Discussion or Lynch mob - why can't we have a proper debate on Sheffield forum?

I don't think anyone is getting my point that I believe a degree of constructive criticism is healthy and I don't mind it. Just pointing out the way in which some people criticise.!!!

Just wanted to let you know that I get your point. People are sometimes offensive and aggressive in their posts, or use vocabulary or jokes which belittles the other's opinion and when this is pointed out to them, they say the person is over sensitive to criticism or unable to accept another point of view. That is the standard retort on here and does not, as you say address the issue.

The way I see it is they enjoy being rude to other people, it gives them a sense of power, they are unable intellectually to express themselves adequately without such aggression or they are actually not very capable of taking into account the feelings and opinions of others, or if they are, are happy to disregard those. If you want someone who does this to admit to it, however, I don't think you'll get that. But it has been acknowledged and people are leaving the forum because of it.

To quote Kirstys point of what goes around comes around. Yes I totally agree with that. Having been on the receiving end of many a malicious email, forum post, and telephone threat in the past which I may add left me feeling very scared and vulnerable and unable to leave the house on my own as a result. I have not retaliated by stooping to foul means but I have sat back and taken all the dirt they threw out and watched these people cut their own throats, so to speak. I have come through it all and more with a very thick skin and will no longer be suckered in by these kind of people

Just wanted to let you know that I get your point. People are sometimes offensive and aggressive in their posts, or use vocabulary or jokes which belittles the other's opinion and when this is pointed out to them, they say the person is over sensitive to criticism or unable to accept another point of view. That is the standard retort on here and does not, as you say address the issue.

The way I see it is they enjoy being rude to other people, it gives them a sense of power, they are unable intellectually to express themselves adequately without such aggression or they are actually not very capable of taking into account the feelings and opinions of others, or if they are, are happy to disregard those. If you want someone who does this to admit to it, however, I don't think you'll get that. But it has been acknowledged and people are leaving the forum because of it.

Yes I can see totally what you are saying here.

You said all of that way better than I ever could, people most definitely are leaving because of it... and lots of others find the behaviour distasteful in the extreme, if things don't calm down I see us losing lots of other members as well.

There is getting your point across and then there is going out to completely destroy and discredit someone :suspect:

Who she's complaining about this time is me Darbee's.

My 'attack' as she puts it wasn't on her per se or her beliefs or lack thereof, it was on the husband who posted a recommendation that "she was very good at what she did" he further went on to say that before his session with her he had been a skeptic but was now a believer, all the while posing as a satisfied customer.

At no time did he mention that he was her husband and that he would gain a pecuniary interest by appearing as a customer and recommending her services.

The thread has been 'clensed' after complaints to the mods and he has edited his origional post.

So he made the mistake of being proud of me, take him out and shoot him for it, and he is my partner not my husband. He has in the past put links and told people I was his GF. Anyone can see from our webs sites he is my partner, we do not hide the fact. I apologise on his behalf for upsetting you. a polite request or PM would have worked better. Which brings us round again to how people put things across.

You said all of that way better than I ever could, people most definitely are leaving because of it... and lots of others find the behaviour distasteful in the extreme, if things don't calm down I see us losing lots of other members as well.

There is getting your point across and then there is going out to completely destroy and discredit someone :suspect:

Thank You both, my sentiments entirely.

I have met Brenda and I want to say what a lovely person she is and will do any thing to help anyone.

Thanks mistyraven

So he made the mistake of being proud of me, take him out and shoot him for it, and he is my partner not my husband. He has in the past put links and told people I was his GF. Anyone can see from our webs sites he is my partner, we do not hide the fact. I apologise on his behalf for upsetting you. a polite request or PM would have worked better. Which brings us round again to how people put things across.

Its a pity he didn't apologize and answer correctly when I asked the question instead of trying to hide his identity posing as a satisfied customer giving out a recommendation.

Personally I don't give two hoots what you believe in, what I care about is misrepresentation, its dishonest, distasteful and illegal.

Its a pity he didn't apologize and answer correctly when I asked the question instead of trying to hide his identity posing as a satisfied customer giving out a recommendation.

Personally I don't give two hoots what you believe in, what I care about is misrepresentation, its dishonest, distasteful and illegal.

I have never been dishonest in my life, one of my faults. And Mick would never have known if it was illegal or not. Did you ask him in the right way? I didn't read the posts so I don't know what was said. I don't tout for custom as I like to do very little these days, 45 years of other peoples problems that weigh quite heavy. I apologise if you think of me or Mick as dishonest, distasteful and illegal but anyone who really knows as will tell you that is not true in the slightest.

To quote Kirstys point of what goes around comes around. Yes I totally agree with that. Having been on the receiving end of many a malicious email, forum post, and telephone threat in the past which I may add left me feeling very scared and vulnerable and unable to leave the house on my own as a result. I have not retaliated by stooping to foul means but I have sat back and taken all the dirt they threw out and watched these people cut their own throats, so to speak. I have come through it all and more with a very thick skin and will no longer be suckered in by these kind of people

Also I should say that this wasn't to do with mediumship it was about our paranormal group, but I took the brunt of it.

As an example of misunderstandings, there are a couple of posters on this thread about disabled parking who have decided to not read my posts properly and have a go at me for saying disabled people shouldn't have parking spaces when I haven't said that at all. They misunderstood and then made sarky replies, so it's easy to get into a row unwittingly.