Old Harrow - White Lane

:sad:I used to go in the Harrow in my teens, long time ago now!!. Does anyone know when it first opened?

As a guess I would think about 1935 - 1940 around the same time as the Birley Hotel and Frecheville Esate was built.

Thanks for that sparky, I know its been there as long as I can ever remember, but I cant go back that many years, It sounds logical though, because when estates were built there were always pubs and shops included, so thats probably right, Ta.

We just gonna be left with towny pubs like walkabout, vodka revolution and crystal... with the ten bob millionares.

Apparently they are high class drinkning outlets

£4 for a pint anyone?

:sad:I used to go in the Harrow in my teens, long time ago now!!. Does anyone know when it first opened?

It was there in 1953 when a relative of mine moved onto the newly-built Birley Estate.

As a family we used to walk down to the Old Harrow then further down to the Phoenix, into Ridgeway to the Queens Head, finally to the Bridge Inn down in Ford bottom.

The kids would be brought a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps whilst the parents had a pint (or two) at each venue and then all quite cheerfully walk all the way back through the fields to Birley.

Oh, no-one had an argument or wanted to fight, it was all very happy!

According to this Site....Old Harrow White Lane, Gleadless 1901 Thomas Henry Walton 3

According to this Site....Old Harrow White Lane, Gleadless 1901 Thomas Henry Walton 3

Brilliant thanks, is there a link to the site?

People might start putting the world to rights over a pint and a fag - much better that they just soak up the propaganda that comes out of the TV. ;)

Very good point! it's all about governmental control, keep us living in fear of crime/war , limit the words we're allowed to use, keep us poor. George Orwell got it spot on!!

It was there in 1953 when a relative of mine moved onto the newly-built Birley Estate.

As a family we used to walk down to the Old Harrow then further down to the Phoenix, into Ridgeway to the Queens Head, finally to the Bridge Inn down in Ford bottom.

The kids would be brought a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps whilst the parents had a pint (or two) at each venue and then all quite cheerfully walk all the way back through the fields to Birley.

Oh, no-one had an argument or wanted to fight, it was all very happy!

Those really were the good days, remember them well, I'm afraid never to return, that sort of social life has gone now, these days if the most of the young ones haven't knocked the s--- out of someone its been a crap night. Very sad.

That was one of the reasons why it became known as the 'youth club'.