Speed Camera on Carlisle Street yesterday (Monday 28th)

Ok, this is going to sound like an inflammatory comment, but its a serious question and I'm not posting it to cause an outcry I assure you!

I can't quite get my head around people who object to speed cameras....

The speed laws are one of a few laws that remind you every couple of hundred feet exactly what the speed limits are....ie/ what you should be doing, shouldn't be doing etc...

You don't get warnings not to kill; not to burgal; not to defraud people; not to rape; not to kidnap etc......and yet we all know not to do those things.

Yet, you get daily reminders that actually tell you what the speed limits are - so why the outcry when you do break the law?

There are enough signs/road markings, there for your benefit to observe and adhere to..

I drive roughly 750 miles a week, and I'm sure I do go over the speed limit at times, BUT if I got caught, I'd call it a fair cop.

What am I missing? Because I seem to be in the minority when it comes to accepting that the speed limits are there for a reason.

(genuine question I add!)

To CrazyDaisy:

I'm not against speed cameras on dangerous roads or urban areas; it's just that putting them on Carlisle Street is a daft idea and a waste of Police resources. It's an industrial district with no pedestrians or cyclists, making it a relatively safe road to drive on.

And yet... the area surrounded by such areas as Pitsmoor, Burngreave, Attercliffe... so where do the Police apply their resources...?

what do you lot do when you see a speed camera? do you flash other motorists. i always do. i also give them the rods, for good measure. :)

where abouts on carlisle st were the cameras

It is so easy to accidentally go over the limit on Carlisle street

Is it?

I usually find my eyeballs rattling in their sockets, my brain bashing against the inside of my skull, and my teeth involuntarily crashing together, sometimes catching my tongue inbetween, prevent any speeding on Carlisle Street.

And that's just at 20mph!

Ok, this is going to sound like an inflammatory comment, but its a serious question and I'm not posting it to cause an outcry I assure you!

The speed laws are one of a few laws that remind you every couple of hundred feet exactly what the speed limits are....ie/ what you should be doing, shouldn't be doing etc...

You don't get warnings not to kill; not to burgal; not to defraud people; not to rape; not to kidnap etc......and yet we all know not to do those things.

Yet, you get daily reminders that actually tell you what the speed limits are - so why the outcry when you do break the law?

There are enough signs/road markings, there for your benefit to observe and adhere to..

I drive roughly 750 miles a week, and I'm sure I do go over the speed limit at times, BUT if I got caught, I'd call it a fair cop.

What am I missing? Because I seem to be in the minority when it comes to accepting that the speed limits are there for a reason.

Probably because many believe that laws are there to be broken and "whatever the reasons for the cameras, they don't apply to me, I know better"; and we hear, "the poor British motorist is being fleeced by Scrooges in government hoarding huge sums of money."

Whatever the counter-arguments, many minds are closed to them so the rational facts get ignored:

- any surplus goes to Westminster, so there is no incentive to raise some more dosh. Westminster dishes it back out as it sees fit. There is no Scrooge-like figure guarding a hoard of cash with the words, "Mine, MINE!"

- cameras raise just £20million surplus - by just how much would petrol tax need to be hiked up to generate £20 million? By a fraction of nothing.

- In any case, less and less fines are collected: Speed Awareness courses are here to stay where those caught are offered a course rather than points and a fine. Education is thought to be more effective than a big stick.

Oh well ...

Possibly because:

- Unless the speed leads to an accident, breaking the limit is a "victimless crime"

- Speeding for just a small amount of time may be a mistake but is punished the same as if there was an intent to speed. With most other crimes, a simple lapse doesn't normally lead to a crime being comitted (unless you are Richard Madeley). The Fixed Penalty applies rigidly therefore those who have made a mistake feel aggrieved that they are treated the same as one who may have stuck two fingers up at the limit and decided to ignore it.

Yes, I know a lapse of concentration can kill. This is not my argument and I am not aggreived (I have never received a speeding fine), it is an attempt to offer a possible answer to the quoted question, before people start arguing points with me.

Despite the fact the surface of Carlisle Street is crumbling due to the huge wagons that trundle along it all day, it is possible to drive safely along it at 40mph.

/QUOTE]

So???? the speed limit is 30.

Let me know if this copper has gone please. I always speed on Carlisle street on my way to work so I need to know the road conditions are ok.

Let us know when you travel down it and we will see if we can arrange for the police to be there for you

It's because speed limits are............blah, blah, blah,......... inappropriate speed...... millionth time, can't be ar*** with this yet again.

So???? the speed limit is 30.

So???? The limit on Carlisle Street can be raised for reasons I've already explained in an earlier post.

Do have a full UK driver licence?

Have you owned it for at least 5 years?

Is it endorsement free?

Do you always drive at or under the speed limit?

Are you a safe and courteous driver?

Do you slow down to let people across the road at zebra crossings?

Do you always stop at traffic lights turn amber?

Have you been accident free since you started driving?

If your answer to ANY of the above is NO, then take the plank out of your own eye before complaining about the speck in my eye, dear brother.

If your answer to ALL the above is YES, then congratulations, you can be my chauffeur :)

Is it?

I usually find my eyeballs rattling in their sockets, my brain bashing against the inside of my skull, and my teeth involuntarily crashing together, sometimes catching my tongue inbetween, prevent any speeding on Carlisle Street.

And that's just at 20mph!

Perversely, due to the pot holed surface of Carlisle Street, I've noticed that the faster you drive along it, the more comfortable it is

Anyway, have you tried cycling along it? Now THAT'S fun!