Commuting Leeds to Sheffield

hello everyone

For all you people who have the unfortunate experience of commuting - how long would it take to drive from Leeds to get to Sheffield (Hunters Bar) for 8.30am? All help greatly appreciated with this.

Thanks very much

hello everyone

For all you people who have the unfortunate experience of commuting - how long would it take to drive from Leeds to get to Sheffield (Hunters Bar) for 8.30am? All help greatly appreciated with this.

Thanks very much

My mate does it the other way and it`s a `mare! Allow 90 minutes plus I reckon.:(

you might find it easier and possibly cheaper to do it by train.

Hi. I don't commute but we do have family that live in Leeds. From our house in S5 it take us about 50 minutes to an hour to get to Leeds. So if your coming from Leeds to Hunters Bar, I'd say 1hour and 20 minutes or so, that's saying there's no traffic. I'd give yourself 1 hour 45minutes.

By train it's about 1 hour from Leeds to Sheffield, then you's need to catch a bus to hunters bar which would take 20 minutes from town depending on traffic.

I've done Leeds-Sheffield in the past and will be again soon.

It Very much depends on what part of Leeds and Sheffield.

For me, I am coming from 30 seconds drive from J47, and last time was only going to Brightside. As such, it only took an hour.

However, if your going from the far side of Leeds, to Hunters Bar, its going to take a lot longer, almost double perhaps. Quickest way would be off at J36 and through Hillborough

(well it will be once that damn roads finished).

Next year I'll be doing home to Hallam Uni. As such, its much, much easier to get the train, as I have not more than 30 seconds walk from House-Station, and Station-Uni.

Bear in mind aswell - if you can change your working hours to mean commuting outside of rush hours, you could knock and hour or two of your working day.

Thanks everyone for your info. This trip is a car trip, train is not an option (variious reasons...). So it sounds like it is not a quick smooth trip?

Problem is, It could take you as long to do the 5 miles across Sheffield as it does to do the 35 miles on the M1

It sounds like an unpredictable commute, time-wise. So everyone - what would the consensus be for how long it would take in rush hour? (I know, piece of string etc, but all guestimates would be very helpful)

Thanks again

Having done the route for over a year myself and from Brincliffe Edge, it would take me, on a clear day, no accidents etc, setting off at 7.00am about 1.30hrs to 1.20hrs. However, on average it would be nearly 2hours due to traffic, accidents, weather, roadworks etc.....

Just getting down the Parkway can easlily take half an hour, you would be better coming off at 34 and going in via Brightside and the new ringroad, I would not like to guess how long it would take though but if I had to I would say 1hour1/2 depending on how long it takes you to escape Leeds.

I catch the 7.15 coach to From Sheffield to Briggate in Leeds. Can arrive anywhere between 8:10 and 8:45 (usually the nearer the latter!). Driving is much the same really. The train is quicker and usually more reliable but it is a miserable experience.

I started this very same thread a few months ago before I moved to Leeds (might be able to find it on a search, I got some good responses).

I now commute to Sheffield from South East Leeds, 35 miles from work in Sheff city centre. I live a few minutes from J30 of the M62 and always have to crawl the few miles to J29 where I join the M1. It's always sticky for a while around the Wakefield junctions but then its pretty free flowing. I get off M1 at J36 (Sheffield North) and travel into Sheffield City Centre on the A61. Main places I get stuck are Grenoside, then Halifax Road and Penistone Road are always rammed. I find it is less stressful to go this way than keep going to the Parkway plus a lot of my colleagues end up late in when the Parkway is busy.

I set off at about 7.20am and get in for 8.30 if not before. I don't start work until 8.50 though so I have a 20 minute safety net if I get stuck in worse traffic than usual!

Where in Leeds are you coming from? I'm relatively lucky that I'm near the motorway and Leeds is pretty much behind me by the time I get to the M1.

Also, major roadworks are supposed to be starting this week for 25 weeks between J37 and J36 of M1 so might mean an even earlier start!

If you're thinking of commuting long term, I would have a good think about how you will cope with it. I've been commuting a few months and it can be quite soul destroying and take a lot of evening time away, plus extra tired from getting up so much earlier. I try not to get angry or stressed when I'm driving in rush hour otherwise I'd be angry A LOT! I'm managing it, but I work a rotating shift pattern so at most I do two morning rush hours a week.

Sorry this post is soooo long, I remember wishing people would be more specific when I asked this question! Hope this helps.