycle lanes are a waste of time downhill.)

But I *do* use them on the way up. They give me enough space and cars can overtake me safely. (It would be better from my point of view as a cyclist if the road narrowing bits that squeeze the cars close to me in the first place weren't there. But if they are there, I welcome the cycle lane.)

Generally I think the cycle lanes we have in this country do more harm than good to cyclists though.

We either need Eurpoean style lanes (so costly to provide from scratch to be very unlikely).

Or we need to get rid of cycle lanes and other traffic calming furniture/road narrowing in built up and residential areas and replace them with a 20mph speed limit enforced by averaging speed cameras. That way bikes can safely integrate themselves with the traffic by riding in the middle of the lane. Unless you're going up hill (in which case cycle lanes are a good supplementary idea).

This was a step recommended to the government last year and I caught something on the radio this morning saying that it's going to happen.

[Abbey Lane cycle lanes]

Or we need to get rid of cycle lanes and other traffic calming furniture/road narrowing in built up and residential areas and replace them with a 20mph speed limit enforced by averaging speed cameras.

I asked the council about making the narrow residential roads near me 20mph (as opposed to a one way system they were planning). The reply was that they can't do a 20mph zone without spending a great deal of money on traffic calming, so they wouldn't. Apparently you can't just put up a sign saying "20", you have to spend hundreds of thousands on creating something called a "traffic calmed 20mph residential zone" or some similar burocratic nonsense, which involves many "stakeholders" such as the police as well as various other people and loads of road humps, chicanes and other nonsense... common sense seemed not to be an option.

But traffic speed cameras aren't needed, I'd prefer drivers to watch the road.

Not narrowing the road would make cycling safer IMHO, along with the option to use the pavement around awkward sections.

I asked the council about making the narrow residential roads near me 20mph (as opposed to a one way system they were planning). The reply was that they can't do a 20mph zone without spending a great deal of money on traffic calming, so they wouldn't. Apparently you can't just put up a sign saying "20", you have to spend hundreds of thousands on creating something called a "traffic calmed 20mph residential zone" or some similar burocratic nonsense, which involves many "stakeholders" such as the police as well as various other people and loads of road humps, chicanes and other nonsense... common sense seemed not to be an option.

But traffic speed cameras aren't needed, I'd prefer drivers to watch the road.

Not narrowing the road would make cycling safer IMHO, along with the option to use the pavement around awkward sections.

well, no you can't just put up a sign saying "20" - people would still ignore it - more measures are needed like chicanes and humps that involve planning, local consultation/consent. Things like this don't get changed within "commonsense - we'll just go and do it then" rules however much we 'd like it to be done. Which is why on many road safety issues the UK lags behind a lot of best practice elsewhere - here, everything takes so long to bring into effect.

cameras wouldn't get put up without 4 KSI's within a 3-year period generally. and, yes, if drivers saw and paid attention to the limits they wouldn't need to look out for the cameras.

I agree, not narrowing the road would make life easier for cyclists going up Abbey Lane but they aren't cycle lanes and they aren't there to look after cyclists. They are cheap traffic calming measures targeted at 4-wheeled vehicles who otherwise would be overtaking.

That's another gripe about cycle paths, now you mention it. There are a number of areas were paths a presumed shared, but there is no clear signage or direction...around Meadowhall and under the interchanges there for example.

TBH, when it does exist, the peds completely ignore it anyway. Infact you'll usually find they tend to walk on the bit designated for cycles!

Wonder if they say "wheres your bell!?!" after getting a blast from a 120db airhorn..... :twisted:

[Abbey Lane cycle lanes]

I disagree.

I ride up and down Abbey Lane several times a week. I never use the cycle lanes on the way down - my speed is sufficient to integrate myself with the flow of cars and move into the middle of the lane to prevent cars from trying to overtake where there isn't much room while I'm riding at a speed to make it dengerous.

(Someone has made this point earlier in the thread - cycle lanes are a waste of time downhill.)

But I *do* use them on the way up. They give me enough space and cars can overtake me safely. (It would be better from my point of view as a cyclist if the road narrowing bits that squeeze the cars close to me in the first place weren't there. But if they are there, I welcome the cycle lane.)

Generally I think the cycle lanes we have in this country do more harm than good to cyclists though.

We either need Eurpoean style lanes (so costly to provide from scratch to be very unlikely).

Or we need to get rid of cycle lanes and other traffic calming furniture/road narrowing in built up and residential areas and replace them with a 20mph speed limit enforced by averaging speed cameras. That way bikes can safely integrate themselves with the traffic by riding in the middle of the lane. Unless you're going up hill (in which case cycle lanes are a good supplementary idea).

This was a step recommended to the government last year and I caught something on the radio this morning saying that it's going to happen.

All respect to you for using the bike.

However, how many people (myself incuded) would feel comfy about riding on their bikes along this stretch of road, judging by the amount that do, not many.

And how many people are screaming out for an alternative to car use, with fuel going up? (please don't suggest the bus)

And with the devatation that Global Warming is going to have on the world, then surely the polititians would be bending over backwards and throwing money at Cycle paths as a means of reducing the carbon footprint?

We do need European style cycle paths, however do you think any future British Government is goin to promote cycle paths? just think of the tax revenue that would be lost.

So sadly, we get hammered with carbon taxes and sadly, more and more people are falling for the greatest con trick in history