Does anyone know what Myrtle Road is like to live on?

Hi All,

My first post on this website. Thank you for excellent information.

We are a couple family and lived in Sheffield close to city center for more than 4 years. We are considering buying a property in the residential area of Myrtle Drive, Myrtle Crescent, Myrtle Close.

Could you please suggest/comment about the locality? What are the disadvantages of living in this locality? Any major crime/antisocial behaviour etc?

It will be very kind of you if you can contribute some time and comment on the above .Looking forward for your response.

Thank you for your time.:)

I live on the Drive, and it's very nice I have to say.

It has it's problems, like many areas - you don't leave valuables on display in your car, you don't leave your windows open and go out etc, but that's just common sense. The area to the back of the estate has its share of crime and unpleasant types, but generally it's a decent place to live. Like anywhere, there can be annoying kids, but they tend to be passing through, and not hang round.

It's very close to town, decent bus links into town, there's pubs down the hill (Sheaf View) and a taxi home is £6. You also get a lot of house for your money I would say.

What number are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi,

Thank you for your information.

We are eyeing on a few of them. Not confirmed anything yet.

8 Myrtle close is one of them, 1 Myrtle close and another one to view this weekend.

I will await for others to comment. I went to see the property last weekend and thought to roam around with a cup of coffee with me towards Myrtle roadf. Met a gentle man, drunk around 6.30 PM, who was insisting to offer him a coffee. I ended my conversation politely but the experience was not nice with him. It may be one off activity. Spoke to few neighbours, who have positive view. I will wait for other members to comment and suggest.

I am also looking a some properties in Hillsborough, not close to the football ground, but close to Malin Bridge tram station. Any comparison will be warmly appreciated.

Kind regards

Alok

Hi,

Thank you for your information.

We are eyeing on a few of them. Not confirmed anything yet.

8 Myrtle close is one of them, 1 Myrtle close and another one to view this weekend.

I will await for others to comment. I went to see the property last weekend and thought to roam around with a cup of coffee with me towards Myrtle roadf. Met a gentle man, drunk around 6.30 PM, who was insisting to offer him a coffee. I ended my conversation politely but the experience was not nice with him. It may be one off activity. Spoke to few neighbours, who have positive view. I will wait for other members to comment and suggest.

I am also looking a some properties in Hillsborough, not close to the football ground, but close to Malin Bridge tram station. Any comparison will be warmly appreciated.

Kind regards

Alok

Number 1 has a sold sign on it already.

Thank you, Yes you are right, we missed this one. Very Nice gentleman (previous owner). But there are few more upcoming in the market through same agency..

I will wait for others to comment. What i am concerned is walk during night time.. thanks

---------- Post added 18-04-2014 at 09:53 ----------

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback so far. Offer accepted now and i am looking forward to move into this area.

I will still welcome any feedback for Myrtle Crescent.

Thank you

Alok

Anyone got fibre optic broadband around here? Either BT, Virgin, Sky or any other providers?

I live on myrtle close and 99% certain we haven't got fibre round here. Which is annoying as my DL speeds seemed to have dropped recently

No, we dont have it. Sharrow Exchange has been 'Accepting Orders' for what seems like an eternity, but if i go to a supplier they say there's nothing to order!

Just had kids throwing stones (three times) at my

Window as they walked by (my flat looks onto Myrtle Rd) I just got a picture of their behind as they walked away. Anyone else had trouble or is it just half term antics?

Group of 5 - kid who threw stones was male; black; wearing dark rimmed glasses; grey sweat shirt and bottoms; around 11-13 years old

Thanks

Seems to be the traditional thing to do on this thread so, here goes...

Currently very seriously considering making an offer on a lovely house on this estate. We have had a drive about the area and viewed a couple of times but are both largely unfamiliar with that side of town (we're S6 at the moment but only a little terrace).

As I see it, the little estate itself looks great, the surrounding area is basically a down to earth Sheffield suburb/inner city area with nicer bits a 15 minute trot over towards Chesterfield Rd (Sheaf View, Brothers Arms pub for eg) and less nice areas headed over to East Bank Rd and beyond. Not necessarily somewhere you'd particularly like your partner to be walking around at night/waiting for a bus on their own (where is I guess...), but conversely not the sort of place you'd feel like needing a stab vest on at 4pm...

Wondered if the seemingly knowledgeable people on here had any pearls of wisdom that I should desperately know about, or whether my assessment was basically accurate!

Seems to be the traditional thing to do on this thread so, here goes...

Currently very seriously considering making an offer on a lovely house on this estate. We have had a drive about the area and viewed a couple of times but are both largely unfamiliar with that side of town (we're S6 at the moment but only a little terrace).

As I see it, the little estate itself looks great, the surrounding area is basically a down to earth Sheffield suburb/inner city area with nicer bits a 15 minute trot over towards Chesterfield Rd (Sheaf View, Brothers Arms pub for eg) and less nice areas headed over to East Bank Rd and beyond. Not necessarily somewhere you'd particularly like your partner to be walking around at night/waiting for a bus on their own (where is I guess...), but conversely not the sort of place you'd feel like needing a stab vest on at 4pm...

Wondered if the seemingly knowledgeable people on here had any pearls of wisdom that I should desperately know about, or whether my assessment was basically accurate!

Moderately accurate I'd say. I'd certainly not worry too much about safety. Like anywhere else - don't leave things on display in your car, lock your doors, but it's safe enough. Easy to get to town (I use taxis not buses, as I don't like buses. I imagine they cost about £2 to town, so if there's two of you, use a cab - it's £5 in Uber).

Only thing to be aware of is schools. If you have are considering kids, be prepared to move later, or do what we did and go private, otherwise you'll end up with Anne's Grove and then Newfield. I have my thoughts on them, as do OFSTED, but will let you make your own mind up. Just be aware of that though.

Other than that, it's a decent enough area. Some chavs wander about, but on the whole, not too bad at all.

Cheers, glad to hear that - had an offer accepted so hopefully moving forward with it. I am a secondary teacher so schools was something I'd considered (for any theoretical kids). To be honest, secondary is more of a concern than primary having had a look around. In that sense 11 plus years is a long time as far as school quality/admissions policies etc are concerned, so will begin to think about crossing that bridge if/when it comes!

Thanks again for the comments.

I live in the area, and it's nice and quiet especially traffic. Parking is better than most roads too. We do have fire-optic broadband someone was doubting. I love the farm at the bottom. There's a decent takeaway for Chinese, Indian and Pizza/Kebabs/burgers & a sandwich shop. Crime is low. Buses run from the school and post-office. The local dentist is pretty good and is taking new NHS patients. Can't think of anything else.