Motorcycles undertaking..

Originally Posted by BenW

Under taking on a dual carriagway section of road is illegal.

Not exactly true. If the overtaking lane is travelling at less than the stated speed limit there is nothing wrong with travelling at the speed limit in the left hand lane, passing the traffic to your right. I avoided using the word undertaking as it is not technically undertaking!

good point, thats what I kinda meant to put!!:)

i ride a bike

i allways filter throu traffic if moving less that 15 miles per hour when there is more than 1 lane in the dirrection im going i can see ahead and plan at least 10 cars back..

there is no law that says i carnt filter either side of taffic as long as im not speeding and driving dangrass

most bike riders will make them selfs seen

Recently more and more motorcycles seem to come up the left hand side of my car to get past me.. In the past I have always pulled as close in as I can to let motorcycles pass... Now I'm finding I have to pull to the middle of the road.

Is this right?? I'm certain when I was learning to drive that overtaking vehicles should pass on the right...

I'm moaning as today when the motorcyclist did it he was either going to hit my car or I had to risk pulling to the middle of the road when vehicles were coming up the other side...

They'll probably do it either because they're an idiot or you've been driving like a p*nis, they've lost their patience and undertook you due to your poor road positioning.

Recently more and more motorcycles seem to come up the left hand side of my car to get past me.. In the past I have always pulled as close in as I can to let motorcycles pass... Now I'm finding I have to pull to the middle of the road.

Is this right?? I'm certain when I was learning to drive that overtaking vehicles should pass on the right...

I'm moaning as today when the motorcyclist did it he was either going to hit my car or I had to risk pulling to the middle of the road when vehicles were coming up the other side...

By the way it's worrying you asked this question. Surely you know the rules of the road if you're on it and surely you can take into consideration what other traffic is doing. If there's a massive queue of traffic and no way for the bike behind you to pass on the right but there's a reasonably sized gap all the way up the left hand side of the road - which way do you think they'll go? :|

The way that some motor bikers drive they deserve to be knocked off. It might make them think then about how bad they drive. I have drove many years and some of the idiots on the bikes I have seen defies belief

just like the idiots that can't see a 1000cc bike coming towards them with it's headlight on , and just pull out anyway.

just like the idiots that can't see a 1000cc bike coming towards them with it's headlight on , and just pull out anyway.

Don't talk about idiots to me. Like the bloke who saw a bike 'going too fast' in his mirror, so did a U-turn?!!!! :|:confused:

I often feel really vunerable on my 125cc as cars can't hear it coming...

probably don't understand that you can actually use a bus lane if it's out of hours and went down the bus lane .

probably don't understand that you can actually use a bus lane if it's out of hours and went down the bus lane .

You do know that Motorcycles can use all bus lanes in sheffield all the time don't you. Eventually they will amend all the signage with motorcycle symbols, but we have permission to use all the bus lanes until then, at all times of day and night..

But not bus gates! Like private cars we are not allowed to use bus gates, unless there is a specific motorcycle symbol indicating that we can.

Surely if he undertook you, you were in the wrong lane!! (ie trav in the "overtaking" lane when the left lane was free)

I haven't had a bike on the road for years, but when I did (for a constant 7 years, five of which were as a full licence holder), I was told by a motorcycle Copper that it's permissable to "white-line" between lanes of slow moving traffic as long as they're travelling in the same direction as me.

I adopted my own rule of only white-lining so that I only white-lined if both lanes were moving at speeds less than 15mph. I'd be looking for the positioning of vehicles, looking at the drivers in their mirrors to see if they've seen me, and if there's a gap only marginally wider than my knees, then I'd politely wait.

When I used to travel up the M3 to Winchester in Hampshire, the two lanes through roadworks would regularly be crawling, and I was always so grateful for vehicles pulling over to let me white-line past. It was rather impressive, like the parting of the waves! I always made a point of thanking the drivers with a raised hand (not exactly safe, but the road surface was drastically better than any in Sheffield!).

Moving past vehicles in the gutter on any size road is basically suicidal on a bike, and I lose respect for any biker who does it, as they're putting themselves in danger, and potentially other road users.

The motorcycle Copper once had a go at me for NOT white-lining in heavy almost stationery traffic, saying that I had a way through so I should use it, but the Law states that if you get knocked off or hit someone, you're on your own and don't have a legal leg to stand on!

By the way it's worrying you asked this question. Surely you know the rules of the road if you're on it and surely you can take into consideration what other traffic is doing. If there's a massive queue of traffic and no way for the bike behind you to pass on the right but there's a reasonably sized gap all the way up the left hand side of the road - which way do you think they'll go? :|

He was worryingly close to my car on the left and showing no signs of stopping as he passed several cars...

I learned to drive a car and was always taught that you over take.. I have never used a motorcycle and not sure on the rules... I wasn't driving badly or trying to stop him passing... As I saw him coming down the road on the left I did feel that if I didn't move across he would have gone into the side of my car.. maybe I'm being over precautious.. but I don't think any driver should be made to feel worried!