Discussion or Lynch mob - why can't we have a proper debate on Sheffield forum?

...I think it would be a big help if we knew the age of the posters, before it did not seem to matter as we all were fairly polite to each other, now it would help if I knew whether I was discussing life with some one who had had no time to experience it

hazel

Hi Hazel

I'm seven & three quarters. But I like to think I'm quite mature for my age.

Not all evidence needs to be called 'scientific' to make it relevant.

Religious people indoctrinate because they specifically teach that to question is wrong (not showing faith), they invent a horrible punishment for those who don't believe (hell), reward for those who do (heaven) and anyone who argues can be kicked out of the community as punishment (ex communication).

That sounds rather like being strong armed into 'belief' or at least the outward expression of belief and the habit of obedience.

Oh hello again! So glad you're always around to clarify things for me! ;)

I'm not going to argue against sweeping generalisations made about any group of people, including 'religious people' apart from saying they are all different. We've been here before, I showed how I myself for example don't think in such archaic terms (excommunication?) but you are still plonking everyone into the same box. If that's the way you need to see it that's your problem but it's not a fair representation. I'm so bored of debating religious or spiritual issues I've stopped doing it- same old arguments and insults, with noone listening to each other but thought it would be rude not to reply.

Ignorance is not knowing something and to ban people for that is wholly unacceptable.

Rudeness is a manner of action but I doubt just plain being rude should get people baned either, its deliberate actions that should get people a ban not their lack of knowledge or how they go about their business.

What started this thread was the rude manner in which the OP was put down on another thread, it was excessive in my opinion and should have been stopped, but that doesn't mean I agree with the OP. It wasn't a lynch mob or anything closely resembling that and to portray it as such is over the top in my opinion.

When putting up threads posters should be aware that controversial topics such as religion and the occult will certainly attract posters who violently disagree with you, so you should be prepared for whats to come and not go running to the mods bleating about how you've just been treated. The saying is people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I have never posted my beliefs or lack thereof for this same reason and refrain from such debates here on SF as I believe they are pointless. Just a bunch of believers of one sort or another shouting at each other, and quite frankly I don't blame any mod for not getting involved as they are in a no win position.

I can assure you I didn't run to the mods complaining unlike some people I don't ask for threads to be pulled, I took the stick and answered in my own defence. I wasn't posting about my beliefs because even after 45 years I don't know what my beliefs are, just trying to make people aware of the new legislations. Plus I was merely pointing out the fact that people can be rude about all manner of topics not just mediums and religion.

I have met Brenda and I want to say what a lovely person she is and will do any thing to help anyone.

Oh hello again! So glad you're always around to clarify things for me! ;)

I'm not going to argue against sweeping generalisations made about any group of people, including 'religious people' apart from saying they are all different. We've been here before, I showed how I myself for example don't think in such archaic terms (excommunication?) but you are still plonking everyone into the same box. If that's the way you need to see it that's your problem but it's not a fair representation. I'm so bored of debating religious or spiritual issues I've stopped doing it- same old arguments and insults, with noone listening to each other but thought it would be rude not to reply.

Maybe you can explain how something that relies on faith can be 'taught' to anyone in a way other than I defined above?

I'm not plonking everyone in the same box though, many religious people aren't interested in forcing their views onto others, good on them, but the ones that do want to spread 'the word' do so in my experience in the way I said above.

Anyway, did you understand the difference between indoctrination now and education?

Maybe you can explain how something that relies on faith can be 'taught' to anyone in a way other than I defined above?

I'm not plonking everyone in the same box though, many religious people aren't interested in forcing their views onto others, good on them, but the ones that do want to spread 'the word' do so in my experience in the way I said above.

Anyway, did you understand the difference between indoctrination now and education?

Oh for goodness sake! I was responding originally to this:

I think you'll find that religious people tend to indoctrinate rather than educate!

Which was a response to this:

Including that children should be educated?

Talking about how the chuch prompted education. Not necessarily about issues of faith, but literacy, numeracy etc.

I suppose once again this is going to open a can of worms but here goes.

The particular thread I am referring to here appears to have been pulled as not relating to the subject of the thread.

My partner happened to put my name forward as being a good Medium and was told he was being dishonest in recommending me. He was unaware that he was doing anything wrong. He would never deliberately deceive anyone but never the less he got slated. We both have public profiles and anyone can find out exactly who we are by visiting our websites but the people who hand out this abuse do so under a cloak of anonymity.

It seems to me these people must have had something really bad happen to them to make them so full of hate that they have to be so venomous to other individuals. As I have said I am open to constructive criticism but there are ways of doing this without making it into a personal attack. I personally have never hated anyone although I have had more than justified cause throughout my life. Life is too short for all this. If you don't agree with something, fine but don't immediately jump to the conclusion that someone is a bad person just because they do or say something you don't agree with, especially when you don't know them personally. We have both worked hard all our lives, apart from a short period of illness, and are still doing so. We pay N.I. and Taxes the same as everyone else. I personally work within the law with my mediumship and therapies and pay out a lot of money annually for insurance. I am always very open, sometimes too much so, I don't have any ghosts in the closet (well none that I have found anyway).

I am sorry if a lot of people don't like my 'career', but it doesn't me any better or worse than anyone else, and I can assure you it has bought me a lot of pain and heartache as well as pleasure.

I am sure if you look closely you will find someone more 'dishonest or fraudulent' than you seem to think that we are. I could point my finger at a few, but I don't, I strongly believe that these people get found out in the end.

If you want a decent debate, to find out what I do and don't believe instead of jumping to conclusions just ask and I will do my best to answer.

I wish you all the best that life can give you:)

I suppose once again this is going to open a can of worms but here goes.

The particular thread I am referring to here appears to have been pulled as not relating to the subject of the thread.

My partner happened to put my name forward as being a good Medium and was told he was being dishonest in recommending me. He was unaware that he was doing anything wrong. He would never deliberately deceive anyone but never the less he got slated. We both have public profiles and anyone can find out exactly who we are by visiting our websites but the people who hand out this abuse do so under a cloak of anonymity.

It seems to me these people must have had something really bad happen to them to make them so full of hate that they have to be so venomous to other individuals. As I have said I am open to constructive criticism but there are ways of doing this without making it into a personal attack. I personally have never hated anyone although I have had more than justified cause throughout my life. Life is too short for all this. If you don't agree with something, fine but don't immediately jump to the conclusion that someone is a bad person just because they do or say something you don't agree with, especially when you don't know them personally. We have both worked hard all our lives, apart from a short period of illness, and are still doing so. We pay N.I. and Taxes the same as everyone else. I personally work within the law with my mediumship and therapies and pay out a lot of money annually for insurance. I am always very open, sometimes too much so, I don't have any ghosts in the closet (well none that I have found anyway).

I am sorry if a lot of people don't like my 'career', but it doesn't me any better or worse than anyone else, and I can assure you it has bought me a lot of pain and heartache as well as pleasure.

I am sure if you look closely you will find someone more 'dishonest or fraudulent' than you seem to think that we are. I could point my finger at a few, but I don't, I strongly believe that these people get found out in the end.

If you want a decent debate, to find out what I do and don't believe instead of jumping to conclusions just ask and I will do my best to answer.

I wish you all the best that life can give you:)

I think the issue here is that if you hold yourself out as something than you have to expect that a degree of ciriticism may result. You have the option of a veil of anonymity as well, if you choose disregard that you expose yourself to criticism and in reality may well also lose your right to reply.

However, I think sacredearth you have a point, in that a number of people just use the board as a place to spill some bile and/or venom on any matter they see fit out of pure anger or bitterness or whatever.

However, I think people fundamentally don't enjoy being challenged either intellectually or in their views per se - even in a reasonable and reasoned, non-confrontational way fundamentally, they actually don't enjoy debate. They want a either monlogue or simply an echo of their opinions, which begs the question as to why you would post in the first place? ...IMHO

I don't think anyone is getting my point that I believe a degree of constructive criticism is healthy and I don't mind it. Just pointing out the way in which some people criticise.!!!

I don't think anyone is getting my point that I believe a degree of constructive criticism is healthy and I don't mind it. Just pointing out the way in which some people criticise.!!!
Some people criticise just to be nasty but it is also quite easy to make comments here which are misinterpreted or taken out of context and then get the wrong end of the stick which sometimes leads to big arguments. I wouldn't set out to deliberately upset anyone but some people are a bit too touchy here bearing mind they are only "chatting" with someone anonymously.

Sometimes it is much easier not to post your views or beliefs on Sheffield Forum than it is to post them as I agree sometimes it feels like there is a lynch mob waiting to ‘have a go' so to speak. But by posting your beliefs or views you generally have to understand everyone as the right to reply, even if it comes across sarcastic or undeserved and no it’s not nice as some people just use it as a way of being venomous to others with no real reason. My beliefs and way of life are not exactly what society would call the ‘norm’ but I stand by them and enjoy the life I live and if anyone doesn’t agree with me then that’s their own personal opinion but by posting things on the internet or even on SF you or me personally have to expect some form of backlash or venomous replies because that’s just the way it is and nothing will ever change that as people will always express their opinions in whatever way they see fit. But I also stand by the belief that people should not throw stones at glass houses as certain people I know are willing to dish out the venomous attacks on others but when it happens to them they complain saying it’s undeserved or un-called for maybe it’s what’s called ‘what goes around comes around!’.

Some people criticise just to be nasty but it is also quite easy to make comments here which are misinterpreted or taken out of context and then get the wrong end of the stick which sometimes leads to big arguments. I wouldn't set out to deliberately upset anyone but some people are a bit too touchy here bearing mind they are only "chatting" with someone anonymously.

Who she's complaining about this time is me Darbee's.

My 'attack' as she puts it wasn't on her per se or her beliefs or lack thereof, it was on the husband who posted a recommendation that "she was very good at what she did" he further went on to say that before his session with her he had been a skeptic but was now a believer, all the while posing as a satisfied customer.

At no time did he mention that he was her husband and that he would gain a pecuniary interest by appearing as a customer and recommending her services.

The thread has been 'clensed' after complaints to the mods and he has edited his origional post.