Motorcycles undertaking..

I was always so grateful for vehicles pulling over to let me white-line past. It was rather impressive, like the parting of the waves! !

If I see a motorcycle coming down the road I always make the effort to pull in - if I have the opportunity to...

If I see a motorcycle coming down the road I always make the effort to pull in - if I have the opportunity to...

On behalf of all safe and responsible motorcyclists....bless you, sweetie xxx

I haven't had a bike on the road for years, but when I did (for a constant 7 years, five of which were as a full licence holder), I was told by a motorcycle Copper that it's permissable to "white-line" between lanes of slow moving traffic as long as they're travelling in the same direction as me.

I adopted my own rule of only white-lining so that I only white-lined if both lanes were moving at speeds less than 15mph. I'd be looking for the positioning of vehicles, looking at the drivers in their mirrors to see if they've seen me, and if there's a gap only marginally wider than my knees, then I'd politely wait.

When I used to travel up the M3 to Winchester in Hampshire, the two lanes through roadworks would regularly be crawling, and I was always so grateful for vehicles pulling over to let me white-line past. It was rather impressive, like the parting of the waves! I always made a point of thanking the drivers with a raised hand (not exactly safe, but the road surface was drastically better than any in Sheffield!).

Moving past vehicles in the gutter on any size road is basically suicidal on a bike, and I lose respect for any biker who does it, as they're putting themselves in danger, and potentially other road users.

The motorcycle Copper once had a go at me for NOT white-lining in heavy almost stationery traffic, saying that I had a way through so I should use it, but the Law states that if you get knocked off or hit someone, you're on your own and don't have a legal leg to stand on!

What do you mean by white lining?

Over taking over the white line centre roadmarkings ? :S

made me smile...

What do you mean by white lining?

Over taking over the white line centre roadmarkings ? :S

White-lining is riding along the white line between two lanes of traffic travelling in the same direction as yourself.

You do know that Motorcycles can use all bus lanes in sheffield all the time don't you. Eventually they will amend all the signage with motorcycle symbols, but we have permission to use all the bus lanes until then, at all times of day and night..

But not bus gates! Like private cars we are not allowed to use bus gates, unless there is a specific motorcycle symbol indicating that we can.

According to this http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/schemes-projects/bus-lane-enforcement/questions motorcycles can use bus gates without being fined, it doesn't mention anything about signage

the relevant bit is

Who can go through the bus and tram gates without being fined?

See the section on permitted and authorised vehicles below.

What are 'Permitted' and 'Authorised' Vehicles'?

'Permitted vehicles' are buses, taxis, bicycles, motorcycles and "Authorised vehicles".

'Authorised vehicles' are defined in The Sheffield City Council Bus Priority Order as:

• Private Hire Vehicles with suitable side markings, as approved by Sheffield City Council, operating under a licence issued by a Local Authority
  • Vehicles with suitable side markings, as approved by Sheffield City Council, carrying persons on behalf of the National Health Service for medical reasons
  • Vehicles with suitable side markings, as approved by Sheffield City Council, being operated on behalf of a Local Authority for educational or care reasons

Other Council vehicles are not exempt from these restrictions. Marked Police, Ambulance and Fire Service emergency vehicles may also use these bus facilities at any time.

Download the pdf document at the bottom of the page for more information

----EDIT----

scratch that I just read the PDF that says Solo Motorcycles can use SOME bus gates, these are

• Furnival Road at Cutlers Gate

• Holme Ln to Langsett Rd (Hillsboro' Corner)

• Infirmary Rd to Penistone Rd at Shalesmoor

• Langsett Road at Hillsborough Corner

• Middlewood Road at Hillsborough Corner

• London Road at Asline Road

• Penistone Rd to Infirmary Rd at Shalesmoor

• Southey Hill

As defined in this Current Permitted Vehicles (pdf, 62Kb)

The way that some motor bikers drive they deserve to be knocked off. It might make them think then about how bad they drive. I have drove many years and some of the idiots on the bikes I have seen defies belief

I nearly knocked someone of their bike today, I needed to turn right the person on the right flashed me to go, so i edged to the middle of the road, then the person to the left flashed me to go, double checked, then a Motorbike was practically on my windscreen, and he had a cheek to call me a wa**er. Obviously could not see a large transit van emerging from a side street with stantionery cars waiting in turn...D**k head.

just like the idiots that can't see a 1000cc bike coming towards them with it's headlight on , and just pull out anyway.

Although I agree car drivers should be more aware of bikes when turning right. I think bikes often just appear due to excessive speed .

Thank you so much!! Brightened up my day....

The way that some motor bikers drive they deserve to be knocked off. It might make them think then about how bad they drive. I have drove many years and some of the idiots on the bikes I have seen defies belief

I have ridden bikes for many years and have taken advanced training as have a great percentage of motorcyclists. Its prats like this that make the roads an unsafe place to be, its like saying someone running across the road dserves to knocked over. Do you realise that if you knocked off a rider because their riding did not meet YOUR criteria they would be injured or even killed??? bikers dont have metal boxes around them as protection you know!

I nearly knocked someone of their bike today, I needed to turn right the person on the right flashed me to go, so i edged to the middle of the road, then the person to the left flashed me to go, double checked, then a Motorbike was practically on my windscreen, and he had a cheek to call me a wa**er. Obviously could not see a large transit van emerging from a side street with stantionery cars waiting in turn...D**k head.

And errr... who's right if way was it again!? Oh yours because you have a big van and had been flashed out... :loopy:

I nearly knocked someone of their bike today, I needed to turn right the person on the right flashed me to go, so i edged to the middle of the road, then the person to the left flashed me to go, double checked, then a Motorbike was practically on my windscreen, and he had a cheek to call me...

What cheek? You were in the wrong.