Incest is legal

I've seen this report on television, and it is a horrific story indeed. I've no idea how any psychologist would begin to help this woman or her children. An utterly horrible story of unimaginable suffering, I think.
They have been robbed of so much. I just hope that they can integrate with the society that should have been their home for all of that time, and find happiness.

They have been robbed of so much. I just hope that they can integrate with the society that should have been their home for all of that time, and find happiness.

Yes. I hope that they are able to find some kind of peace of mind.

No it's not. (that is between siblings) I'm from the Netherlands and can say it's not legal. I only know that first cousins can marry (which mainly happens among immigrant populations), but that is also legal in the UK:

http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/legal/prohibited.asp

"Marriage of Cousins

Despite the long list of degrees of forbidden relationship, you can marry a cousin (courtesy of Henry VIII who changed the law to marry his cousin!)."

In Sweden you can only marry if you're half-brother and sister (not that I approve...) and is apparently the only European country where that's allowed (according to the bbc link). So also in France it's illegal to marry a sibling.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6424337.stm

Thank you for clarifying this. I too was shocked by the OP. It didn't make sense at all.

Perhaps the original poster was trolling?

Perhaps. In any case, he managed to give out false information which I think could be dangerous as some people are gullible.

Or...

...many a true word spoken in jest.

:confused: Who knows. (?) :suspect::arrow::shocked::razz:

No it's not. (that is between siblings) I'm from the Netherlands and can say it's not legal.

The internet is full of references to the suggestion that adult, consensual sex between siblings and/or parents is no longer punishable in The Netherlands.

Can you point us towards the Dutch statute which maintains its illegality?

What's wrong with brothers and sisters "screwing" if they use contraceptive?

What's wrong with brothers and sisters "screwing" if they use contraceptive?
:gag::gag::gag:

The internet is full of references to the suggestion that adult, consensual sex between siblings and/or parents is no longer punishable in The Netherlands.

Can you point us towards the Dutch statute which maintains its illegality?

Here is our book of civil law online:

http://www.wetboek-online.nl/wet/BW1.html

with the relevant article:

Burgerlijk Wetboek 1 (BW1)

Artikel 41 | BW1, Boek 1, Titel 5, Afdeling 1

Een huwelijk mag niet worden gesloten tussen hen die elkander, hetzij van nature hetzij familierechtelijk, bestaan in de opgaande en in de nederdalende lijn of als broeders, zusters of broeder en zuster.

Onze Minister van Justitie kan om gewichtige redenen ontheffing van het verbod verlenen aan hen die broeders, zusters of broeder en zuster door adoptie zijn.

Which if I simply translate it for you says that you cannot marry if you're either by nature of by law (adoption) brother(s) or sister(s) both in descending and ascending line.

So there you go. I can't make it any more official than that.

Now as for your numerous references where can they be found???? :suspect:

Thank you for this clarification.

.......... says that you cannot marry .........

Which is not the same as 'adult, consensual sex'. Is it?

Marriage is not a precondition to incest, which is what this discussion is about.

It happens a lot in West Yorkshire, I am led to believe

This is a very well founded fact!

If it's so well founded, perhaps you could offer some evidence to substantiate the claim?

Well, you only have to look at the Dingles :hihi: