Where can I buy fresh yeast?

Hi there, does anybody know where I can buy fresh yeast?

Not dried yeast, fresh stuff. I don't even know what it looks like.

Thanks

Its kind of pale browny colour and soft and crumbly - a bit like some types of goats cheese I guess.

Morrison's at Hillsborough sell it, its very cheap but a short shelf life.

I have got some free from the bakers at Tesco on Infirmary road too. Any baker is likely to use fresh yeast so should be able to sell or give you some.

yes i think if you ask at the bakery counters theyll have it

Morrisons is your best bet, don't know if the other supermarkets sell it fresh

Morrisons is your best bet, don't know if the other supermarkets sell it fresh

Read my post - Tesco's don't have it on the shelf but they will give it to you from the bakery.

Its dirt cheap, literally pennies, to buy off the shelf in Morrisons and the bakery will buy it in such bulk that the amount a home baker is likely to need will cost them nothing. The packs ion Morrisons are over 100g and I have never had enough time or needed enough bread to use a whole one, however hard I've tried!

Fresh yeast may have a short shelf life but it does freeze well.

Morrissons used to sell it in one big lump, but the last time I bought some there, the 100g was already packaged in 4 separate foil wrappers - just ready to pop in the freezer...

Fresh yeast may have a short shelf life but it does freeze well.

Morrissons used to sell it in one big lump, but the last time I bought some there, the 100g was already packaged in 4 separate foil wrappers - just ready to pop in the freezer...

didn't realise you could freeze it! That's very good to know. How should you go about defrosting it?

Never really noticed exactly how much time it takes to defrost....but not very long - it's pretty obvious when it's soft enough to use.

If in doubt, take it from the freezer the day before you want to use it and pop it in the fridge overnight - it'll certainly be fine by the morning.

It depends what you want the yeast for.

If you want yeast for brewing buy a bottle of bottle conditioned beer. Leave it to stand for a couple of days. Then pour carefully into a glass leaving the yeast in the bottle.

Use that to brew your beer and you will end up with a bucket full of the stuff.

Otherwise try one of themicro breweries in Sheffield.

If your search for yeast is for breadmaking, and you're thinking of getting it from a supermarket - be careful with that stuff. The precise nature of what's in it is not public knowledge - it doesn't have the usual 'ingredients' label.

ask at the bakery counters in supermarkets

tesco give it away free

sainsbo charge 16p a lump

you just need to ask

and its well worth it

:)

There is a place at Heeley, Thirlwell Road off Chesterfield Rd (up from the Red Lion).

I think it is called Hukins, its like someones house, but they have every kind of baking products, its been there donkeys x