Pinch Collars and Choke chains / training

I have obviously read lots of negative things about Pinch collars and choke chains but I read an article in a magizine (I'm trying to find which one it was) saying that even though these tools are very easy to abuse, when used properly they are very effective.

The idea is that they should only be used to distract the dog, not to inflict pain.

It was a long article but something it later said which was very interesting was that people are now relying too heavily on purley positive methods of training (specifically using treats). Usually the results are quicker when people use treats (making the owners falsely believe the dog respects this training) when it fact the dog isn't responding to you because he respects you, its because he expects a reward, and it is the fact its because the dog 'expects' the reward when more problems start to develop.

what are other peoples thoughts on this?