Does anyone remember Mr Mole's Pikelet shop at Hillsborough

As a lad in the 1950s we would go to Hillsborough and buy picklets and oatcakes from a shop run by a Mr Mole. The shop had a huge hotplate behind the counter and the old chap had a large bowl of batter and cooked these things by the hundred.

Nothing tasted better than freshly made picklets. The one's in the supermarkets must be days old when you buy them.

My fellas dad was telling me about this shop only the other week. They used to stop and get some on the way home from the match on a saturday

I remember Mr Mole and his pickelate shop,is this the correct spelling?

Pickelates and oatcakes fantastic fresh off the hotplate.

The shop was where the old fashioned sweetshop was up the two steps if I remember correctly.

I am sure it was the same guy who used to sell Pikelets and oatcakes from a push bike.

It had a great big basket on the front covered with a tea towel.

Tuesday afternoon was the day he sold on Freedom Street.

I well remember the shop - here's a copy of my post on another thread (see http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=2971452&highlight=Pikelet#post2971452)

... the scene depicted in Eric Leslie's drawing in "Oatcakes, Pikelets and Sarsparilla". I imagine the drawing is copyrighted or I would scan it and give a link to Photobucket, but the text reads "There, in full view of the street, was a large flat metal plate kept very hot. Every few seconds a man with an apron (i.e. Mr Moule) would pour a measure of creamy mixture on. There, it would sizzle noisily before being deftly turned over to sizzle on the other side until picked up and served on a piece of grease-proof paper."

This description is very accurate; the shop was always a hive of activity, with old John Moule keeping up production while his wife Jessie served customers. The shop closed when John died in 1966.

You can still get oatcakes in Hillsborough; they're 50p for a packet of 4 from Funk's pork butchers almost opposite where Moule's shop was. They're delicious with a fried egg, or toasted with cheese...

Edited by hillsbro

Yes, just the aroma's coming from Mr Mole's as you stood in his shop the window was to the left and the huge grill on the left. My mother once a week would pick up the pikelets, oatcakes, I somehow dont remember milkcakes. He was a friend of my grandfathers who owned Ward's men's Outfitters. Jan Softly ( Janet Ward) P. S. You are aging me.

I have been in Tesco's today at the old infirmary and noticed they sell North Staffordshire Oatckes- just couldn't resist them and so I bought a pack.

They didn't taste the same as Moule's but they were good and I can thoroughly recommend them to any Oatcake fans.

Happy Days!

:loopy:Moules piklets milk cakes and oatcakes yum, used to have them for saturday tea in the winter seem to remember the shop shut in the summer. My mum had a wool and baby linen shop in Hillsborough, she sold Mary Maxim wool which the steel workers ---yes MEN used to knit into super zip -up cardies with wonderful designs of stags and indian chiefs they used to wear them when they went fishing ? Sorry they called the cardies GANZIES!

Edited by gladys clark
MISSED A V IMP BIT OUT

Hi Jan Softly/Jan Ward

I certainly remember Mr Mole's Pikelet Shop/Oatcake shop on Hillsborough, I used to visit it every Saturday Morning with my mum, the smell was incredible oh! what lovely memories !!

178 Patricia

Does anyone remember Mr Moule's cat that used to sit in the shop window whenever it was sunny?

Pickelet man used to sell his wares up on Foxhill Avenue back in the mid 70s. My mum felt sorry for him and would send us out to buy off him. He had a bike (black I think).

I remember Mr Mole's Pikelet shop and Oat Cake shop at Hillsborough, I was only a small child when I went with my mother every Saturday morning, and the lovely smell that came from the shop, although if I can remember I think Mr Mole also ate plenty of his own pikelets as he was a rather tubby gentleman ! I was born and brought up in Hillsborough and have many happy memories of times there.

178 Patricia