Sign in to follow this  

Shower facilities at work, are they a legal requirement?

Our wonderful office is a new Grey box on a business park out of town. We were enticed out here with the promise of excellent transport links, facilities, parking and best of all 'new desks'. Anyway, due to the lack of transport links and parking quite a few people cycle to work, there are 3 showers here, out of which only 1 now works. Are they obliged to offer such facilities or was it a good will gesture? Can we do anything about the fact that they are not being repaired other than complain on deaf ears? If the last one breaks do we just have to sit and sweat?

Just wondering where we stand as they seem quite reluctant to repair them.

Cheers.

hhm, we have some but no-one uses them, i think our company offers a shower as an incentive to cycle to work not legally required to though i don't think

I would suspect they are only obliged to provide shower facilities if your job involves you getting dirty whilst performing your duties.

We had to battle to get a couple of showers fitted at out place for people whose chose to cycle/walk to work.

you ever seen those trailers that say"dirty end" on one side and "clean end" on the other, i always imagine them to be some sort of austin powers style conveyor belt cleaning facilites

It depends on what sort of job you do. If you were a coal miner, heavy industrial workler etc, then your employer would be required to provide you with showers. If you work in an office, your employers would not be required to give you a shower so I wouldn't think they would be obliged to repair them.

You could argue that the lack of facilities is a health hazzard, especially if you all start to 'forget' to wash and start to stink to high heaven...

Office based so no special work reason for needing to shower, we did not ask to be moved out here so seems the least they can do is maintain the facilities... Seems they have other ideas.

I could bring you some isotopes in -they'd definitely have to have showers for that.

Failing that, take Binky with you and get him to lick you clean.

I could bring you some isotopes in -they'd definitely have to have showers for that.

Failing that, take Binky with you and get him to lick you clean.

Perosnally I don't use the showers, being in a room with no vents it turns into a sauna while you wash so you come out needing another shower!