Dog barking/yapping all the time.

The problem with bark collars is that there is often a delay between the bark and the consequence - punishment has to be timed perfectly to be effective.

I have a dog that will occasionally bark for attention and is gradually improving with her over zealous guarding bark! She used to be a lot worse but is thankfully settling down.

Although barking is a very difficult behaviour to stop without punishment, there are several things to consider before just launching into a punishment regime:

WHY is your dog barking? Is she afraid? Excited? Attention seeking? This will help you realise what the dog gets out of barking, and in turn, how you can prevent the behaviour being rewarding.

Is your dog of a nervous disposition? If she is noise sensitive, a tin full of pebbles can seriously set her back. Barking can often be due to insecurity and if she is made to feel afraid by a bottle of pebbles, it'll only serve to worsen the behaviour.

One of my dogs nearly pees her pants when you get a 'pet corrector' spray out - hence we never use it. My other dog isn't at all bothered by it but will cower when a bottle of pebbles is shaken.

You don't want to frighten the dog, only to link the behaviour with something undesirable (that could be you leaving the room if the dog is a 'velcro-dog').

Guarding barking (like the barking at your neighbours' movements) is often down to insecurity. Especially if the barking usually occurs as they're leaving the house - 'I bark, the thing that's making me feel insecure goes away'.

So first you have to try and stop the dog being reinforced for the barking... this is not easily done when the reinforcement lies within other people but if you can distract her with play/food (I use primula cheese to distract mine from the postman as you can continue to squeeze it out!), then she isn't barking and therefore isn't reinforced for barking.

This means speaking to your neighbours and asking what time they're likely to be going out in the morning so that you can be there to stop the behaviour from happening. The fewer times a behaviour is reinforced, the less likely it is the behaviour will happen.

Another thing to do is distinguish if it is anxiety that's causing her to bark, maybe try using an anxiety wrap or a DAP diffuser (or both) which help to reassure the dog. You can also use the wrap and DAP in conjunction with a sounds CD which has sounds of doors and banging etc to use in systematic desensitisation of noise sensitivity.

I hope that makes sense as I don't usually make much sense after 10pm but don't have time during the day!! :lol:

Cesar Millan suggests a claw like strike to the neck of the dog everytime he is about to bark to stop them from getting into the whole barking frenzy!

Excersise, Discipline and affection in that order, works every time.

Cesar Millan suggests a claw like strike to the neck of the dog everytime he is about to bark to stop them from getting into the whole barking frenzy!

Excersise, Discipline and affection in that order, works every time.

Yes he does doesn't he... he also suggests a lot of other vile ways to 'train' your dog.

Yes he does doesn't he... he also suggests a lot of other vile ways to 'train' your dog.

He doesn't train dogs, he rehabilitates them!

Rehabilitates them ? That is indeed a matter of opinion & one which I strongly dissagree with.

My next door neighbour has a westie she leaves out for about 3 hours every day and it just continuously barks the whole time it is so annoying. Any suggestions as to how I could approach the subject of trying any of these possible solutions without her getting annoyed with me?

The problem is that she is the type of person who will just get rid of the dog without a 2nd thought if she thinks its too much trouble. I dont want to be responsible for the poor dog being thrown out .

Last time I checked, rehabilitate did not have the same meaning as 'bully' but ok we'll just agree on different pronunciations ;)

My next door neighbour has a westie she leaves out for about 3 hours every day and it just continuously barks the whole time it is so annoying. Any suggestions as to how I could approach the subject of trying any of these possible solutions without her getting annoyed with me?

The problem is that she is the type of person who will just get rid of the dog without a 2nd thought if she thinks its too much trouble. I dont want to be responsible for the poor dog being thrown out .

He may well end up with someone who cares :(

Wish the owners of dogs in woodhouse would keep them quiet I don’t blame the dogs but how can you let dogs out in this hot weather to bark all day it’s been like crufts today please shut em up

Wish the owners of dogs in woodhouse would keep them quiet I don’t blame the dogs but how can you let dogs out in this hot weather to bark all day it’s been like crufts today please shut em up

Its awful the amount of dogs left outside all weathers, I wonder how they would enjoy it!

Hi , I am also having some problems with my GSD, it barks all the time in car never stop and also some times in the garden.we take the dog to work every day in car.I think I have more trouble than you. Fortunately I found a dog trainer last Monday from internet , the the problem of barking in car is done. You may need a good dog trainer.

Edited by Lavenda

Don't they make special dog collars that prevent that?